mtbr member
    May 2006

dirt jumping question with BLT2

With the RP23, is it bad to put it on propedal fully locked out while dirt jumping?

I dont go that big, and is mainly table tops. Last weekend I took the hardtail out and found that I can pick up much more speed on the backside of the landing with it than the BLT2.

To simulate the same effect, I want to try putting the rp23 on propedal lockout 3 while jumping.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I don't think it will be a good idea to lock out the shock to jump, probably better running more air pressure so at least the shock can still operate, you may cause damage otherwise

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    obv the stiffer the bike, the better "pump" you'll get on backsides, berms, rollers, and transitions of all kind.

with a suspension bike, that's more of a low-speed compression thing... which is what you'll get with propedal.

if you want a stiffer hit when you land, that's more of a high-speed compression characteristic, which you can't adjust on the RP23... the closest you can get to that is more air, changing the spring rate.

sounds to me like you want to ramp-up your propedal. have fun.

mtbr member
    I've done a little bit of dj'ing and pump tracking with my lt and the answer is yes. I found that putting the rear in the highest propedal and increasing the shock pressure helped alot to stiffen up the rear, and don't forget to set rebound at it's slowest setting.

Just another FOC'er
    Putting a lot of pressure in the shock is the best way to get good pump on landings. Any shock damping, whether it's compression or rebound, will suck the energy out of your jump.

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by .Danno.
    Putting a lot of pressure in the shock is the best way to get good pump on landings. Any shock damping, whether it's compression or rebound, will suck the energy out of your jump.
    lack of dampening will suck the energy out of the jump. having a higher spring rate will not necessarily increase control unless the intention is to just have such a stiff air spring that you don't break into the stroke at all or very very little... but then why would he be jumping on the BLT2 in the first place?

mtbr member

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by brettf
    but then why would he be jumping on the BLT2 in the first place?
    Why wouldn't he be ?

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by kidtrailboss
    Why wouldn't he be ?
    my point is: why ramp up the spring rate so high on the BLT that it makes it as stiff as a hardtail when he could just ride the hardtail?

Use the suspension and ramp up the compression dampening (and the spring to some degree) in order to get better pump out of the system.... then the suspension still gives you cush if you case or land less-than-smoothly yet still allows you to pump. and whoever mentioned ramping up rebound dampening is on the money too.