mtbr member

EDIT : HOW IN THE HELL DID THIS GET TO BE POST #1? Your making the forums nuts too.

PS I'll look at my Heckler when I get it in a week or so.
    Last edited by Sway?; 03-04-2006 at 04:05 PM.

Got A Lust for Life...

New question here. Either I am nuts...

Or my Heckler looks twisted. I noticed last summer that the rear wheel was not sitting straight in the rear triangle(yes I turned the wheel around). It was sitting further to the right than the left. It looked like the frame was twisted in some way. Anyway, I sent it back last summer and after a month(fast turnaround just a mixup in shipping) I got it back with a replaced rear triangle. It looked the same as before but I didn't give a damn bc I went so long without and rode it the rest of the summer and fall until I hopped on the SS. I had in the stand this week and really started to look at it. It is way off. You can actually see how the wheel is canted to the right. Now, I am planning on getting this worked out but I was wondering if any other heckler owners have had a similar problem. I guess what I am asking is for a few of you heckler owners to take a look at the alignment of your rear wheel and get back to me. I am curious as to whether this is a natural aspect of the frame. I will post pics asap. The wheel is 5mm closer to the right chainstay than the left. Some imput would be great. Thanks

Got A Lust for Life...
    Thanks that helps sooooooooo much! Fu..er!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Ok

Mine looks fine. Make sure that the swingarm is centered in the bearings.

What are you looking at?
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25
    Or my Heckler looks twisted. I noticed last summer that the rear wheel was not sitting straight in the rear triangle(yes I turned the wheel around). It was sitting further to the right than the left. It looked like the frame was twisted in some way. Anyway, I sent it back last summer and after a month(fast turnaround just a mixup in shipping) I got it back with a replaced rear triangle. It looked the same as before but I didn't give a damn bc I went so long without and rode it the rest of the summer and fall until I hopped on the SS. I had in the stand this week and really started to look at it. It is way off. You can actually see how the wheel is canted to the right. Now, I am planning on getting this worked out but I was wondering if any other heckler owners have had a similar problem. I guess what I am asking is for a few of you heckler owners to take a look at the alignment of your rear wheel and get back to me. I am curious as to whether this is a natural aspect of the frame. I will post pics asap. The wheel is 5mm closer to the right chainstay than the left. Some imput would be great. Thanks
    Do you have a lizzard skin or a swing arm protectant of some sort? cuz that can make things look a little off centre.
    Orange Heckler

Blue Pinscher

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Wheel dish?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    ^^^^ that what I was thinking too. If you don't a dishing tool you can install your rear wheel with the cog on the left side and check if the rim is off center to the left instead of to the right. if it is than it's a wheel problem and if it's still off center to the right than it's a frame problem.
    hope this helps

Got A Lust for Life...

If it were wheel dish...

Quote Originally Posted by Ride On
    Wheel dish?
    The same effect would be seen on the other side when I turned the wheel around. This was not the case. I do not have a lizard skin either. The reason I wanted someone to check was to back up what I am seeing. I have to get a picture of it to illustrate. I measured the distance btw the seat tube and the swing arm on both sides and it too is off. Another sign is that the spring on my 5th is rubbing on one side of the shock body. Just looking at the frame from the rear you can tell it is off. With a wheel on it looks like the wheel is canted a couple degrees to the right front being vertical. The swingarm was replaced but that was obviously not the problem. F'n weird man. I have had other people look at it and they said the same thing.

Groveland Trail Heads

After reading this I

The same effect would be seen on the other side when I turned the wheel around. This was not the case. I do not have a lizard skin either. The reason I wanted someone to check was to back up what I am seeing. I have to get a picture of it to illustrate. I measured the distance btw the seat tube and the swing arm on both sides and it too is off. Another sign is that the spring on my 5th is rubbing on one side of the shock body. Just looking at the frame from the rear you can tell it is off. With a wheel on it looks like the wheel is canted a couple degrees to the right front being vertical. The swingarm was replaced but that was obviously not the problem. F'n weird man. I have had other people look at it and they said the same thing.
    had to check my heckler. The center of my rear tire lines up with my seat tube. The right chain stay does look a tiny bit closer but I think that is how it is designed. As long as the center of the rear tire lines up straight with the seat tube it should be fine.

I'd like to see a picture of your problem. Post some if you are able to.
    My beat box is bumpin' and my rhymes are fresh...
    www.grovelandtrailheads.org

mtbr member
    Got a digital camera? Picture phone? Friend with either? I understand what your saying, but it would help a lot to see it. I should be picking my Heckler up tomorrow from a shop in LA. I'll snap some pics when I get home so you can compare.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I had the same issue with a Santa Cruz Chameleon frame that I'd purchased used. The reat wheel sat at least 5mm closer to the disk brake side. I also turned the wheel around assuming the dish was out.

It was definately the frame. I only owned this frame for a few weeks and it was sold to make way for a Nomad.

Got A Lust for Life...
    Guys,
    I will try to get pics. I keep going back and checking it out to make sure I am not seeing things and being over critical. After having the rear swingarm replaced it seems rather obvious that it must be the main frame. This is funky. Anyway, I will see about pics to illustrate. Thanks for checking on the alignment. It is nice to have a reference point.

Got A Lust for Life...
    I believe I have found the problem. The main pivot is 2-3mm higher on the non drive side. I would imagine that the pivot should be level on the downtube. This is not the case. This would explain why the wheel is canted to the right and why the spring is rubbing on the shock body on the drive side. I never thought to check it before and I am surprised that SC missed it. If someone could check theirs that would be great. My roommate and I were eyeballing it and taking some measurements and this seems to be the culprit. It is unequal everywhere I measure it. It is a good thing I caught it now before summer. I'll try to get some pics of it but I will likely be sending it away tomorrow if possible.