mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fox DHX or 5th for VP-Free ? (x-post dh forum)

Went into the lbs today and they said they could save me $150 if I went with a 5th Element shock instead of the DHX on the VP Free. Both shocks get good reviews. The DHX seems like the latest and greatest offering in the shock market. Anyone have a chance to compare these on a VP Free ? opinions in general ? Thanx

rollin
    Quote Originally Posted by keen
    5th Element shock or DHX on the VP Free. x
    i've got the 5th on my vpfree. my only comment would be that there seems to be a redundency in platform. the vpfree has pedalling efficiency designed into it. i think you might get a more active suspension with the dhx. the 5th element will give you a more platform feel. with that platform dial on the dhx though, it's easy to add more platform or take it away. the dhx will be easier to adjust on the trail.

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    I'd go with the DHX. I've got it on mine and I run the boost valve at the lowest pressure with the platform near the lightest setting. There's plenty of platform is you want it, but I don't want it. The 5th's combined with VPP that I tested felt a bit more firm that what I'd want on a big bike.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    duplicate post...
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member

I'd go with the DHX...

I did a blurb on this a little while ago.

Go here to see it VP-Free 6 month review

mtbr member

New question here. Question for " tacowheels" about Vpfree

I'm in the market for a DHX for my vp free and I'm on the fence about which spring rate I should get. I have it setup strickly for downhill with a 888 up front and I have been told by some that I should use a 450lb and then others say I should use a 500lb.
    I weigh about 180lbs with all my gear on .
    I see that you are using a 450lb spring and your weight is 190lbs , and you say that is higher than what is recommended?
    I'm leaning toward the 450lb based on what you wrote. I just wanted to see if you are still satisfied with the 450lb.

Thanks for your help.

mtbr member

Still happy with the #450

Hey Tree, check your PM.
    Yeah, I am still happy with the #450. I haven't bottomed it out yet, although the rear tire has hit the seat a couple of times when I have it rammed all the way down (but that isn't the full 8.5 inch travel). See if you can order them both in to try out for a ride, then return the one that you don't like...

Anyone else had the tire hit the seat?

mtbr member

Thanks tacowheels............

Check your pm, I just wrote you back.