mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Dual Ring Chainguide for Tallboy LTc

I'm thinking about getting a dual ring chainguide for my new Tallboy LTc with older XT 9 speed triple crankset set up with 22-32 rings. The Tallboy LTc FAQ section recommends either the e13 TRS+ dual or the MRP 2X, but the MRP says the smallest big ring their guide works with is 34, whereas the e13 is rated for 32. I really don't want to ditch the 32 ring for a bigger one, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried the e13 TRS+ dual on their Tallboys, and what their experience has been.

WWJR
    Quote Originally Posted by bde1024 View Post
    I'm thinking about getting a dual ring chainguide for my new Tallboy LTc with older XT 9 speed triple crankset set up with 22-32 rings. The Tallboy LTc FAQ section recommends either the e13 TRS+ dual or the MRP 2X, but the MRP says the smallest big ring their guide works with is 34, whereas the e13 is rated for 32. I really don't want to ditch the 32 ring for a bigger one, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried the e13 TRS+ dual on their Tallboys, and what their experience has been.
    the 34 is the one you want. but why not just get the shadow + RD and call it good? no sense in adding weight imho.
    Btw, where are you riding that you need a big ring as small as a 32? Just curious...
    Last edited by IH8MUD; 09-30-2012 at 06:47 AM.
    -Santa Cruz TBLTc
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down... all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I went from running a 32/22 to a 36/24 and don't miss the 32. I still run middle ring 90% of the time apart from some super long steep climbs, where it was better to be in granny any way's. I also went the MRP 2x and it is great so far compared to my old E13 DRS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have been using the e13 trs+ dual chainguide with a Shadow+ rear derailleur for a while now on my LTc and absolutely love it. My bike is almost whisper quiet. The guide works perfectly. I would 100% recommend this set up. It may be overkill to some with both the Shadow+ and chainguide but dropping a chain never enters my mind now. I run a 22-36 setup. Like I said. It works perfectly. Here's a pic:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dual Ring Chainguide for Tallboy LTc-img_6731-copy-copy.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Thanks, guys, sounds like the e13 is in my future. As far as weight, it will let me ditch the bash ring I have on now, so it's just a couple of ounces difference. I'm sticking with 9 speed stuff, so clutch derailleurs are out of the question. And I'm 65, and I can't push big gears like I used to, either on mountain or road bike, so I'm just fine with a 32, thanks. We also don't have a lot of long downhills here in southern New England, so I'm rarely spun out on an 11-32, and when I am, I'm already going as fast as I want to go.

MountainGoat aka OldGoat
    Great answer!
    Vote with your feet.
    No bike is perfect!

WWJR
    Quote Originally Posted by bde1024 View Post
    Thanks, guys, sounds like the e13 is in my future. As far as weight, it will let me ditch the bash ring I have on now, so it's just a couple of ounces difference. I'm sticking with 9 speed stuff, so clutch derailleurs are out of the question. And I'm 65, and I can't push big gears like I used to, either on mountain or road bike, so I'm just fine with a 32, thanks. We also don't have a lot of long downhills here in southern New England, so I'm rarely spun out on an 11-32, and when I am, I'm already going as fast as I want to go.
    makes sense to meeeeee.
    -Santa Cruz TBLTc
    STRAVA: Enabling dorks everywhere to get trails shut down... all for the sake of a race on the internet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You won't be disappointed. Goodluck.