mtbr member
    Jun 2008

New question here. Fox 36 Talas 160mm vs 130mm vs 100mm

It always feels harder / much harder to pedal when I set travel to 130 or 100 instead of 160 on my Nomad. Anybody else experience this? Is there any basis in fact / physics for this to happen. I even checked to see if my brakes were rubbing with the smaller travel and of course they weren't (not that there would be any reason for them to). Just a nagging question. Thank you!

banned
    The main reason I use no other travel setting except full. It feels like my toes are going to go into the ground. You're lowering your BB height somewhat, but also the frames are designed to keep a certain attitude at specified travel, which gets all messed up when sag goes excessive or the travel is reduced. Also, many suspension designs are made around a certain relationship between certain suspension elements and the chain to the ground. Alter that with a too short fork, wrong sag, and you take away the idea the designer had of how it's supposed to work.

mtbr member
    I have recently put a lyric u-turn coil on my Nomad and find it more comfy for xc riding with the travel at 130-140 mm....??? So I can't answer your question? But maybe it;s a mental thing, there is no real reason why it should pedal worse, escpecially at 130mm??

banned
    Well, don't forget how headangle plays into the whole thing. Let's say you have a head angle in the range of 68 degrees, balanced sag, and all. That would help you get over the rocks and other features a bit easier, and make it also more likely to compress the fork over them.

Now let's say you lower your travel to some lower settings, and you get 69 or even 70 degrees out of it. Every bump, babyhead, root, or otherwise is more likely to stop you or scrub a large amount of speed off. That lends itself to the slower feeling and the greater sluggishness.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yes, it does feel at 160 travel that the front "glides" over everything. With less travel (probably due to Nomad geometry), feels that my weight is pressed down into the fork (or something).

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I've have a Fox 36 Talas RC2 160mm 2007 and I feel the same but pedal feeling in the 130 and 100 mm postion in a flat road, in a very hard climb it's possible to use the 130 mm position with no but pedal feeling, the 100 mm is useless.

This is a well know common issue with the Nomad. The perfect Talas fork for the Nomad would be a 140 - 160 - 180 mm.

Cheers from Spain (I'm sorry for my poor english)

BBW
    mtbr member
    It is not a Nomad thing, I feel it on my Titus. What I have noticed is that if my shock is in the very plush side, sag change and pedal stroke too because of compression and geometry. As this happens your legs never get fully extented and it becomes extremelly anaerobic and the typical burning becomes very apparent

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BBW
    It is not a Nomad thing, I feel it on my Titus. What I have noticed is that if my shock is in the very plush side, sag change and pedal stroke too because of compression and geometry. As this happens your legs never get fully extented and it becomes extremelly anaerobic and the typical burning becomes very apparent
    Same here. I had a Talas 36 on my Moment. For most riding, 130 felt too low, 160 too high.
    I just sold that frame and fork, replaced it with a Blur LT1 and '09 Van 140. Yet to get a ride in, just finished her up.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

banned
    Hell, on my RFX, I even added a 7mm King crown race spacer to get a bit slacker.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Hell, on my RFX, I even added a 7mm King crown race spacer to get a bit slacker.

I like that idea.
    I'd hit it, but I bruise like a peach.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    same problem on my nomad and i always use the full travel

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I have a Talas on my Nomad and use it 20 times a ride. I personally could care less about adjusting the travel in the rear of my bike, but the ability to change the geometry in the front is awsome. Dropping the travel to 130 makes the HA like 68.5 which make the bike rail through tight turny sections, and makes for a more trail friendly geometry (esp SA) for climbing and general trails. At 100 the front end is too low for most riding IMO, but on several super steep trails or when I want to shorten the wheelbase for steep switchbacks it is sweet.

Travel adjust is right up there with adjustable seatpost IMO. I've never felt any effect on the ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I am a bit concerned that the TALAS system for the 36's ('11 and '12 models) only has 160 / 120mm adjustment.. I was really hoping for 160mm / 140mm / 120mm or similar (I would never use the 120mm in this case), or at least 160mm / 130mm. Can anyone comment on this? Is this ok - Or perhaps time to consider another fork?

I dream on two wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by ForestHorse View Post
    It always feels harder / much harder to pedal when I set travel to 130 or 100 instead of 160 on my Nomad. Anybody else experience this? Is there any basis in fact / physics for this to happen. I even checked to see if my brakes were rubbing with the smaller travel and of course they weren't (not that there would be any reason for them to). Just a nagging question. Thank you!
    I noticed the same thing with one of my travel adjust forks on my Nomad and I couldn't figure out why. Even on a flat section, if I would lower it to 130mm it would seem harder to pedal.
    Whiskey

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by maxwolfie View Post
    I am a bit concerned that the TALAS system for the 36's ('11 and '12 models) only has 160 / 120mm adjustment.. I was really hoping for 160mm / 140mm / 120mm or similar (I would never use the 120mm in this case), or at least 160mm / 130mm. Can anyone comment on this? Is this ok - Or perhaps time to consider another fork?
    Do you climb fire roads and steep switch backs on your Nomad? If so, I find dropping it to 120 helps, ALOT! It's not meant to be used for general trail riding at 120mm, just to aid in climbing. I have a 2011 on my Nomad, and it's perfect for me...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Sorry, I have a Blur LT2.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've got the fox 36rc2 on my nomad. i've found that for the vast majority of my riding the bike works best in the 130 setting. On the steeps i always extend to 160 for the decents. Only sometimes on very steep climbs will i set it to the 100 setting. i do agree - in the lowest setting it feels like there is a lot more drag on the bike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It is all rider preferance, I used the talas on my nomad for a week or two and for the past two years I have never touched it.