mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Custom Bullit shuttle for air shocks??

So I'm converting my 01 Bullit to an air shock and I start to think....

Hmmm.....

Wouldn't it be easy to make the leverage ratio more "air friendly" by fabricating a shuttle that would move the eye mount up towards the top tube???

Unrelated. I painted it today too...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I did this to my 01 Heckler, when I recieved an 03 SL rear as a replacement. Only, I went the other way to make it more " coil friendly"(more linear, opposed to falling rate).
    I wouldn't think it to be as necessary for a air shock, only because you can tune it with the air pressure. But to make it use it's travel "better", you could be totally correct. Also a contributing factor would be the air shock you'd be using. For example, it would be less needed with a DHX air as opposed to a standard Float.
    Attached Images Attached Images

TNC
    noMAD man

Are you aware...

That the '03 and later model Bullits use such a system? I also put one on my '99 model. You can flip it up or down for a slight rising or slight falling influence, depending on what you want for your preference. BTW, Rideon, that's a nice piece of work on your bike there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks TNC. It's amazing what you can do with a hacksaw, file, drillpress, and alot of determination(sweat).

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    TNC,, which way creates rising/falling, my guess is up is falling and vic versa. and are the two ways really noticeable.

TNC
    noMAD man

Good guess.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddy_ryder
    TNC,, which way creates rising/falling, my guess is up is falling and vic versa. and are the two ways really noticeable.
    And yes, it does make a noticeable difference, though it's not a night/day type of deal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    That the '03 and later model Bullits use such a system? I also put one on my '99 model. You can flip it up or down for a slight rising or slight falling influence, depending on what you want for your preference. BTW, Rideon, that's a nice piece of work on your bike there.
    My 2001 has that same shuttle but I was hoping some fabricator out there was making ones that had a higher mounting point.

Which way should I have it set for an air shock? Up I'm guessing.

TNC
    noMAD man

Further up.

Quote Originally Posted by edge
    My 2001 has that same shuttle but I was hoping some fabricator out there was making ones that had a higher mounting point.

Which way should I have it set for an air shock? Up I'm guessing.
    A Bullit's shock angle is pretty darned good with the newer "kicked up" shuttle in the up position. It's why SC went to that setup and not higher. I think you'd experience too severe a falling rare regardless of your shock, air or coil. I don't of anyone running the shock in the lower position for coil or air shocks, but surely someone is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New Paint on your Bullit

Quote Originally Posted by edge
    So I'm converting my 01 Bullit to an air shock and I start to think....

Hmmm.....

Wouldn't it be easy to make the leverage ratio more "air friendly" by fabricating a shuttle that would move the eye mount up towards the top tube???

Unrelated. I painted it today too...

Is that paint or powder coating on your Bullit frame? It looks really nice!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 67degrees
    Is that paint or powder coating on your Bullit frame? It looks really nice!
    tHANKS. That's 4 coats of primer and 4 coats of ultra flat black. I'm making stencils of santa cruz for the downtube and steve "the bullit" mcqueen for the headbadge. Should be a sick bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    A Bullit's shock angle is pretty darned good with the newer "kicked up" shuttle in the up position. It's why SC went to that setup and not higher. I think you'd experience too severe a falling rare regardless of your shock, air or coil. I don't of anyone running the shock in the lower position for coil or air shocks, but surely someone is.

that was my next question. i moved from teh down to up position when i swapped out to the 8.5 i2i shock. im more of "hucker/free rider type" should i be running up or down?

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    Dude that is NICE!!!!! What did you use to remove the old paint, my bullit is starting to need a paint job. Hope all of the shock stuff works out!!!