mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Fond goodbye to my Tallboy, Epic next

I've been ridding a Tallboy for 2 years, since before there were letters after the name. I came from a Rip9 but that's another story.

I really liked the Tallboy but wasn't 100% happy with the rear shock. I started with the stock Rp23 and had too much mid stroke wallow. I think what really effected me was riding a single speed hardtail half the time. I found I was always using the platform and I came to want a firmer and firmer feel. I didn't notice or care about pedal bob and am not an mtb racer but was annoyed by a wallowy feel. I switched to an RT3 Monarch about a year ago to get more platform and it was better but with both shocks I kept upping the pressure for a firmer feel. I also liked how the bike rode with less sag while climbing. The downside was not using 3/8" of the shock travel and it was fairly harsh on rough downhills. I was considering buying a Pushed RT3 but they are difficult* to get and expensive. A Monarch XX with full lockout was another option.

Instead I gave in and bought an inexpensive used 2012 Epic alloy frame. For the feel I want it's better. With the brain 2 clicks from full on it's firm while pumping smooth terrain but opens up on rough downhills to be much plusher than my Tallboy was. However I can't imagine buying a Horst link bike without the brain as it has so much pedal bob without the the brain set high. A DW link bike with the brain would be a winner in my book. I also plan to send the shock to specialized yearly for service but will probably try to get a 2014 carbon Epic frame at some point.
    2 wheels

"Ride Lots" Eddy Merckx
    "Big Gulps huh?...Allllriggghhht....Welp, See ya later!"

mtbr member extraordinair
    Until patents run out on the brain and DW link, you will never get that bike.
    Grit, spit, and a whole lot of duct tape!

Warrior's Society
    Hmmmm......I split my time from my Tallboy and a Highball SS. Doesn't seem to be a problem for me.....and I actually spend more time on the SS.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    While I'm sure not many people are looking for the same outcome I am, somewhere someone is, so this is my bread crumb trail. I've been on full suspension since my Proflex 855 followed by a bunch of others and used to prefer fully active followed by various short links. When I first heard of the Brain thing I thought it was unnecessary but things change.
    I wonder if I'll tire of the Brain thing before the patent runs out?
    2 wheels

More Torque
    I appreciate the perspective. I've demoed the XXL TB, and my brother owns one as well, and it does seem to wallow a bit for my taste. Nice bike, but not quite the pedaling performance I was looking for. I ended up with a DW Mojo, which has the pedaling characteristics that I was looking for. I do have a flexible rear shock, with open, strong platform, and lockout, which makes the bike even more versatile. I also have a HT Santa Cruz, so I'm a fan of the brand, and I really appreciate that they make some big bikes for us tall folk.

-D