mtbr member
    Sep 2004

DHX A on Nomad: heavier oil and mid-stroke tuning

After two months riding my nomad, I'm coming close to a satisfying setting of my rear damper. I'd like to suggest an interesting tip to Nomad owners and to those that regret the supposed lack of mid stroke support on the DHX A.

That begins with a bad suprise: oil leaking at the rebound clicker. My local suspension tuner solve the problem easily by replacing a bad little O-ring. But when rebuilding my shock, he put heavier oil in it (10W instead of 7.5W). And it was quite a revelation: you get a strong mid-stroke ( good for manuals, high speed stability), the bike stays more level. with my "stock" setting, I loose some comfort, but a little fine tuning give me just what I need.

I only need to open the rebound by three clicks more to regain small bump sensitivity, to lessen a little the BV pressure while screwing in the Bottom out adjuster:

I'm 135/140 ibs with gear and that gives ( I leave propedal settings to your preference since I use to change this setting while riding):

Stock settings with 7,5 w oil:
    - 165 psi main chamber
    - 110 psi BV, BA full open

New settings with 10 w oil:
    - 160 psi main chamber
    - 95/100 psi BV, BA in the mid position

What you get is a stronger mid stroke, the same small bump sensitivity, a nice end stroke control. What's great with the oil change is that you can play with DHX adjustments to duplicate the stock feeling with mid-stroke "wallowing" by decreasing BV pressure...or keeping the stock BV settings to obtain stronger mid-stroke...or playing between the two ones to achieve "perfect" feeling.

In a word: putting heavier oil gives you even more tuning options. With the stock lighter oil, the BV and BA adjustements, increasing pressure or decreasing reservoir volume is not very satisfying if you want a more supported mid stroke. While getting stronger mid-stroke, You often obtain, IMO, too much progressivity at the end of the stroke. All is a matter of feeling, but I guess that using heavier oil gives an interesting option.
    Last edited by vinny; 03-06-2006 at 09:33 AM.