mtbr member
    May 2009

First FS Bike - Heckler?

Hello Guys,

I'm new here, so take it easy with my mistakes... I'm riding Ht's for a long time , XC rides mostly, and this year I started to do hard trails with a lot of rocks, small jumps, steep technical climbs and fast downhills. I saw many people with full suspension bikes holding fast turns and hard sections with a little effort and I tried one and thought that this is really comfortable!! I started to research on Treks Fuels (I have a HT 8500), Anthems, Scalpels and than SC Hecklers caught my attention for being sturdy bikes that can be used for improving comfort on XCs and confidence on hard trails. But here in Brasil we are out of SC decent dealers. Prices are too high and what you find is normally badly equipped. so for the questions:

I found one used 2008 here with these specs:

SC Heckler 2008 Large kit Dam:

RearD Shimano XT shadow
    Front d SLX
    shifters Shimano Deore
    brakes Avid Juicy 3 (185mm front e 160mm rear)
    bars Truvativ XC
    crankset RACE FACE Ride XC
    Headset Cane Creek S1 1 1/8
    Selim WTB Pure V comp
    tires Kenda Nevegal 2.35 wire
    Canote Truvativ
    front susp: Rock Shock RECON 351
    rear susp: Fox Float R
    price: 3200 dollars

What do you think is the weak part of this bike that I should urgently upgrade?
    I read a lot of problems with this rear susp float r, is this sh...t???
    what should I be concerned about when looking this used bike? Like are there parts that I should check for common problems etc?

Yesterday, I was riding with my friends and I saw this scary moment when one riding, not so fast while going down, a Heckler hit the rear brake a little bit harder on a small rocks dirt road and he almost felt of the bike because the rear wheel slipped several times from one to other side. Well, I heard that this is common on a sigle pivot FS bike. This is really bad if happen on a hard trail section, when you need to rely on brakes. Is this avoidable? How?

thanks for any help,
    Tiago

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I just bought a new Heckler about a month ago, after not riding mountain bikes for the last 15 years. The bike is awesome and I'm really happy with it. I'd buy it.

mtbr member
    I love my heckler and haven't really had a problem with the Float R rear shock...but where do you live cause $3200 for that setup USED seems like a lot of money when retail on an R AM setup which has pretty much better everything on it is less than $3200 new...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 123ski
    I love my heckler and haven't really had a problem with the Float R rear shock...but where do you live cause $3200 for that setup USED seems like a lot of money when retail on an R AM setup which has pretty much better everything on it is less than $3200 new...
    yep, lot of money for USED DAM kit... Im in So Paulo - Brasil, where high tax, import tax and the only Santa Cruz dealer here sucks, pretty much most of bike dealers here want to become rich really fast or something else thats beyond my understanding...

If anyone is coming here, please bring me one, Ill be sparkling happy and Ill host and introduce you to a lot of trails here!!! No kidding

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    3200$ !?!?!?

dude... ebay!!

or get a friend to mail you the parts in a suitcase marked "big birthday present!"
    ('06 heckler's a better bet for that, easier to remove the swingarm and fit it in a smaller box!!)

I don't know what the import tax is, but that's about twice what I'd expect a used bike of that quality to go for.
    Could build a nicer one for less I'm sure... let's be honest here, do you need the entire bike? or do you have the parts/facilities to build it from the frame up?

check pinkbike, there were some guys in Mexico who had SC's... not sure if they're still for sale, but must be cheaper shipping than from the US?

need more international channels for this kind of thing.

i have to say, 3200$ sounds like one person packing the bike as their luggage on a plane, and paying for their plane ticket down here at the same time... that's not right.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts
    3200$ !?!?!?

dude... ebay!!

or get a friend to mail you the parts in a suitcase marked "big birthday present!"
    ('06 heckler's a better bet for that, easier to remove the swingarm and fit it in a smaller box!!)

I don't know what the import tax is, but that's about twice what I'd expect a used bike of that quality to go for.
    Could build a nicer one for less I'm sure... let's be honest here, do you need the entire bike? or do you have the parts/facilities to build it from the frame up?

check pinkbike, there were some guys in Mexico who had SC's... not sure if they're still for sale, but must be cheaper shipping than from the US?

need more international channels for this kind of thing.

i have to say, 3200$ sounds like one person packing the bike as their luggage on a plane, and paying for their plane ticket down here at the same time... that's not right.
    Youre right about that byknuts, for 3200 I should get a plane ticket and a better bike, just need to get my us tourist visa now...

Ive heard of a big sale promotion on bikes on 4th of July, do you guys know something about that?

I have a spare of Juicy 3 and triggers X7, thats not much for considering build a bike from parts. I think a build kit is cheaper and worth a lot for me. Im not going to take any parts from my hardtail as I still like it too much!

The problem with mailing a bike to Brasil is that the mail tax men here are mad. Sometimes you can get a small tax, like 10%, other times 200%. No logic at all.

Are these travel bags safe to bring a Heckler intact? I saw the Serfas bike armor and seems to be very strong, although a little bit expensive.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    we've got hecklers in Canada too :P
    (might just be an easier visa)

I was just saying I figure that's maybe what they were doing, they figured out the cost of getting a friend flown down and he'd bring your bike in his luggage, but you're paying for his flight...
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    yep, I understood what you mean. I thought about Canada too! Do you know good SC bike shops in Toronto? I have a friend over there that might accept my indecent proposition

I Like Bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by tiagom
    yep, I understood what you mean. I thought about Canada too! Do you know good SC bike shops in Toronto? I have a friend over there that might accept my indecent proposition
    I go to Cycle Solutions on Main & Kingston. They're arguable the best 'serious' bike shop in the city. They carry Santa Cruz along with Foes, Yeti, Intense, Commencal to name a few.

If I remember corrrectly, the list price for a powerdercoat Heckler frame with Float R is $1,450 CAD.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    that is really expensive for a heckler! what are the average prices on the other bikes (fuel, etc...)? if they are cheaper, i'd consider the other options before the heckler. a 3200 dollar heckler would be a VERY well spec'd heckler! however, if you can find a good deal on ebay and someone who is willing to ship international, that would be best! picked up my heckler (08) on ebay for a little over the third of that price (D AM kit too!)

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yep at that price I would really consider a Trek Fuel EX7 or EX8.

I Like Bicycles
    I've just started to get parts for my Heckler. I anticipate it'll end up at around $4,000 CDN when it's done. Yeah, it's a friggin' lot of dough for a single-pivot, but I'm sold on it's simplicity.

My Chameleon hit me for ~$3,200, and I've not regretted a single penny spent on it.
    #1 Norco Aurum LE
    #2 Yeti SB-66
    #3 Evil Sovereign

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSquirrel
    Yep at that price I would really consider a Trek Fuel EX7 or EX8.
    I think these are great bikes, but I heard many stories about a weak rear triangle... I want sturdy bikes

I saw these two Stumpjumpers FSR Comp and Elite for a great price 2600 and 3100:

1)
    FRAME: S-Works Stumpjumper FSR FACT 10m carbon main triangle, Az1 construction, M5 alloy chainstays with Brain mount, FACT 10m carbon seatstays with carbon drive side dropout, DMD Direct Mount F.Der, full cartridge bearing pivots, 120mm travel
    REAR SHOCK: Specialized AFR Brain Shock w/ remote Trail Tune inertia valve, rebound adj. and Brain Fade, 7.25x1.75"
    FORK: Specialized Future Shock S120, 120mm travel, single sided air spring and damper, Trail Tune, Brain Fade, rebound adj., carbon 1-1/8" to 1.5" steerer
    HEADSET: 1-1/8" to 1.5" Threadless, Campy style, cartridge bearing
    STEM: Syntace F119 OS stem, 31.8, 6 degree rise, 15.5: 75mm, 17: 90mm, 18: 100mm, 19: 110mm, 21: 120mm
    HANDLEBARS: Specialized OS XC low rise carbon bar, 640mm wide, 6 degree up, 8 degree backsweep
    TAPE/GRIPS: Specialized thin lock on grip (S/M) Specialized Thick lock on grip (L/XL)
    FRONT BRAKE: Custom Avid Ultimate SL Mag, alloy backed organic pads, magnesium caliper and lever body w/ carbon blade, ti hardware package, S/M: 185mm, L/XL: 203mm rotor
    REAR BRAKE: Custom Avid Ultimate SL Mag, alloy backed organic pads, magnesium caliper and lever body w/ carbon blade, Ti hardware package, S/M: 160mm, L/XL:185mm rotor
    BRAKE LEVERS: Custom Avid Ultimate SL Mag Hydraulic
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano M971 XTR, DMD, top swing, dual pull
    REAR DERAILLEUR: SRAM X-0, 9-speed, mid cage
    SHIFT LEVERS: SRAM X-0, carbon/aluminum 9-speed trigger
    CASSETTE FREEWHEEL: Shimano M970 XTR Ti, 9-speed, 11-34t
    CHAIN: Shimano XTR, 9-speed
    CRANKSET: Shimano FC-M970 XTR, S: 170mm, others: 175mm
    CHAINRINGS: 22S x 32A x 44A, 4-bolt, 104/64mm
    BOTTOM BRACKET: Shimano M-970 XTR
    PEDALS: None
    RIMS: Roval Controle SL, disc, 24mm
    FRONT HUB: Roval Controle SL XC Carbon, OS, 28mm axle caps, straight pull
    REAR HUB: Roval Controle SL XC, OS, stragiht pull
    SPOKES: DT Swiss Aerolite 2.0/1.6mm, black, alloy nipples
    FRONT TIRE: S-Works The Captain, 26x2.2", 120 TPI, Aramid bead, dual compound, tubeless ready
    REAR TIRE: S-Works The Captain, 26x2.0", 120 TPI, Aramid bead, dual compound, tubeless ready
    TUBES: Specialized Ultralight 26x2.0", presta
    SADDLE: Specialized Phenom SL, Ti rails, thin foam, S/M: 130mm, L/XL: 143mm
    SEAT POST:S-Works Carbon 30.9mm, single-bolt head, S: 300mm M: 350mm, L/XL: 400mm
    SEAT BINDER: 7050 hard annodized alloy collar w/ QR, 36.9mm clamp ID, for carbon frame black

2)
    FRAME: Stumpjumper FSR M5 Manipulated Alloy frame w/ ORE TT/DT, sealed cartridge bearing pivots, DMD Direct Mount F. Der, replaceable derailleur hanger, disc only, 120mm travel
    REAR SHOCK: Fox Triad, custom on-the-fly 3-position switch 1) lock out 2) Open 3) ProPedal pedal assisting damping, rebound adj., 7.25x1.75"
    FORK: Fox Talas RL w/ Talas 3, 140/120/100mm, alloy stanchions, disk only, compression and rebound adj. w/ LO, magnesium lowers, 32mm stancions
    HEADSET: 1-1/8" Threadless, 10mm insertion alloy cups, sealed cartridge bearing
    STEM: Specialized adjustable rise, 31.8mm clamp, 3D forged w/ CNC finish
    HANDLEBARS: Specialized XC low rise 31.8mm bar, 2014 butted alloy, 6 degree up, 8 degree backsweep, 640mm wide
    TAPE/GRIPS: Specialized thin lock on grip (S/M) Specialized Thick lock on grip (L/XL/XXL)
    FRONT BRAKE: Custom Avid Elixir R SL, alloy backed organic pads, M: 185mm, L/XL/XXL: 203mm rotor
    REAR BRAKE: Custom Avid Elixir R SL, alloy backed organic pads, S/M: 160mm, L/XL/XXL: 185mm rotor
    BRAKE LEVERS: Custom Avid Elixir R SL Hydraulic, tool-less adj. reach
    FRONT DERAILLEUR: Shimano M660 SLX, DMD, top swing, dual pull
    REAR DERAILLEUR: Shimano RD-M972 Top-normal XTR, Shadow, long-carbon cage
    SHIFT LEVERS: Shimano SL-M660 SLX, trigger, 9-speed
    CASSETTE FREEWHEEL: Shimano HG61, 9-speed, 11-34t
    CHAIN: SRAM PC-971, 9-speed w/Power Link
    CRANKSET: Custom Shimano FC-M542, S: 170mm, others: 175mm
    CHAINRINGS: 22S x 32A x 44A, 4-bolt, 104/64mm
    BOTTOM BRACKET: Custom Shimano FC-M542
    PEDALS: Shimano M520, clipless
    RIMS: Custom DT Swiss X420SL, 24mm w/ eyelets, 28/32h
    FRONT HUB: Specialized Hi Lo disc, CNC flange, sealed cartridge bearing, 9mm DT RWS, alloy QR, 28h
    REAR HUB: Custom Shimano M525 SL, alloy QR, 32h
    SPOKES: DT Swiss 1.8mm stainless, black, alloy nipples
    FRONT TIRE: S-Works The Captain, 26x2.2", 120 TPI, Aramid bead, dual compound, tubeless ready
    REAR TIRE: S-Works The Captain, 26x2.0", 120 TPI, Aramid bead, dual compound, tubeless ready
    TUBES: Specialized Ultralight 26x2.0", presta
    SADDLE: Specialized Format, hollow Cr-Mo rails, SL foam, S/M: 130mm L/XL/XXL:143mm
    SEAT POST: 2014 butted alloy, single-bolt setback, 30.9x350/400mm
    SEAT BINDER: 7050 hard annodized alloy collar w/ QR, 34.9mm clamp ID, black

How do you guys compare with this Heckler 3300?

RAM kit Float R and Revelation

REAR DER. Shimano M772 SGS (XT)
    FRONT DER. Shimano M660 (SLX) or M771 (XT)
    SHIFTERS Shimano M660 (SLX)
    CRANKSET TruVativ Stylo 3.3 22/32/44
    BOTTOM BRACKET Included w/ crankset
    CASSETTE Shimano HG 61, 11-34 (Deore)
    CHAIN Shimano HG 73 (XT)
    BRAKES Avid Elixir 5's w/ 185mm front 160mm rear rotors
    BRAKE LEVERS Avid Elixer 5's
    BARS TruVativ Stylo Team 31.8mm
    STEM TruVativ Stylo Race, 31.8mm
    GRIPS Lizard Skin Charger
    HEADSET Cane Creek S3 1 1/8", Cane Creek Tapered or upgrade to a Chris King 1 1/8" +$91 or Chris King Tapered +$109
    SEAT POST Easton EA50
    SADDLE WTB Pure V Race
    WHEELS Mavic XM 321 rims laced to Shimano M756 rear hub and WTB 20mm Super Duty front hub or Shimano 15mm M758 front hub w/ DT 14 guage spokes, brass nipples
    TIRES Kenda Nevegal 2.35 wire
    TUBES Kenda Freeride

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Guys, help me with this :

http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php?t=73818

This sale is not real , right? Really spam?