mtbr member
    May 2006

Does the Nomad need an adjustable travel fork?

I'll be getting the new 2009 Nomad and ideally I'd like to spec it with a '09 Van 36 160mm up front. I ride both XC and DH trails, and wanted to know how well the Nomad handles the uphills with a non-adjustable 160mm fork?

Toughest uphill trail in my area is a steep 1-1.5hour 9km ride that up to now I've been able to climb with my Heckler/Talas setting on 100mm, seat all the way up, and on the lightest gear, seated. Will the Nomad+Van 160mm be able to handle that? I'm thinking more in terms of the bike's geometry at 160mm while climbing, whether the front end of the bike will wonder too much, whether my stance will be too unconfortable, etc..

I'm light-weight (150-155lb with gear) and somehow I'd like to stay away from the Talas 36 for the Nomad since I think the Van would be plushier and a better performer generally in all conditions, except perhaps the steep uphills, like the one I mentioned above, not because of the fork but because of the bike's geometry at 160mm.

Since the 09 Nomad is not yet released, your experience with the current Nomad is very welcome.

Thanks everyone!

Mike

I'm using a 36Van on my Nomad. Don't know what grade that climb of yours is, but I've done some good steep climbing on mine and only occasionally wish my front end was a bit lower, but not so much as to want an air fork. I just adjust my riding position a bit and wandering is only a problem on the steepest sections (where it'd be tough even on my xc/race bike). I can't imagine climbing a long/steep climb with my seat other than in optimal pedaling position, though (that's where the gravity dropper comes in).
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I run a Talas36 and a Maverick adjustable seat post. Love em both. I never use the 100mm setting on my fork but going from 160 to 130 really makes long steep climbs more comfortable. When I get to the top I can let out the fork and drop the post without stopping and in a second it feels like I've gone from a xc/am set up to a more aggressive dh/fr set up. IMO that's the real beauty of the Nomad.

Creepy tooth fairy

Probably not...

...I have a Lyrik U-turn on mine and I never feel like I need to drop the front end. I run a 70mm stem and the most I ever find myself doing is engaging the floodgate lock-out, however rarely. I say go for the Van if you are after that coil goodness and wanna save a few bucks. Otherwise, have yr cake and eat it too with a Talas 36.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

Got A Lust for Life...
    I rode the 09 Nomad at Bootleg for an hour. I never felt like I needed to change the travel. The 36 was at 160 and felt great pedaling up the fire road in addition to the steep short ups on the trails. It is a sweet climbing bike btw. I too am going to be getting one.
    I am immune to your disdain.

one more time
    Oct 2005
    Im running the 36 Van on mine - had the early 'poo brown' Talas and found I never used the travel adjustment.

Your comments about the plushness are spot on... the van is a sweet fork, great match for the nomad. I have a blur classic also and Ive never found the nomad difficult to climb steep sections - sure its no XC whippet but it gets the job done just fine.

Hey - when are you expecting the new nomad?
    Bikes, beer and pizza.

TNC
    noMAD man
    I've run the Van 36 on my '06 Nomad and didn't miss travel reduction. I've run the '06 66SL which has adjustable travel and never used it. I now use an '08 Nixon 160 Air and still don't miss travel reduction or lockouts. The Nomad is somewhat unusual in not being as dependent on travel reduction devices to maintain good climbing characteristics as some bikes IMO.

mtbr member
    I have some very steep, long fireroad and single track to access dh runs nearby. Currrently Iam running an 08 66ata with 888lowers on my 08 nomad, Find it climbs very nicely in the 140mm range, then crank out to 170-180 for downhill. Fork needed work before it was dialed, but now I quite like it.

KEEP ROLLING
    i have the 36 float rc2 i do lots of XC steep climes and decents, there has been no need to change the hight

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm a 170, 5,7 rider and I have the Talas on mine and love it. That travel reduction really helps on those long single track climbs where the grades change often. I too have been thinking of the Vanilla, but I really like the option to drop the front when I need it. I've ridden both the 32 and 36 talas. Now if you were to ask me do you need it on the 32? No. But the 36? Yes, sometimes, hell yeah. A lightweight rider? Might be beneficial for you. Adjusting your weight to the front and on those long climbs can be brutal. Plus the new Talas adjustments are silly easy right now. 1 click to get the height you want? Why not?

Natural body armor
    I have a Nomad with 160mm 66L ETA, that locks out around 110mm.
    Don't think is that useful, especially climbing fireroads.
    Only time is really useful is on steep technical stuff, mainly because at that point you are riding a unicycle...
    Still it's a nice to have that can be replaced with proper technique.

ZT
    "There is no A-line"
    Quadzilla - On-One USA

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks to everyone for their comments. Looks like I'll be ordering a Van 36.

I'll be back in a couple of months with ride comments on how the 09 Nomad+Van are performing on that steep uphill I described in my initial post.

As some people were asking, the reason I prefer to stay away from the Talas 36 (presently on my Heckler) is that at my weight - 150-155lb w/gear - I have problems tune it and I find that I'm not able to use all the travel. I want something that is more plush and hope that coil is the solution!

Now that we sorted the front suspension, what do you think I should spec on the rear? It's either Monarch, or DHXA, or DHXC. Weight is becoming an issue and hence I prefer to stay away from the DHXC. I know the present Nomad has some issues with the DHXA and lack of mid-stroke support but I've been told that's been sorted with the new Nomad. So it's either the lighter but simplier Monarch 3.3 or the 250g heavier but more sophisticated DHXA 5.0...

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    ccdb is the only way to go dont worry about 250 grams how heavy is your pack w liq . an tools w tube id rather have the ride quality an adjustability its the best shock period an the van is also a great choice its to bad the ccdb isnt spect. but get the cheapest oem set up an order a ccdb you will love it
    trlridr

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I prefer it, but I live in an area where climbs of long durations are common.

Propr
    So glad you started this thread...I've been pulling my hair out going back and forth between the two options...now I know I'm going Van36 RC2. I've been using the RS Lyrik solo air and have been climbing pretty much everything on the local trails (Auburn/Foresthill/HITG) without much problem. The front end does tend to wander a bit and the wide 711 bars probably don't help either. But the RS is blown internally (gate valve doesn't work anymore) and needs a rebuild + new uppers again. Great fork other than that; think it was a 1st gen.

I guess my major problem was just knowing that lowering the fork height changes the HT angle which in turn puts you in a better riding position for climbing...but with the Nomad's design maybe it's not really necessary. Rob @ bikeskills told me Weir's rockin' the Float36 on his Nomad for the weight savings but still getting the 160mm travel of course...and that guy can pretty much climb anything he wants!

Anyway hope to be rockin' the 2008 Van36 next week...think the 09 is kind of hard to get right now.

I will miss the Maxle 360 though...
    Last edited by Lowball; 10-02-2008 at 12:43 AM.
    12 Bandit Two9 (sold)
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Tarmac SL3

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowball
    So glad you started this thread...I've been pulling my hair out going back and forth between the two options...now I know I'm going Van36 RC2. I've been using the RS Lyrik solo air and have been climbing pretty much everything on the local trails (Auburn/Foresthill/HITG) without much problem. The front end does tend to wander a bit and the wide 711 bars probably don't help either. But the RS is blown internally (gate valve doesn't work anymore) and needs a rebuild + new uppers again. Great fork other than that; think it was a 1st gen.

I guess my major problem was just knowing that lowering the fork height changes the HT angle which in turn puts you in a better riding position for climbing...but with the Nomad's design maybe it's not really necessary. Rob @ bikeskills told me Weir's rockin' the Float36 on his Nomad for the weight savings but still getting the 160mm travel of course...and that guy can pretty much climb anything he wants!

Anyway hope to be rockin' the 2008 Van36 next week...think the 09 is kind of hard to get right now.

I will miss the Maxle 360 though...

Dude, what about the rear shock? What is Weir or any of the guys lucky enough to be on a 2009 nomad prefer?

Thanks

eBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by mikecy
    Dude, what about the rear shock? What is Weir or any of the guys lucky enough to be on a 2009 nomad prefer?

Thanks
    Weir fully weight weenies out his Nomad for racing (and even clears his colon ), but still runs a DHX coil in the back (with Ti spring). I think that says a lot.

That is for the pre 09 version tho.

P

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have two shocks and two forks on my Nomad.

Forks: My 2008 66 at 180mm travel is too high for decent climbing, it rocks for DH days though. So for trail riding I use a 2007 Nixon Elite coil that is 160mm with a travel adjust to 130mm. I never use the travel reduction on regular trails where it's short up short down type of thing, even if it is very steep uphill. However, if it's a singletrack that climbs for 30 minutes or more and there will be some steep sections, I dial it down to 130mm and it makes the climb quite a bit more fun and comfortable.

Shocks: I have a Marzo Rocco WC coil tuned by Push with a TI spring that I use most of the time. It makes the Nomad noticeably plusher then my other shock, a Fox Float R also tuned by Push. I use the Float only when I know that I'll have lots of long climbing to do. It is fine with the Float, specially after I sent it to Push for a custom tune but the Nomad deserves a coil shock to shine at it's full potential, IMO.

mtbr member
    "Does the Nomad need an adjustable travel fork?"

No, not really