mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Flexy Heckler (2 months old)

So I have my new Heckler, and riding it is a joy. However I have noticed some flex and wobble that concerns me given the price of the bike.

If I grip the seatpost and tug the tier laterally, you can see the derailleur shifting about a centimeter laterally also (into and away from the spokes).

If I grip the seatpost and tug laterally on the chainstay/rear triangle, you can watch the gap between the rear shock mount and the seatstay grow and shrink a couple of millimeters.

I did notice today that the main pivot bolt was loose. I hand tightened it for the time being since I don't have my torque wrench up here.

Should I be concerned with the play I see? The bike is only 2 months old, but I have been doing a good amount of riding on it. The rear quick release skewer also has come loose a couple times causing me to notice the play in the rear tire/hub. I am certainly due for my first tune up but it this lateral play in the frame suppose to be there? Is something seriously wrong?

Thanks in advance!!! This makes me kinda nervous :help:

Steve

Underweight Rider
    Wow, after reading your post i tried what you described but the gap between the rear shock mount and seatstay moved like 2-3mm.....which i think it pretty normal. I didnt notice anything like derailleur shifting a cm(which is quite a LOT).
    I think you would need to have your lbs check all the pivots before your next ride. Good luck.

So was the play eliminated after you tightened the pivot bolt? You should more than just hand-tighten that bolt if you're going to ride it. What kind of quick release do you have on the bike that's coming loose? Do you have play in the hub or not? You might be scaring yourself, too...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    So was the play eliminated after you tightened the pivot bolt? You should more than just hand-tighten that bolt if you're going to ride it. What kind of quick release do you have on the bike that's coming loose? Do you have play in the hub or not? You might be scaring yourself, too...

The entire bike is the DAM kit. The quick release are shimano, I assume part of the M525 hubs.

The shifting I see in the derailleur seems like a combination of rim, hub, and frame flex :dunno:

I've not had a Shimano quick release lever loosen on me, you sure you know how to tighten one? You might want to wait until you can have a bike shop check it out...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    I've not had a Shimano quick release lever loosen on me, you sure you know how to tighten one? You might want to wait until you can have a bike shop check it out...
    Pretty sure I know how to tighten one. I ride hard. It is super tight right now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I tried 4 QR on my Heckler until I found one that stayed tight , I use the DT Swiss RWS , its never come loose, I tried Hope, Shimano, Clubroost, Mavic and finally DT swiss. I'm looking to change my rear axle to a bolt through on my next wheels. My Heckler recently had flex or movement turned out to be pivot bearings collapsed.