FASTER, DAMIT, FASTER
    Sep 2008

Dream machine vs. The Quiver

I have a problem. It's a good problem to have, but none the less, it's a problem in my bike-centric mind.

My problem is that I'm having a hard time deciding on my next bike(s). Do I build up my next bike as a a carbon fiber clad trail god (such as the Bronson) or do I split my monies and maybe pick up two bikes (such as the new Bantam and the new Heckler)? I am currently riding a tricked out TRc, which I have been enjoying very much. It's such a fun bike and on 90% of trails it's really all the bike a guy could ask for. But...on that other 10% of trails I seem to always find myself wanting more bike. Plus, I have gotten into the enduro racing thing (please don't judge me) which influences about every bike related decision I make...

So what would you do?

Quick info about myself: Passionate mtb-er for the last 15 years. Decent cardo with good tech skills. Like I said I've been racing a lot lately and I plan to race 5-7 enduros next season. Local trails are plentiful but pretty tame, lots of quasi-flowy single track that makes you climb up everything that you plan on descending. Also I travel quite a bit to bike Oregon, Utah, Wyoming...my budget is around $6k. I appreciate any thoughts ya'all might have. Thanks.
    DON'T EXTINGUISH THE STOKE.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I was in a similar situation last year. I kept thinking I wanted one "trail killer" in a NomadC, and for a few months I loved it. But then I'd go on the longer rides (20+ miles here in Colorado) and it was tough for me to keep up if the pace was faster and it was more of an XC-type ride. This past winter I decided to sell the NomadC and build a "quiver" of bikes... so now I have the Blur LT with 27.5" wheels and a Superlight 29er. Personally, I like having a choice of bikes when I go ride. I end up riding the Blur LT a lot more than the Superlight, but that's OK since I spent more money on the BLT.

mtbr member

Dream machine vs. The Quiver

Don't downgrade to two single pivot sc offerings. They are amazing bikes and a good value, but you already own what I consider the best 26" trail bike. Why not build either a very burly Bronson, or something a little bigger even. Are you set on 27.5"?
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nightofthefleming View Post
    Don't downgrade to two single pivot sc offerings. They are amazing bikes and a good value, but you already own what I consider the best 26" trail bike. Why not build either a very burly Bronson, or something a little bigger even. Are you set on 27.5"?
    I completely agree.... I say go dream bike. One thing Ive noticed when I have had a quiver that has any overlap (usually with snowboards) is that Im always second guessing what I should take. And at times I find that this dilemma puts a damper on my ride. I end up wishing I had this one for that and that one for this sort of thing. Now if your quiver is very different (downhill bike vs trail) that's another story. Id go Bronson or maybe TBLTC.

FASTER, DAMIT, FASTER
    Sep 2008
    I appreciate the replies. The one thing that I failed to mention in my OP is that my current bike has to go to make room for the new one. That's why it's kind of and "either/or" situation. Believe me, if I could keep my TRc and build a Bronson I would do it, but it's just not in the cards right now.

I'm not completely set on 27.5, but my next bike will not be a 26". I've seen the advantages that the big wheels have in rocky/rough terrain it seems that the bigger wheels are faster. I am becoming more open to the idea of a 29er, but I still want the bike to be playful. I am worried that if I buy the two cheaper bike I will find myself lusting over having the more expensive carbon fiber steed. I guess that's why this decision seems hard...
    DON'T EXTINGUISH THE STOKE.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ever consider the cheaper way to start? 650B the TRc to see if you like 650B before spending a ton of cash on a new bike.
    If you go with a nice wheel set, you can swap it over to the Bronson and sell the take offs.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZe View Post
    I appreciate the replies. The one thing that I failed to mention in my OP is that my current bike has to go to make room for the new one. That's why it's kind of and "either/or" situation. Believe me, if I could keep my TRc and build a Bronson I would do it, but it's just not in the cards right now.
    So just wait.

Have you read the thread talking about moving from TRc 650b to a Solo?
    SOLO review vs. TRc 650b

Your TRc is a very, very good short-travel bike. You are not going to find better and if anything you would be better served to upgrade the suspension or wheels, even if that means going really high-end. (If you're already on ENVEs and a Pike... nevermind.)

I do see the point in getting a longer travel bike with a higher bottom bracket, but I wouldn't get rid of the TRc to do it. I most definitely, absolutely would not suggest downgrading to two single pivot bikes. You would instantly regret that decision.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EeZe View Post
    So what would you do?
    I wouldn't go carbon, but I'm working on my next MTB and it will be One Bike To Rule Them All....well at least mostly...I also have a fat bike for beach/desert duty and a rigid 29er for bikepacking, but they don't compete with my FS MTB for trail riding duty.

I think it makes more sense to put all your $$ into one sweet build than get two okay builds.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com