gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

eyeballing a new frame - superlight questions

I am currently on a medium 2006 trance and am looking for a lighter frame all round bike to replace it with. Never had a single pivot bike and was wondering how active/non-active the suspension is when pedaling fast over roots. Also curious if anyone was using theirs in longer (3-4 hour races). Thanks.
    Last edited by gmx; 09-01-2008 at 04:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Are you talking about the superlight?

Ricardo

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The superlight works great for everything, for long races too, i love my 08 SL!!! get one

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Take a look at some of the info about the single pivot design on square edges. I have had some issues when hitting square edges at speed. The rear wheel will suddenly stop. It doesn't suck up over the bump like you think it should, instead it grabs and jolts you pretty good.

Not a huge issue or a reason not to get an SL, but something to look into. From what I hear, this is a characteristic of the single pivot design.

Other than this, it's great!

MtbrMorvs
    Sep 2008
    I've used a SC Superlight in Five 24 Hr races here at Laguna Seca and it works great for the long haul. I've ridden it in every terrain including what you can find in Santa Cruz, Downieville, and Tahoe during all seasons, yes winter too. Never had an issue with the wheel suddenly stopping, as the previous cat mentioned, but i imagine if you're hitting "square" edges it can't be good. Regardless you can't beat the low maintenance of a single pivot and I've done my best at trying to demolish myself and the bike with minimal success at the latter. I highly recommend both venturing to a single pivot and a Santa Cruz Superlight to bat. Have fun!

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Thanks for the great info. I have narrowed my frame choices down and pretty much decided on the superlight. I am now researching the best size (med vs lrge) as I am buying online.

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Got it. Slate gray ano frame. Won't be building it for a while but will post up when finished.

mtbr member
    congrats. i love my SL but I will second the "Square edges" comment. not a huge deal for me as the bike can take pretty much anything I can throw at it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007

Congrats!!!

Post pics when you finish the build!!!
    I have that color, what size did you decide on??

gmx
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kokoAzuela
    Post pics when you finish the build!!!
    I have that color, what size did you decide on??
    I went w/ medium. I'll hopefully post pictures over the next few months.