mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Cracked cable routing point on Blur LTC

Looks like I have a crack developing on my Santa Cruz Blur LT 2 Carbon which was bought a little over 1 year ago.

Its appeared in the right hand side gear cable mounting point prior to where you run the small length of bare shifter cable for the front mech in my case. Its perhaps 3-5mm in length. See the attached pic.

I have changed the side of my front mech as the other one was spare so the problem won't get any worse and I'm not too worried this will cause me to crash and die in a ball of fire.

Has anyone seen anything similar to this and can anyone confirm if those mounting points are carbon fibre or an insert of some sort?
    Also, what are peoples thoughts on getting this on warranty as I can't really be bothered with not having my bike for 2-4 weeks while SC decide if they will give me a replacement?

Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cracked cable routing point on Blur LTC-p1010514.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cblair246 View Post
    Looks like I have a crack developing on my Santa Cruz Blur LT 2 Carbon which was bought a little over 1 year ago.

Its appeared in the right hand side gear cable mounting point prior to where you run the small length of bare shifter cable for the front mech in my case. Its perhaps 3-5mm in length. See the attached pic.

I have changed the side of my front mech as the other one was spare so the problem won't get any worse and I'm not too worried this will cause me to crash and die in a ball of fire.

Has anyone seen anything similar to this and can anyone confirm if those mounting points are carbon fibre or an insert of some sort?
    Also, what are peoples thoughts on getting this on warranty as I can't really be bothered with not having my bike for 2-4 weeks while SC decide if they will give me a replacement?

Thanks.
    I drilled mine out for full length housing runs. Those things are aluminum, so I'm thinking they won't give you a new frame.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the reply and I suspected they were some sort of insert the way it was failing.

Since they are aluminium, why does that stop a new frame under warranty like you mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    I drilled mine out for full length housing runs. Those things are aluminum, so I'm thinking they won't give you a new frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cblair246 View Post
    Thanks for the reply and I suspected they were some sort of insert the way it was failing.

Since they are aluminium, why does that stop a new frame under warranty like you mentioned?
    The thinking was its just bent/deformed from a hit elsewhere on that aluminum part...causing the paint to crack...and can be bent back. If the piece actually breaks off, then what SC does is an unknown. BUT, from past history, SC customer service has been pretty stellar so you may get a new frame.
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pau11y View Post
    The thinking was its just bent/deformed from a hit elsewhere on that aluminum part...causing the paint to crack...and can be bent back. If the piece actually breaks off, then what SC does is an unknown. BUT, from past history, SC customer service has been pretty stellar so you may get a new frame.
    Thanks for the reply again.

The pic shows the mounting after I had removed the front mech cable that was running through it. When this was running through it and there was tension in the gear cable the crack was quite a bit worse. If I had just left it and kept the tension on it would have eventually have just ripped it off I suspect or at the very least made the front mech unusable due to there not being enough tension on the cable.
    Might see what have SC have to say about it in Nov/Dec in case they want me to send the bike in for inspection. Also if I leave it until then they might have run out of Blur LTC frames......Bronson perhaps!!!??? lol

mtbr member
    HAH! Keep us posted on the Bronson upgrade.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮