mtbr member

Down tube protection for Blur XC carbon

GRILLA GUARDZ just released a downtube protector for the Santa Cruz Blur XC carbon frame (2009~2013). It may also fit the Tall Boy. You will have to search for them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Down tube protection for Blur XC carbon-p1030854.jpg  

Down tube protection for Blur XC carbon-p1030850.jpg  

Down tube protection for Blur XC carbon-p1030849.jpg  

Last edited by nyrdrms; 11-26-2012 at 12:27 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nyrdrms View Post
    GRILLA GUARDZ just released a downtube protector for the Santa Cruz Blur XC carbon frame (2009~2013). It may also fit the Tall Boy. You can find them on ebay.
    You have a link...not seeing them on eBay. Thnx

mtbr member
    Not sure if I can do that without it being spam. Just search for Santa Cruz downtube . I think that would bring it up. Just tried it and it came up. Good luck searching..$?? with two stainless steel bolts and free shipping in US.
    Last edited by nyrdrms; 11-26-2012 at 12:28 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Looks nice, but I personally like the ones by cytoe since they also cover the linkage area.
    Rock protection for Santa Cruz and Niner frames - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass
    12 TallboyC Frame for Sale-Large

mtbr member
    Yeah it looks super stiff but heavy (60grms). I'm not sure if I will need the linkage covered. I punch a couple holes in my top fuel from rocks. All were just in front of the bb area.

mtbr member
    Here, give this a try:
    Remove the shock and cycle the bike's rear movement thru its range. Take note on how low the BB and more specifically the (carbon) rear linkage pivot drops.
    I like to play in rock gardens and have been lucky that I've only had paint chips removed from my pivots. And, I can't even tell you how often I hear the telling "TICK" from rocks kicked up by the front wheel hitting the guard. But worse, the "THUD THUD THUD" from the bigger rocks flipped up by the front wheel pinballing between the downtube/BB/pivot, crank/bashy.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yeah it looks super stiff but heavy (60grms). I'm not sure if I will need the linkage covered. I punch a couple holes in my top fuel from rocks. All were just in front of the bb area.
    After seeing pictures of the lower link area on other SC bikes, I have no doubt that I want the plate that covers it.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Not sure if I can do that without it being spam. Just search for Santa Cruz downtube . I think that would bring it up. Just tried it and it came up. Good luck searching..$25 with two stainless steel bolts and free shipping in US.
    No it's not spam.....you were asked.

mtbr member
    Try this: You'll have to search the web for it.
    Last edited by nyrdrms; 11-26-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: TwoTone feels this is spam so I deleted. Don'ty want to upset anyone on here.

mtbr member

GRILLA GUARDZ New release

OK, finished up a new version as well as a lower link protector. Gave it a work out this weekend. NO issues with noise. Had a couple of rocks bounce off the down tube with no damage. The only nicks I have had on the lower link came from the chain in granny gear. The link guard helps with that issue as well. The grease fitting is used as an anti-rotation device. How ofter are you greasing your lower links? Opinions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Down tube protection for Blur XC carbon-p1030878.jpg  

Down tube protection for Blur XC carbon-p1030880.jpg  

Down tube protection for Blur XC carbon-p1030885.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Sounds like you're the one making them, if so not cool coming on here and liking to Ebay without taking an add out on here like vendors are supposed too.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    I deleated. Don't want to offend anyone. I was asked about the link so I posted it. As you can see if you read the above posts, I did express my concern it would be spam. I elected to post since it was requested. Why take an add out on a product without checking out the opinions of consumers? I just want to bring awareness to Blur riders and get some feedback (within reason). If it turns out to get some traction among Blur and possibly Tallboy riders, then taking an add out would be the next step.
    Last edited by nyrdrms; 11-26-2012 at 01:19 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Sounds like you're the one making them, if so not cool coming on here and liking to Ebay without taking an add out on here like vendors are supposed too.
    Settle petaI, no harm done....I couldnt find it through an eBay search so all is fair.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I deleated. Don't want to offend anyone. I was asked about the link so I posted it. As you can see if you read the above posts, I did express my concern it would be spam. I elected to post since it was requested. Why take an add out on a product without checking out the opinions of consumers? I just want to bring awareness to Blur riders and get some feedback (within reason). If it turns out to get some traction among Blur and possibly Tallboy riders, then taking an add out would be the next step.
    If you want feedback, It's needs to be one piece. Again, I'm not bashing what you're doing, the zip tie attachment is somewhat lacking. Also, one piece covers the link area and keeps dirt out.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    I get the "one piece" idea and it has it's merits. To have one piece (not attached to the lower linkage) the material will need to be much thicker...increasing weight. This is ment to be good protection at minimal weight. Dust and mud will find its way to anything with the smallest amount of grease on it regardless of trying to cover it unless it is totally encapsulated. Tire rotation will sling dust and mud into that area from top down. Agreed the zip tie is not a stealthy as I would like it to be. It does allow access to the grease ports at the expense of a cheap zip tie (wondering how often owners grease the linkage). I have other ways the linkage guard could attach but not without expensive tooling. Once attached, the zip tie is not noticable unless the bike is turned upside down.

Thanks for you comments.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I get the "one piece" idea and it has it's merits. To have one piece (not attached to the lower linkage) the material will need to be much thicker...increasing weight. This is ment to be good protection at minimal weight. Dust and mud will find its way to anything with the smallest amount of grease on it regardless of trying to cover it unless it is totally encapsulated. Tire rotation will sling dust and mud into that area from top down. Agreed the zip tie is not a stealthy as I would like it to be. It does allow access to the grease ports at the expense of a cheap zip tie (wondering how often owners grease the linkage). I have other ways the linkage guard could attach but not without expensive tooling. Once attached, the zip tie is not noticable unless the bike is turned upside down.

Thanks for you comments.
    Just keep in mind you're going to have to compete with a one piece product that has been out a while. Yes dirt and dust will find it way there, but where I ride also has mud and I seen other Tallboys with out the one piece protection and thiers get a lot more crap in the linkage area then mine
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass