mtbr member

Enve M70 w/ Nomad 2015 - Tire issues

Hey all,

I will post this in the wheel thread as well but wanted to speak to the Nomad 650B community.

I'm finding that I'm getting very limited life out of my tire choices which are primarily the Maxxis DHR/DHF and High Rollers along with the occasional Hans Danf. All tires would be folding bead spec with 3C or sticky rubber, set up as tubeless . I'm mounting these to the Enve M70's and have unfortunately been slashing them every 3-9 rides . The slash isn't on the sidewall but is just off of center in the tires tread, basically right down the middle.
    I'm running 28-30 psi.

Am at the point where I'm beginning to fault the M70's being that I ran the same tire set up's on Enve AM's on my Bronson and the same with the stock aluminum wheels offered on the 650 Nomad with no issues.

Anyone else experiencing this , any suggestions?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Enve M70 w/ Nomad 2015 - Tire issues-nomad-650-med-pic.jpg  

Warrior's Society
    Too much pressure?

30 psi is awfully high, unless you weigh 250 lbs.

Is the new Enve 70 rim stiffer than the AM rim you had before?

Super stuff rim and a tire at a high psi....something is gonna have to give.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Are you riding the Nomad differently... As in, picking rougher lines? I find it odd to imagine that a rim choice will cause more cuts on the center of a tire's tread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I would guess that you are riding with a #NFG style on the Nomad and slaying whatever is in your sight. In return, you are slaying your tires. Try tires with thicker casings.

mtbr member
    The Enve 70 Rims are supposed to be stiffer and lighter than the previous AM models, but I cant bring myself to lower the pressure as I feel it will allow for more rim contact causing damage and would most likely roll slower.

I do run the bike hard into narly terrain, but I also did the same with the Bronson and AM Enve combo...granted I am carrying more speed with the Nomad vs Bronson.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Looking at a cross-section of the rim, it looks like to surface area of the edge is smaller than non-M models. Even if that were the reason (which I doubt), the cuts probably wouldn't be near the center. Admittedly, I have no experience with them- just going off a pic I saw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

Bodhisattva
    Not exactly apples to apples, but I had AM rims on a TB LTc which were replaced w m60s on warranty because of a sidewall delamination.

I've yet to have a sidewall tear with either set in over a year of use on the AM and 8 weeks on the m60

Hard for me to understand how the rim could be contributing to sidewall tears though
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    I'm getting slashes in the tread, not side walls.....not sure the rim is to blame...perhaps I'm running too much psi, perhaps I just need to go to a DH casing (blah) which isn't what I'd like to do.

I called the good folks at Enve, they want a pic of the tire and a will get back to me with some suggestions...pretty solid service so far.

By no means am I complaining about Enve quality...just trying to minimize the tire slashings.
    I guess I could always buy shares in Maxxis if I cant mitigate this issue as I will personally drive sales up at this rate.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
    I'm getting slashes in the tread, not side walls.....not sure the rim is to blame...perhaps I'm running too much psi, perhaps I just need to go to a DH casing (blah) which isn't what I'd like to do.

I called the good folks at Enve, they want a pic of the tire and a will get back to me with some suggestions...pretty solid service so far.

By no means am I complaining about Enve quality...just trying to minimize the tire slashings.
    I guess I could always buy shares in Maxxis if I cant mitigate this issue as I will personally drive sales up at this rate.
    Got it. my reading comp is subpar.

No, I haven't experienced those either and still don't quite understand how rim could influence that, but since I have Enve rims I'll be interested in Enve's reply.

My only gripe with Enve is that my AM delaminated after 9 months, and the rear m60 gave way after 6 weeks. Both times Enve covered it under warranty, but downtime and hassle are a huge bummer and I'm not sure I'd go this route again in the future. I have a Nomad on order and have elected for the alloy WTB rim for now.
    Life....the original terminal illness

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
    Yeah, a pic of the rip/tear might help. I can't imagine where the center of the tread could make contact with any part of the rim. I picture might help with other explanations.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Had a decent ride today ... Ran 25 psi ( down from 30 ) and my gut feeling tells me that 25 is the solution

Will update if I Pouch another tire. For now , one ride down , many more to go... Hopefully the tire survives and this thread goes the way of the dodo

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Interesting
    I've ripped the knobs off two maxixis HR2's and one specialized purgatory grid in the last month, running specialized fattie carbon wheels on my nomad. Think their inside diameter is similar to the m series enves
    Also running around 30 psi

mtbr member
    Bradical where do you ride?

mtbr member
    Vancouver , Canada.... North Shore , Squamish, Fraser Valley

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Starting to run lower tire pressures was one of the best choices I've made since starting mountain biking. When I first got my Bronson, I ran between 30 and 35 psi because that's what the LBS recommended. I'm around 175 lbs in riding gear.

I ran my tires that way for several months without thinking anything of it. One day, I was out riding and was just crushing it. Everything felt great. I was flying up hills, railing corners etc everything just felt dialed. For some reason, I decided to check my tire pressures after that ride. They were at 20 psi front and rear. Opps. I guess I hadn't checked them in a while.

After that, I started running my tire pressures around 22 psi front and rear. In my opinion, they just work better that way.