Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Cracked Nomad Shock Mount? :eekster:

Just arrived at home after a ride today and was wiping my bike off and noticed what appears to be a crack on the frame's shock mount. This was not here a week ago, I know this because I just serviced all the pivots a week ago. Let me know what you think. Thanks

mtbr member
    did you check the mounts after you serviced the pivots?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    No, but I am very detail oriented. I would have noticed this.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by mdobberina
    Just arrived at home after a ride today and was wiping my bike off and noticed what appears to be a crack on the frame's shock mount. This was not here a week ago, I know this because I just serviced all the pivots a week ago. Let me know what you think. Thanks

I'm not seeing anything that looks like a crack to me. Can you highlight the area you think is a crack?

Karl

mtbr member
    I don't see it neither

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick
    I'm not seeing anything that looks like a crack to me. Can you highlight the area you think is a crack?

Karl

In person this definately looks like a crack. I tried my best to capture the image but this was the best I could do.

mtbr member
    Is that the white line that you are talking about? or is there something else next to the white line?

If the white line is what you are talking about, it is a edge of the aluminum plate welded to the frame. Paints usually don't stick to hard edges like that.

I actually blow your photo up to 400% in Photoshop, but I didn't see anything...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by THE DESIGNER
    Is that the white line that you are talking about? or is there something else next to the white line?

If the white line is what you are talking about, it is a edge of the aluminum plate welded to the frame. Paints usually don't stick to hard edges like that.
    I tend to agree...

KEEP ROLLING
    relax its not a crack . .. thin paint, white under coat showing threw the green.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    If it is in fact just the paint cracking it was not there a week ago.

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Look at the other side, it looks just like the area you circled, just not as light colored. I think the others are right IMO.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I was hoping for a crack!!! That way I possible end up with the new one for a small fee............. Dang it

Quote Originally Posted by mdobberina
    I was hoping for a crack!!! That way I possible end up with the new one for a small fee............. Dang it
    That'll teach ya fer ridin' a gang green Nomad.....
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    hard to tell from the picture. hopefully not a crack. if you can't be sure either, maybe take to a machine shop where they are familiar with aluminum and have them check it out...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    That'll teach ya fer ridin' a gang green Nomad.....
    I really like the Ganggreen, I have not seen anyone with the same color on any model of Santa Cruz.

mad scientist
    Jul 2007
    Mdobberina-

Have your bike checked out by an SCB dealer. There is no white undercoat that can show through since it's painted with a single-layer powdercoat. There is no edge to any welded aluminum plate because the shock mount is a one-piece forging. The area you're suspecting to be cracked may indeed be cracked - though it's likely a non-structural threat if it came about due to the manhandling it experienced during the alignment process. If it isn't growing, it probably won't grow any more.

Measure your shock eyelet width, too. It may be off-spec and allowed the shock mount "ears" to get squeezed or spread out and crack.

(For reference, I'm on the SCB payroll.)

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by w8up4me
    Mdobberina-

Have your bike checked out by an SCB dealer. There is no white undercoat that can show through since it's painted with a single-layer powdercoat. There is no edge to any welded aluminum plate because the shock mount is a one-piece forging. The area you're suspecting to be cracked may indeed be cracked - though it's likely a non-structural threat if it came about due to the manhandling it experienced during the alignment process. If it isn't growing, it probably won't grow any more.

Measure your shock eyelet width, too. It may be off-spec and allowed the shock mount "ears" to get squeezed or spread out and crack.

Thanks for the information!! Can you recommend a dealer in the Salt Lake City, Utah area? There is only one dealer I can think of in my area, but I would prefer to go somewhere else............... they are a bunch of idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by w8up4me
    Mdobberina-

If it is cracked, for what ever reason, the right plate looks just like the left one. The dot in the center has the same light colored edges and I don't think it is a crack. I think it is just the aluminum showing through where the pc didn't stick to the sharp edge of the "shock mount ears". Much-a-do-about-nothin' IMO. The "SC worker" that has (3) total posts....may or maynot be telling us something.......hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....?
    Last edited by man w/ one hand; 08-19-2008 at 10:39 AM.

organically fed
    Much-a-do-about-nothin' IMO. The "SC worker" that has (3) total posts....may or maynot be telling us something.......hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....?
    Ellsworth troll?

Quote Originally Posted by w00t!
    Ellsworth troll?

Maybe the mods will take notice....

mad scientist
    Jul 2007
    Maybe the mods will take notice....
    ...and find nothing out of order.

Mdobberrina, PM sent your way. I'm going off-line with this.

TNC
    noMAD man

Geez!

This post has taken on a life of its own. That place in the shock mount is not a crack. It is clearly a thin spot in the powdercoat as has already been mentioned by other posters at this point. No slam to you, mdob...I understand your concern. But there's really no need to break out the magnaflux hardware to check out that area. It's a paint issue.

Hey...because we sell SC at our shop, does that mean I'm on the SC payroll? Man...I feel pretty darned important now. Can I get a big, special name tag or something? Please realize that I am totally being silly and having some fun with this. No harm intended. Enjoy your Nomad, mdob.

Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    This post has taken on a life of its own. That place in the shock mount is not a crack. It is clearly a thin spot in the powdercoat as has already been mentioned by other posters at this point. No slam to you, mdob...I understand your concern. But there's really no need to break out the magnaflux hardware to check out that area. It's a paint issue.

Hey...because we sell SC at our shop, does that mean I'm on the SC payroll? Man...I feel pretty darned important now. Can I get a big, special name tag or something? Please realize that I am totally being silly and having some fun with this. No harm intended. Enjoy your Nomad, mdob.

I knew I wasn't crazy. If TNC's eyes can see the obvious here I know mine can cause he's waaay older than I am.....uh, maybe that didn't come out the right way....well you know what I'm sayin'..... j/k

Seriously, this whole post is a lil weird....don't cha think ?? TNC you already made a big name fer yerself here on MTBR, you don't need no SC name tag and huge salary to validate who you are....it'd be nice though, wouldn't it ?

emtb.pl
    Plus there should be a brand of Anti-seize called TNC as well imo

TNC
    noMAD man

Shhhhh!

Quote Originally Posted by krolik
    Plus there should be a brand of Anti-seize called TNC as well imo
    Be quiet! My agent is currently in negotiations with the Permatex corporation as we speak.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast