mtbr member

Dual crown fork on a Heckler?

Hey guys, I am seriously considering buying a second hand 06 Boxxer Race which is as cheap as chips, for my Heckler as a spare set of forks when I do DH and for my trip to the Swiss Alps next year. They won't be my regular forks (I have Pikes for that).

I know I have seen pictures of dual crown forks on Hecklers before, is this safe?
    Anybody out there have any experience with this?

never ender
    New heckler or heckler 4?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fat_weasel
    New heckler or heckler 4?
    New Heckler

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    170mm max travel for the Heckler, 160mm is about the best travel if your going to go longer, I run Pikes on my 07 Heckler and changed to a Lyric coil for the Alps that was plenty and a Push'd DHX-5 coil on the rear handled pretty much all of the regular DH in Morzine and Les Gets, maxxed out a few times, some of the DH trails you would really need a V10 they are so extreme , but for all the single track and mountain trails the Heckler was awsome! there are some fantastic trails , I had a guide for a few days and he took me of the mapped trails onto some fantastic technical single track, 8 hours of riding my body was nicely beaten and I had a huge grin.

mtbr member
    Thanks Jeffus

I know the right thing to do would be to go for 160mm and that would be perfect for the majority of the riding that I do, the only problem is that buying the Boxxers would be like 3 times cheaper than getting Lyriks, and I already have the Pikes for my everyday riding, I mailed Santa Cruz about it too so I'll see what they say as well.

BTW what trip did you do? I am thinking about doing the Alpenrock DH from Big Mountain Bike Adventures, lift assisted DH with some bike park fun in Italy too

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    www.morzine-mtb.com, these are the guys I booked with, and I used there guides for a few days, It was all lift assisted in Morzine and LesGets, rode all over the Portes de Soleil , it was great chairlift up ride down next lift ride down, with the guide we did single track that led onto DH courses, connecting by secret trails, well cool, ended up in the Swiss Alps for lunch.
    We stayed in a Lodge , I had my family with me so it was a mix of biking and shopping for the girls :-)
    Had to replace my pivot bearings when I got back 14 months of hard riding and good old wet weather finished them off.
    Maybe you can alter the travel on the Boxxers , have a chat with TFT they will know.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'd also suggest maybe leaving your pride and joy at home and go rag some hire/demo bike for the week. Theres a guy in my neck of the woods riding a previous shape heckler ('06) with 888s on, don't know which travel version, but the frame appears to be holding up, but at the same time the guy's riding doesn't warrant a lyric, let alone a 888. I run a marz Z1 (150mm) on my heckler and its sweet as. Not so sure it'd be up for full on Alps DH tracks though.

mtbr member

Response from Santa Cruz

I posted the same question to Santa Cruz and this is what Tim Field had to say

"Craig,

The max. for the Heckler is 160mm. The Boxxer's 203mm will put too much stress on the headtube gusset."

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I noticed on the specs its change to 160 from 170, the front end is to flip flop with a 170 I tried a 66SL set at 170 eventually I adjusted the travel to 155 and that gave the best set up, I've moved that fork to my Orange Patriot 66 which feels good with them set to 160,
    Shame about the Boxxer, I got my Lyric nearly half price old stock 08 model, don't know how its changed for 09 but it still feels good.
    Maybe a Rockshox Domain they are 160mm heavy but cheap, coil version would be super tough, about 329

mtbr member
    Yeah, I have been thinking about a Domain coil, lots of people have been raving about them, my first choice would still be a Lyrik coil though, I'll keep shopping around!!

Creepy tooth fairy
    I could understand a dual crown like the boxxer for DH, but thats about it. I did the Cloudraker trip last year with Big Mountain and was fine aboard my Heckler (4) in all but the hairiest descents where my 150mm '06 Z1 was over-taxxed. My pals rode with a 66 and Totem on their bikes and had no problems. I suggest going for the Lyrik, Totem, or the Domain and you will be gold. BTW, I cannot praise Big Mountain enough; best mountain bike trip I have ever done and I am going back in 2010. Chris Winter and his crew kick azz.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HELLBELLY
    I could understand a dual crown like the boxxer for DH, but thats about it. I did the Cloudraker trip last year with Big Mountain and was fine aboard my Heckler (4) in all but the hairiest descents where my 150mm '06 Z1 was over-taxxed. My pals rode with a 66 and Totem on their bikes and had no problems. I suggest going for the Lyrik, Totem, or the Domain and you will be gold. BTW, I cannot praise Big Mountain enough; best mountain bike trip I have ever done and I am going back in 2010. Chris Winter and his crew kick azz.
    Oh I can't wait for that trip HellBelly, only heard good things about Big Mountain Bike Adventures, gonna be wicked and worth every cent I'm sure!

So you think 150mm would be alright then?
    There might be a set of 06 Fox 36 Talas which are 150mm (the brown ones) going for a steal at my LBS, just seems such a pity to only upgrade 10mm from my Pikes, do you think the stiffness of the 36's is a huge difference over the Pikes? Hopefully they will let me test em out for a bit!

Creepy tooth fairy
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigiB
    Oh I can't wait for that trip HellBelly, only heard good things about Big Mountain Bike Adventures, gonna be wicked and worth every cent I'm sure!

So you think 150mm would be alright then?
    There might be a set of 06 Fox 36 Talas which are 150mm (the brown ones) going for a steal at my LBS, just seems such a pity to only upgrade 10mm from my Pikes, do you think the stiffness of the 36's is a huge difference over the Pikes? Hopefully they will let me test em out for a bit!
    I think a 150mm would be fine, but like I said I was in desire of more travel and stiffness on some of the burlier descents (gnarl, rock-strewn, steep-azz, switchback killas over 45+ minutes long!). Next time I go I will be on A. my 160 Lyrik (likely) or B. a Totem (maybe). The Totem is making more sense to me now as I am getting used to my Nomad. Remember, you have to do a lot of climbing/traversing with a huge pack (Dakine Apex or bigger) on yr back to get to these gems. Its not bike park stuff, rather way more remote; areas that are not usually traveled by bike. I think the ideal bike for the Cloudraker is at least a 6"+ travel rig on the beefy side of the All Mountain category that weighs in at around 35 lbs give or take. You need powerful/reliable brakes and you'll want your drivetrain dialed more than ever. No matter what you go with though the hardest thing will be trying to wipe the smile of yr face at the end of each day.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

mtbr member
    Just my two cents but I would steer away from teh 150mm 36Talas if I were you. Light and stiff yes...but also not exactly buttery smooth. I've had one for 2.5 years and just switched it for a DUC32 I found going cheap. The 36 Talas (150) has serious stiction problems plus that particular model also had a travel adjust hickup in that it sometimes locked up at a certain travel and would not budge. I ended up selling mine off for 450euros +service in almost mint condition.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendog13
    Just my two cents but I would steer away from teh 150mm 36Talas if I were you. Light and stiff yes...but also not exactly buttery smooth. I've had one for 2.5 years and just switched it for a DUC32 I found going cheap. The 36 Talas (150) has serious stiction problems plus that particular model also had a travel adjust hickup in that it sometimes locked up at a certain travel and would not budge. I ended up selling mine off for 450euros +service in almost mint condition.
    I've also heard a few horror stories about that fork, I'm very apprehensive

mtbr member
    May 2006
    150mm talas also had a few issues with not coming back up to full travel, I think the Van's are the way to go if you want a 36.