mtbr member
    Feb 2008

decisions decisions blt1 or 2

Man, I know this has been brought up before, but I can't decide if I should go for a good deal on a blt1 frame or spring for a new blt 2 frame. Currently I am riding a Blur classic, which I still enjoy. I haven't had a bad experience with the bearing issues or the creak. Ya, I have changed them out a few times and don't think it's that big of a deal. The area where I ride is dry so they don't get exposed to that much moisture. I am in no hurry since I have my classic. I could save over $700 dollars going with the classic LT or do I just shell out the extra cash for the lt2. I am going to take my time with the build. I like small bump sensitivity, which the classic has and believe it or not I like the looks of the classic better, but will take function over looks along with ride quality, hmmmmm, what do you guys or girls think.

mtbr member
    i personally think the blt2 is the only way to go. I think you are going to find yourself hearing the same thing from maaaaannny people. I have read nothing but good things about the versatility of the blt2 and decided to go with one myself . I will post some pics on this thread a little later cheers

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I don't know if this will be an issue for you, but beware: the BLT2 has no water bottle mounts.
    Last edited by happyriding; 09-17-2008 at 09:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I currently have a BLT1 that I love to bits, had a quick spin on a BLT2 the other day and instantly could tell its a better bike than the 1, is it worth the extra $$? Only you can say..

I heart bikes!
    i also rode a blt2 the other day and it felt better than my blt1...go for the blt2

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding
    I don't know if this will be an issue for you, but beware: the BLT2 has no water bottle mounts.

Yeah, this part really sucks. What were they thinking....

Not every ride needs a camel back, nor is it that convenient. Sometimes I just want to grab the bike and go with just a helmet and nothing else. (Like those 5am one hour ride before work).

But I guess thats not what the bike is made for. I almost went with a heckler b/c of this, but ended up with BLT2.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I was in the same boat as you. Picked up a BLT1 on a deal, got it home and began having regrets for not going for the BLT2. My LBS was very cool in offering to swap it out, for some extra cash of course. Only bummer is I have to wait several weeks for the BLT2 frame to arrive. I've ridden both, and I agree with the previous posters that the BLT2 is a better ride. And the lower maintenance pivots are a big plus IMO. As has been said, only you can decide if it's $700 better.

mtbr member
    Going with the latest model is almost always the best choice (improvements in suspension leverage, more travel, minimal wt gain, grease ports, better designed linkage and bearings the list goes on) but I'm holding out for XC/Light Trail version of the BLT2 (Blur XC2 or Blur LT2 Lite).

SC would need to shorten the head tube, .5mm longer toptube, tighten up the headtube angle, add adjustable rear suspension travel shock mounts (140/125 or 130mm setting) and maybe they could reduce the rear travel so Blur Classic, XC & BLT owners could reuse their rear shocks. Add a down tube water bottle mount (drop the adj seat tube cable guide & QR seat collar), move the lower linkage grease zerks to the sides or include some sort of plastic zerk cover (the front tire shoots mud directly at those uncovered zerks). Shorten the chainstays a tad, add some Ti bolts and shafts wouldn't hurt either.
    If SC makes these changes and somehow trims at least half a pound from the frame I would trade in my Blur Classic for one in a flash. Oh yeah, add a couple of new ano colors and bring back the cool citrus.
    Last edited by OffRoadRoadie; 09-19-2008 at 07:56 AM.

emtb.pl
    Quote Originally Posted by OffRoadRoadie
    If SC makes these changes and somehow trims at least half a pound from the frame
    The only part I disagree with - my XL LT2 is 163g heavier than my XL LT1 (frames incl shocks)

mtbr member
    Yeah, but it's over a pound heavier than the Blur Classic and BXC.

Rider and Wrench
    I purchased a BLT 1 for a steal a few months ago and love it for the type of riding I do (I have heard that the BLT 1 does better on small bumb but the BLT 2 is better for drops etc..???).
    I was in a different boat because I had not fell in love (well the SL was nice but beat) with any of my previous F/S frames and went from a 05 SL to an 07 BL XC and liked the SL but the BL XC did not like my 210 lb geared up weight. So I found a New 07 w/ rp23 and am glad I did. At that time only a wisper of the BLT 2 was out and nobody could get one, so I figured I would wait a year or two. I will always look for the ultimate trail bike that can do it all (but I will still want that hardtail or 29er too...) and every year they will change this or change that to make it better.... the lust for the latest and greatest will never end!

You already have the classic so I think the jump to the BLT 2 would be more noticeable and you are in no rush so if I where in your shoes and the money was not a huge issue I would probably hold out for the BLT 2 plus you would be keeping up with the Jones'.

Here are the options:

1. Get the deal on the BLT 1 and pocket the cash for a rainy day (or the next fed bail out?)

2. you can just build the BLT 1 $700 better... Wheelset, fork, drivetrain...

3. Buy the BLT 2 and have the latest and greatest (for now unitil next year when Santa Cruz makes there mid run changes...)

4. Splurge on the BLT 2 and spend an extra $700 on the build!

Good luck with it- Either way you have a great bike and you will end up with a better one-

MEDBLKANOSCBLT2RP23
    I second the Citrus ano color. But that will have to be on the BLT3, I'm keeping the ano blk BLT2 for sure.

emtb.pl
    Quote Originally Posted by OffRoadRoadie
    Yeah, but it's over a pound heavier than the Blur Classic and BXC.
    Yeah but it's three pounds more more versatile and fun:P

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    blt1 just for the ano orange. greatest sc color ever.
    jk, like above. if you have the money and are comfortable with spending it, go for the blt2. if not, the blt1 will be a great choice too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I will go with the BLT2. I would always be wondering what I was missing. The BLT2 sounds awesome. I will test ride one soon. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just the thread I was looking for. I can get a good deal on an 08 BUT I really like that new 09 frame. I just wasn't sure if it was all show which is seems that isn't true. I guess for something that I will have for a long time it may be worth to pay a little extra now to have what I really want. I think I might wait a month or two and see if I can get a better price. Isn't winter one of the better times to buy a new bike?

Got A Lust for Life...
    Another question you must ask is "do I like squeaky pivots?"

If the answer is no...LT2 is the only reasonable choice.
    I am immune to your disdain.