mtbr member
    May 2007

The Family that (Santa) Cruz's Together....

I've been on mtbr for some time now, and received a great deal of enjoyment, help and support from many of you who have taken the time to share what you know. Thanks. In addition to answers to my questions, you have no idea how much I have learned from searching the old threads!

The other day I realized I hadn't introduced myself in the Clydes thread, nor in here. I made my big guy post the other day, and today I am crossing another one off my list by posting here.

I love SC bikes. All bikes really, but I'm pretty particular to my SC. Which happens to be an '05 Heckler.

Initially I was poised last fall to jump on a gorgeous white Nomad, but my washer AND dryer hit the skids and out the door went my bike money. But my whites are whiter. I saved for another couple of months, and in the early spring I was dealing on a Nomad frame....but I jumped instead when presented with a great deal on an XL Heckelr frame.

I was literally captivated the first time I held it after taking it out of the box. I'd never held such a beast before. It inspired confidence with nothing but a headset, a seatpost and a front derailleur on it. I kept that frame siting in my office at work until the snow was gone, and then I took it hom and built it up. It was my first build, and it went pretty well thanks to some excellent help from mtbr and my LBS. I have been riding in pure bliss ever since.

To be honest, when people would claim the ride was exceptional, or brag how great the bike was, in various forums I always took it with a grain of salt. But now I are one too! What a bike.

My wife heard so many times what an improvement this ride was over my old bike, that she started to drop some pretty big hints that she might like to upgrade as well. Hints like "Hey, why don't you find me a bike like that". I'm not too fast normally, but I read between the lines and about a month ago jumped on this used Juliana that popped up almost magically!

Anyone want to bet what she thinks of her new ride? She be amazed as well. And we are easy to tell on the trails. We are the two grinning, ripping, trying things we've never tried before and laughing about how AMAZING these bikes are. In fact, without upgrading to this bike I would not have learned that in the event of a slow, yet sudden (is that possible) OTB I can still get my legs high enough to throw them over the bars and walk away from it. HAH!

Check the bottom of the thread for the pictures of our new (to us) rides!

And my son? Stuck on his Kona Howler? He's feeling left out like you would not believe....if anyone has a SMALL Heckler they are looking to sell, drop me a line, I'd love to get him on the team too.....

Anyway, if you are still reading, thanks for sticking it out. From the Family that (Santa) Cruz's together....hi!

Cheers

eman
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    i assume you're pretty tall, given that you ride an XL and that your stem is hella long.....if you can afford to go any shorter on the stem, i really would, b/c a short stem will make that bike handle even better than it already does..i'm 5'11" and i ride a large with a 90mm stem...i like to be stretched out too on a bike, but once i swapped stems, it was night and day difference....and i only went from a 110 to a 90...looks like you got a 120 or 130 on there.....just a thought.....great to hear you're happy with your rides!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah.....6'6" and 36.5" inseam.....

BUT

In the interests of trying to do just that I put the Thomson set back on. My plan is to try a shorter stem and see what happens....but first I need to play with the seat a bit and get used to that. I have some chronic bad knees.....3 ACL operations ended my contact sports career....and while biking I've never had any knee pain before. With the set back on, I ended up sore in front, just below my knee, with the seat at the back of the rails. I'm just moving it and playing with it....I'll see what the end result is and then focus on the stem....

Thanks for the advice! Awesome!

Cheers

eman

mtbr member
    I hear ya on the knee front Mister, I did my ACL, MCL, AND meniscus on my right knee. Ended my Downhill career, (well not so much of a career, but it ended the gravity fun.)

On the topic of a small Heckler Frame, a shop here in New Jersey has a small 05 Trans Red Heckler that im sure he would like to part with at a reduced price. Hes been sitting on it for a while, and with the new heckler out its not likely to go anywhere soon.

planetbikenj.com