mtbr member

Floating brake on Bullit?

Thinking of putting a floating rear brake on my '08 Bullitt..Don't know much about them.Can some of you more experienced guys,give me some insight on this.Pros/Cons worth it/or more hype than its worth.????????????

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Well im a lil biased coz im running one and i love it. I rode my Bullit for a few months without it and it was no problem but once i put the floater on Woh mumma! I liked it and i aint going back i can tell you that.
    It makes the Bullit more DH freindly, you can brake later and better and it doesnt buck you like Bullits do so well. The only down sides i can see is that its costs money and it makes your bike heavier. Big Woop lose some fat or gain some muscle i say!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CHUNKY NUGGET
    Well im a lil biased coz im running one and i love it. I rode my Bullit for a few months without it and it was no problem but once i put the floater on Woh mumma! I liked it and i aint going back i can tell you that.
    It makes the Bullit more DH freindly, you can brake later and better and it doesnt buck you like Bullits do so well. The only down sides i can see is that its costs money and it makes your bike heavier. Big Woop lose some fat or gain some muscle i say!
    I think you just helped make up my mine. I have and XT fr. derailuer,will it work?

mtbr member
    I'm not sure I'd bother with it for XC, but for DH shuttling its a no brainer, you need one Mr Nugget has summed things up pretty well really, its just "better" with the arm on. You could watch my sister and I riding through the same corner, her without a floater, me with, and you can see her getting bucked about more from the brake jack. She is much lighter than me so doesn't feel it so much, but I'm told its noticeable (not that I've seen it, I was on the bike!).

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hey Al if only you and your sister had the same size frames, itd be great to compare them, just for kicks! Try this test Al, stand next to the bike with the back brake firmly on, now compress the suspension. You should notice on the Bullit without the floating brake that the rear wheel rotates forward in time with the suspension going down. On your Bullit with the FB the wheel will stay still and your suspension will move by itself.
    Thats the magic! Funny how that small change, changes so much.

mtbr member
    My sister wants to try the floating arm. Thankfully its easy to bolt on/off so we'll do that sometime. Just need a free weekend (so, err, Christmas maybe?).