mtbr member
    Aug 2008

First gen Heckler or new Heckler or Bullit

I have an original first generation Heckler. My kids are now riding bikes and have now got me back on my bike after not riding much for the last five years.

After a couple of jumps last week I felt that there was something not-right with my Rock Shox Judy XLC dual crown fork. I took it in to a local shop and they determined that it had no rebound and it needed to be rebuilt. Well, instead of rebuilding, I bought a new 4" Fox RL 32. It seems like a great fork but I sure like the looks of the 6" travel bikes.

So the question is. I like the Santa Cruz bikes. I like the looks of the long travel bikes. Do I really need 6" of travel? Probably not, but why not?

I'm not as good as I once was, now that I'm a whopping 43 years old. I can still jump, I can still single track, I can still do 10' drops...in my mind. I am an agressive rider with a BMX and dirt bike background. I have my Heckler set-up more down-hill looking, with the seat lower and 2" rise bars.

I like the way the new Hecklers look, I like the way the Bullits look even more.

Am I really going to notice a big difference in the way these bikes ride compared to my old Heckler that doesnt even have disc brakes.

I dont have unlimited funds, so a good used bike might work, if I know what years to look for. I can also get a good deal on a Turner 6 pack frame. But if I wait too long that will be gone, plus I would still need to buy all the other parts for it.

Looking for some advice.

Great forum by the way.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Congested,

I would say you would DEFINATELY notice the difference from your old reliable Heckler. I made the switch from a 2000 era Heckler (2nd Generation) to the 4th generation. I cross threaded the BB but it all worked out for the best as I got a new ride about a year and a half ago, It is worlds better than the old bike, Has the same magic feel but with a much more active and plush feel in the suspension. Not to mention the added stiffness in the frame, Space for larger tires, to me a newer Heckler is a must. Before I made the switch I put a Fox Float 140 on the old frame, and I must say that I did not like it, it raked the front end out way too much, and felt it was a ticking bomb waiting to rip the headtube off.

and having 6 Inches of travel will definately be a good thing for your 43 year old frame. It is very trailable, and with the advanced platform shocks of the modern age, any negatives to that much travel are more than compensated for. Go for longer travel, newer frame, you wont be dissapointed.

I still have my Hecklers of the last two generations plus the current one. They're all different, but I've found each newer version to be better. From your described riding, you won't be disappointed with the newest one. It's not necessarily about what you "need" anyways, is it? Go for it.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks you guys.

I was hoping that the latest would be the best. I wonder what I can get for the old Heckler?
    I was thinking $400 or $500, but with the new fork maybe I can grab a bit more.

I wonder how the Bullit compares with the new Heckler?

Congested

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

since your old Heckler is not worth much at all...

(I know, I still have my '98), why not buy the 6" bike you want and turn your old bike into a singlespeed- I did, and its a blast to ride, sometimes more fun than riding my geared bike. I am very glad I didn't sell it for a couple of hundred bucks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Interesting bars. and why only a front brake?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

the bar is a generic Soma Sparrow bar-

Quote Originally Posted by tnjsch
    Interesting bars. and why only a front brake?
    called a 3-speed retro handlebar. I only use the bike around town, so top speed is under 20mph, therefore I don't need a rear brake- no big hills. It doesn't go offroad anymore- it is semi-retired, due to a "small" crack in the swingarm. It still takes off like a rocket- just grab the front part of the handlebars and give it a kick.

Quote Originally Posted by dumper
    (I know, I still have my '98), why not buy the 6" bike you want and turn your old bike into a singlespeed- I did, and its a blast to ride, sometimes more fun than riding my geared bike. I am very glad I didn't sell it for a couple of hundred bucks.

Nice! Now that's something I hadn't thought to do with my older Heckler(s)...

Shock is functional, yes? Anything special about the tensioner? Just overall curious if you have had any chain issues....

Oh, to the OP about both the current Bullit and Heckler, you might like the newer Bullit from the riding you described, especially if you're not climbing much as it just doesn't do that as well (but decently for what it is). I've ridden both and unless I was going to play downhill (and I've got a Nomad for that anyways), the Heckler is a more suitable everything bike.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Shock and fork work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Nice! Now that's something I hadn't thought to do with my older Heckler(s)...

Shock is functional, yes? Anything special about the tensioner? Just overall curious if you have had any chain issues....

Tensioner and spacers are the $20 Performance kit. Once I got the chain line straight, AND the chain length correct, there have been no issues- just crank away.

To the op, I am not trying to steal your thread- hey, we both have original Hecklers and don't/ didn't know what to do with them, and we are both old, although I am alot older than you! Also, I did replace my Heckler with a 5", then a 6" bike, like you are thinking about. Just trying to help out...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Maybe I'll put some ape-hangers on the old Heckler.

I took it for another spin tonight with the new Fox 32 fork. I'm liking it. Its a good street jumper bike. My new fork is white. It looks kind of girly.

And yes, I guess 43 is old. I was always the one the people thought I looked 5 or more years younger than I am, pretty much untill recently. How young can you really look when 45 is knocking out the door.

Mid-life crisis here I come.

I'm building an old hot rod too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hell, I still ride my old heckler all the time, nothing wrong with it...I also ride my older bullit too... Yeah the new bikes are probably much better, but hey they havent changed the trails around here much since I can remember, and my bikes always worked, so why spend more money on something I really don't need? Anyways good luck to whatever you decide... also, in case you do get a new bike, you can always give the older one to one of the kids to "keep it in the family"...