mtbr member

Final stage of Bronson C build, HELP needed please on Headset and Wheelset

My BronsonC build kit is almost complete, all I need to order is the wheels and headset.
    I'm told Cane Creek 40 is a good option with my Fox CTD fork, but which one? There are plenty. Any better suggestions?

Wheels: I've limited my choice to the new Mavic SX enduros for $1K, or Stans Arch ex with DT Swiss 240 hubs for $860.
    My riding is usually trail / enduro, no knarly downhill.
    Bling question: wondering how the yellow Mavic enduros would go with the tennis ball yellow frame??

Advice appreciated

mtbr member
    For 1k you could build a nice Derby carbon wheelset. I did just that and it is a game changer!

mtbr member
    Thanks socalMX, Where did you score the wheels?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I ordered King headset and I9 Enduro wheels. Still waiting on the frame though. To your bling question, i'm thinking the yellow Mavic enduros and the tennis yellow frame are completely different bright yellows and would look pretty nasty together

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
    I'm told Cane Creek 40 is a good option with my Fox CTD fork, but which one? There are plenty. Any better suggestions?
    Advice appreciated
    Cane Creek 40 comes stock on some Bronson builds. Apparently Cane Creek 110 is also a good option. I have seen a lot of Bronson's posted with Chris King headsets so they seem to be quite popular. The Cane Creek 40 and 110 have a lower stack height though which will make the HA the same or similar to the HA spec'd on the Bronson builds on the SC website (depends if that matters to you at all).

For the exact headset type/size see Santa Cruz Bicycles Bronson Carbon > Tech > FAQ > What kind of headset does this bike use?

"We use a headset generally referred to as "mixed tapered". This is a 44mm internal upper cup, with an external 49mm lower cup. The SHIS name is ZS44/28.6 EC49/40."

mtbr member
    Thanks socalMX, Where did you score the wheels?
    Heres a good read on them, the link will be in the thread! 650b x 40mm carbon fiber DERBY RIMS Grand Opening

mtbr member
    Yeah I'm thinking that but I can't tell Mavic to change it...(unfortunately)

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶[$̲̅(̲̅ιοο̲̅)$]
    Quote Originally Posted by socalMX View Post
    Heres a good read on them, the link will be in the thread! 650b x 40mm carbon fiber DERBY RIMS Grand Opening
    +1 on the Derby's! Best setup I've ever ridden. I spent more than $1K since I went with Chris King hubs on my build but definitely no regrets.
    ٩(●̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃̃)۶ ٩(̯)۶

mtbr member
    Hey Brigadooon where did you order your industry 9 wheels?
    They read well did they arrive ok?

mtbr member
    As I'm getting the tennis ball yellow bronson, the yellow mavic enduro's are out, would look hideous. What other best option wheel for all mountain? Mavic enduro's too light for Maxxis High rollers?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hey Brigadooon where did you order your industry 9 wheels?
    They read well did they arrive ok?
    Ordered them through my LBS JB Mountain Bikes JB MOUNTAIN BIKES, Reading, PA - The Dirtiest Bike Shop in Pennsylvania - Cannondale, Giant Bicycles, Ellsworth, Santa Cruz, Juliana, Intense, Lightspeed, Surly, Ibis, Rock Lobster, Vassago, Foes Authorized Dealer. They're sitting in the shop, I've not seen them yet but they showed up fast, within a few days of ordering them. I didn't go with any custom colors and apparently I9 had plenty of all black enduro 650b in stock.

Warrior's Society
    Cane Creek 110 is now my go to for a nice HS. Just as nice as a King, but easier to find on sale.

Plus they do have 4 color options as well....black, blue, red, silver.

And if you get totally lost and confused, the CC website has a HS/Frame finder guide.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    I like the low stack height of the CC40 (I like to keep my BB height as low as possible) but I blew thru a set of bearings in two seasons whereas I could get 4-5 seasons out of a CK headset (you really have to watch it in wet weather with CC40's). Then again, for the price diff, you can buy a boatload of bearings! Is the lower stack height of the 110 the same as the 40? That might be the way to go if so and if you're not on a budget.

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    +1 on the Derby rims and build a wheelset.
    big increase in tire volume with that wide rim