Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Enve Upgrade?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Enve Upgrade?

Slightly off topic, but I'm posting here instead of the wheel forum because I'm going to be getting a 5010 and can't decide if I should pop for the Enve wheel upgrade.

I've seen on the Solo Picture Thread that many of the bikes are sporting the Enve wheels. I haven't seen any discussion of why the owners went for those wheels. I emailed SC and was told "The only changes to the wheel spec with the Enve upgrades are the Rims. Hub and spoke spec remains the same. Weight difference is 0.39 lbs." That's a pretty big difference in weight, but one that could be achieved with aluminum rims, without the big cost difference.

So, why go with the Enve upgrade, how do the carbon rims ride differently than the WTB rims and how noticeable is it?

boomer
    I've ridden both Enve's and carbon Havens on dual suspension bikes and I think the stiffness makes a huge difference; my take is that since the wheels are stiffer it drives the suspension more efficiently thus making for a more balanced and better ride. Instead of the wheels taking the energy of the hit the fork and shock take almost 100%. I've never heard or read anyone else mention that aspect but it makes sense to me. I also think there's a noticeable difference when putting down the power; again little to no energy lost to flex.

My $0.02 applied.
    Calvin

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Not sure about 27.5 wheels but I got t a TBLT with the WTB rims and they were noodly and I had to true them often. I decided to go with the Enves as an upgrade and they have been worth it. Way stiffer and after 6 months of hard riding they are still true. If you have the cash go for it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I bought a Carbon Bronson w xt build. I changed the fork to a Pike and installed a set of Enves w I9. Worth every penny. I will never ride aluminum hoops again. Huge difference. Stiffness of Pike helped considerably as well.

Slower But Faster
    Quote Originally Posted by okie_calvin View Post
    I've ridden both Enve's and carbon Havens on dual suspension bikes and I think the stiffness makes a huge difference; my take is that since the wheels are stiffer it drives the suspension more efficiently thus making for a more balanced and better ride. Instead of the wheels taking the energy of the hit the fork and shock take almost 100%. I've never heard or read anyone else mention that aspect but it makes sense to me. I also think there's a noticeable difference when putting down the power; again little to no energy lost to flex.

My $0.02 applied.
    I'd buy that as a plausible theory. You want the spring to happen in the shock/fork where the damping is controlled rather than simply springing back undamped as it would when the wheel flexes. Having said that, I'm really happy with the performance of the WTB Frequency Team i23 in 26" on my Nomad C.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I agree with everything said about the Enves on this thread. OP: You can get a light pair of aluminum wheels, but they will flex a lot. I have had Enves for 6 months now, and love them. They are just bombproof and worth every penny. I am actually selling my current bike so I can get a Tallboy LTc, but am keeping my Enves to put on it. If you can afford the Enves you will not regret it.

mtbr member
    Riding Carbon Rovals on my TBc.

It's more about stiffness than weight, though the strength to weight ratio is generally impressive with most carbon rims.

I don't think I'll ever ride aluminum rims again.

That being said, the stock WTB/DT-Swiss wheels are pretty solid.
    2014 Tallboy 2

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks to all for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronsondude View Post
    I bought a Carbon Bronson w xt build...
    Since you went with the XT build and enve wheels, does that mean you think the difference in carbon vs aluminum wheels is bigger than XTR vs XT component build?

Creepy tooth fairy
    I am in accord with all of the commentary here regarding Enve wheels as well. I poo-poo'ed them forever thinking they were solely the bastion of weight weenies (wrong), trustifarians (maybe) and/or other fancy pants types looking to show off (maybe) and of course team riders that get deals on them. Ironically the standard WTB wheels SC spec's are actually slightly lighter weight than the Enves. I rode an Enve-equipped Bronson at a recent demo and the wheels were one of the highlights. They are crazy stiff, track better than anything I have ever rode and accelerate like a rocket. Are they worth $2500 for that? Maybe. Next year I may build a set with my Hadley hubs if I have some spare dough. If I had the opportunity to score a set I would and will jump on them.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I've got a brand new set of 29er Enve's for sale if anyone is interested >> MTBR Classifieds

mtbr member
    I'm thinking of getting some of the Light Bicycle carbon rims for ~$400/pair shipped. Will build them up with some existing Hope hubs I have for a low cost carbon wheelset and see what I think. I'll never have the $$ for ENVE.

PSA: LB 650b X-Wide rim
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Definitely worth it. In my opinion, bigger and more positive difference than going with a carbon frame.
    Carbon frame + carbon wheels > al frame + carbon wheels > carbon frame + al wheels > al frame + al wheels.

Now, if one is to upgrade in the future, it makes sense to het a carbon frame first and change the wheels later.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Re: Enve Upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I'll never have the $$ for ENVE.

PSA: LB 650b X-Wide rim
    Never say never.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Never say never.
    Put it another way. I'll never spend ENVE prices for carbon wheels.

Paying double what an AL rim costs to get a carbon rim OTOH is well within the realm of possibility.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    I've been on ENVE AM's for a season now, I've beaten the snot out of them and I have come away fully impressed. I put them in a stand for the first time a couple of weeks ago and aside from a couple very small wobbles (so small they're not even worth fixing on a MTB bike), they're still going strong. The stiffness and durability are definitely worth price of admission.

Creepy tooth fairy

Derbys might be the sleeper...

...they are 40g heavier than Enve's, but 10mm wider inside and out and just slightly more than the third of the cost. I would love to get the Enves because they look and ride killer, but The Derby rims have gotten a lot of high praise and are far more reasonable.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

mtbr member
    The Derby rims look nice and they seem to be holding up well to some hard use.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thinking of getting the enve"s for my enduro. Got my dealer down to $2,200. Is that a good price should I do it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    How do the specialized Carbon roval control and rival control SL wheels compare to enve xc?
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    depends on what hubs you'll get with them...
    Stumpy FSR Comp 29er
    SC Bronson C

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jgutz71 View Post
    depends on what hubs you'll get with them...
    Tell me more please - I see Chris kind amd dt240?s any others? Is one better or worse ?
    Epic Flash Boris F65X + road bikes

mtbr member
    I'm waiting for the Enves to come in, getting some i9s with them...
    Stumpy FSR Comp 29er
    SC Bronson C

mtbr member
    If you have the disposable income, go Enve. If not, for the price of ONE Enve rim, you can get a set of Hadleys, lace them to a set of LB or Nextie, and shoe those wheels tubeless w/ Bonty Rhythm strips and valves and come out juuuuust about the same weight as a set of Enve rim upgrade. You choice, but carbon hoops are a very worthy upgrade!
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Like others have said, the weight savings is only part of the equation. The improved stiffness and strength are also big benefits. The precise feel you get from stiff rims like these must be experienced - among other things, you instantly have a better connection to the ground, including a better feel for when your tires are breaking loose. Also, they are stronger and less likely to dent, which is a big benefit if you run tubeless.

The weight savings is nice, but I'd still want enve rims if they weighed the same as aluminum rims.

mtbr member
    I currently have the Specialized Roval Control Carbon 29er wheels on my Tallboy LTc. The wheels have been perfect. Have handled everything I've thrown at them. Banged up a spoke on a rock impact from the side and with the spoke gnarled, the wheels were still perfectly true. Having never ridden Enves I can't compare but I'm beyond impressed with the Rovals. Great (relative) price too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast