mtbr member

fork for a new heckler

My friend is looking into a 09 (?) heckler. The LBS is recommeding a maverick duc32. What do you guys think? I think I would lean toward a 36 talas or a rockshox pike.
    Other ideas?
    thanks
    Cycle tracks will abound in Utopia. ~H.G. Wells

I Like Bicycles
    What kind of riding? Is he weight conscious? Does he want more stiffness and travel?
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member

more info

Matching the back travel more or less is probably the best bet. But I think the new heckler is 150mm, and the only way to match that exactly would be with adjustable fork I think. So the question becomes adjustment on the long side or the shorter side?
    He will be doing mostly trail riding, with some drops of 4-5 ft. Lot of climbing inbetween. I'm guessing he is a bit weight conscious or why the maverick. But he weighs in at 210 lb so he could just shed a pound and make up any difference in forks.
    Since I ride with him often and see that he doesn't tinker with the bike much he probably would be well served by having a dependable low maintenance fork.

Underweight Rider
    I went with a Vanilla 36 RC2 on my 08 heckler(imo a low maintenance fork) and so far i have found it to climb well, front hardly feels overly light. I would even go as far to say that the fork is overbuilt for the frame though initially i was looking for a Pike 454 Coil but the lbs didnt have one in stock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Pike 426/454, Lyric, or Vanilla 36.

bike rider
    Love my DUC32 but I don't know if it's well suited to a fatty. All the parts in it are built pretty minimally. My 36TALAS is a lot beefier. I think he'd be best off with a Fox 32TALAS 15QR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    Love my DUC32 but I don't know if it's well suited to a fatty. All the parts in it are built pretty minimally. My 36TALAS is a lot beefier. I think he'd be best off with a Fox 32TALAS 15QR.
    I'm kinda thinkin' the same. Perhaps a maxle lite revelation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If its lots of climbing Pike coil should be fine, lower maintenance and you can lock out for climbing, Lyric is also good just a bit harder to climb with you have to wind it in to around 130 to have the same A-C as the Pike at 140, I have both for my Heckler for general trails I like the Pike for uplifts and downhill the Lyric is tops. Also the DHX-5 coil is a great match for the coil Lyric and Pike, I've got a float R and to me it gives the Pike to much of a hard time , its of to be Push'd so hopefully it will improve, my DHX-5 coil is Push'd as is the Pike awsome set up from the Push guys TFT.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I wouldn't touch the DUC32 with a barge pole. Flexy, not very strong. Seen one fold after a small jump, another the QR thingme breaking and bolts rattling loose (easy fixed but still not confidence inspiring). The Pike is a much better fork. I have a 32 Talas on my old (03)Heckler and 36 Talas on my new (08) Heckler.

Pike or Fox 32 for more XC
    Talas/Van 36 for more AM

IMO.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004
    I have a 09 Talas RC2 on mine, really plush even compared to a previous 05 Vanilla 36R, It really matches the Heckler 130 for the majority of tracks 90 for the climbs and then the 160 for the confidence for the rocky downs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffus
    If its lots of climbing Pike coil should be fine, lower maintenance and you can lock out for climbing, Lyric is also good just a bit harder to climb with you have to wind it in to around 130 to have the same A-C as the Pike at 140, I have both for my Heckler for general trails I like the Pike for uplifts and downhill the Lyric is tops. Also the DHX-5 coil is a great match for the coil Lyric and Pike, I've got a float R and to me it gives the Pike to much of a hard time , its of to be Push'd so hopefully it will improve, my DHX-5 coil is Push'd as is the Pike awsome set up from the Push guys TFT.
    That helps a lot. I will pass the info on.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I would go with a Pike 454 coil. Cheap, somewhat light, adjustable it has it all. I have it on my hardtail and I love it.

mtbr member
    My friend went in and made the purchase. They had a bike on the floor with a 36 RC2. I'll let you know how he likes it.
    By the way I rode it around his driveway, boy is that thing sweet. There is a small but steep climb in is drive, and that rear end seemed super efficient. I hope I get some trials on it.
    thanks everyone for the input.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    He should be well pleased the Heckler if he has the Talas 36 climbing should be less painful and going down great fun :-)