mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Difference between Blur Classic & XC

I have a Blur Classic. Not too happy with it. I've gone through two 5th Elements. The IFP doesn't seem to hold any pressure. My father and brother have the Blur XC and the feel is very different. Is there supposed to be a difference between the two?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BCAD6
    I have a Blur Classic. Not too happy with it. I've gone through two 5th Elements. The IFP doesn't seem to hold any pressure. My father and brother have the Blur XC and the feel is very different. Is there supposed to be a difference between the two?
    Your problem is the 5th Element. If they have Progressives too, there's are the newer productions indicatd by the newer frame. Don't hate the bike hate the component. I recently purchased a left over classic but I had the RP3 put on. The bike is much better than I am. You could buy an old Float and have it PUSHED too.

Knomer
    The XC is a race frame which has lighter tubing, steeper geometry, and less travel than the Classic.

I'd look into a different shock. I've heard plenty of complaints about 5th airs on vpp designs not working well.
    Global Director of Sales: Knolly Bikes

mtbr member
    May 2005
    In my experience the 5th air is a fine shock. It does need some "tuning" to get the best performance on the Blur classic. The IFP provides the "platform" for the shock. Since the VPP design on a classic has little need for "platform" I run mine with approximately 25 psi in it. That is like 1.5 pump strokes. When you screw the pump back on to check the pressure it uses most of that air to fill the pump and gage and then reads near zero. The shock did not lose the pressure, it just gets vented back into the pump. Progressive recommends 50 psi minimum for the IFP but I find that makes the bike lose small bump response. Set the main chamber to get .5" sag on the shock. Adjust the rebound starting from full open until the shock allows only 1 cycle of the suspension when you ride off a curb while seated. That should put you real close for xc or trailriding. You'll need more rebound if you are doing some time on the jumps as the rear will tend to kick when it hits the lip