Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

New question here. Convince me not to buy a Blur TR frame when SC puts them in the sale.

I'm riding a 2004 Blur classic that I built last year from a bare frame. I put good stuff on it that was new last year-- X9 2x10 drivetrain with X0 twisters, 2012 120mm Fox RLC fork, 2013 CTD Trail Adjust shock, Crossmax ST wheels. It weighs 24.5 pounds.

I have done everything on this bike. Downhill (intermediate stuff- no big air), XC, rocky singletrack, etc. It works.

My complaints:

1. rear tire clearance, it has a first gen swingarm which limits to ~2.1 tires
    2. VPP 1.0 leverage ratio has some pedal bob, but it's much better with the new shock
    3. steers pretty damn fast; fine for XC, pretty twitchy DH
    4. it could use fresh powdercoat, which is <$150 locally but I haven't done it yet due to time off the bike
    5. more travel wouldn't hurt
    6. I'm 6'0" with abnormally long arms (79" boxing reach) and I had to get a size XL Blur to get enough top tube

I think the Blur TR addresses all that-- it looks like size L has the same TT as my old Blur classic XL. So would a Solo, but I'm not very interested in paying for a Solo whether I replace anything else or move over as-is. I can use all my existing components except for a headset, and I'd have to use a Cane Creek angleset to re-use my current 1 1/8" fork, which I'd probably do.

Soooo... tell me why I shouldn't do this?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    the only reason would be fork. it'll be short and will lower the BB even more and its already low.
    otherwise slam dunk
    here we go again

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input. The BB on a stock Blur TR is 13.1", but a Blur classic is only 12.6". So, I think that part would be fine. The effective HT angle might not be as slack as desired, but the Angleset could help there too.

And of course, if that didn't work to my satisfaction, I could later move to a 140 fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    TR has 1" more travel than your classic, you'll want a 130-140mm fork to get that BB height 13.1" or more. You'll need it if you ride the TR to it's full capabilities. I've ridden mine with a longer travel fork, I think it only gets better. Shorter fork would be a waste.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Most importantly, the Blur TR has VPP2 technology in the suspension. This will cure the bobbing that you 2004 frame is famous for. No comparison. Time to upgrade right away!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rglsr View Post
    TR has 1" more travel than your classic, you'll want a 130-140mm fork to get that BB height 13.1" or more. You'll need it if you ride the TR to it's full capabilities. I've ridden mine with a longer travel fork, I think it only gets better. Shorter fork would be a waste.
    Good points.

I can afford to do frame and fork at once, but I risk drawing the ire of my wife. Long term I have no doubt that I'd move to a 140mm fork.

Also, I have a longer than recommended fork on my Blur classic-- 120mm Float 32, which has an axle-to-crown length of 491mm. The Blur TR's published geometry is based on 501mm a2c so it wouldn't be horrific.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Seems like a good deal to me! I'm in the same boat with a 2006 Blur LT. Really love the bike, but it has its quirks.

Looks like the TR has a 12mm rear axle though, just something to keep in mind!
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    You know something we don't know? I'd snag a TRa for $900 in a heartbeat.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Where can you find one for $900?
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    I don't have any insider info, but I know the Blur TR has not appeared in the SC sale yet. And I know that the Blur LTa is $900 in the sale, and $1500 for the Blur XCc and LTc.

mtbr member
    It's probably a good prediction. I'll have to keep my eyes open.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Looks like the TR has a 12mm rear axle though, just something to keep in mind!
    I'm set. My 2012 Crossmax ST is native 12x142 rear and 20mm front, and it came with adapters to use 15mm front, QR front, and 135 QR rear.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ah, i didn't realize they were having a sale on them in the SC store! Got it.

It sounds like for the type of riding you do the TR might be a good choice.
    Blur LT & Highball

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Porch View Post
    Ah, i didn't realize they were having a sale on them in the SC store! Got it.
    Not on sale yet... but probably Coming Soon™

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've got a new L TRc frame just back from warrantee Matte / silver. Went with a Bronson when my 2012 TRc broke so now I've got a frame to unload. PM me if interested.

mtbr member
    Not very interested in a used TRc unless the original owner is willing to draft a 'perpetual lease' and retain official ownership, and process any further warranty claims. That rear triangle stuff is not cool at all...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Not on sale yet... but probably Coming Soon™
    I was under the impression that only their discontinued lines are going to show up in their sale section. All the models you listed above as a price reference have been discontinued- blur lta, blur ltc, blur xcc, 26" heckler, etc. Have you seen them do a large discount this year on a current model frameset?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kan3 View Post
    I was under the impression that only their discontinued lines are going to show up in their sale section.
    That is incorrect. In last year's sale, they had Tallboys (which sold quickly except for XXL), Highball carbons, Blurs of all types, V10, Hecklers, Nickels. I can't say whether every single model was in the sale last year. They put models into the sale at various times; they don't release everything in one shot.

I am certain that they are releasing frames into the sale with a very strict plan. Two obvious goals: get rid of bikes that have been discontinued, and get rid of all 2013 inventory as 2014s start to arrive. They also released some sale items in mid-winter, again, probably related to inventory levels.

The Blur TR may not have officially been discontinued yet but it is very obvious that the Solo is the replacement. There is no reason to have a Blur TR in the lineup when they have the Solo-- I am very confident that the Blur TR will not have a 2014 model year.

mtbr member
    E-speculation at its finest , here's my take.

I agree that the sale frames have been discontinued or upgraded. The tallboys were not the 142 version (think they went on sale because of the 142 changes) and now they are there because of the revised tallboy. The V10 was there cause they had the alum rear triangle, not the new carbon rear. The Nomad hasn't hit the sale since they got rid of their remaining non 142 frames early last fall.

While the SOLO does look like a good alternative to the TRC, the TRC is one of their last 26 inch bikes and is a crowd favorite. The only upgrade I think that frame will get (similar to the nomad) is the stealth post routing, which is a rolling change and probably wont prompt frames to hit the sale. Couple both these with the fact they just released the TRA round the beginning of this year = I don't think is going anywhere for a bit. Maybe the TRC will go on sale next year at the end of season if 650 sales dominate, that's my best guess.

For the OP, they do have the BLT A's for 9 bills on the frame sale. If your looking for a replacement soon and on sale, that is worth taking a good look at. Best of luck!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dansMTB View Post
    I agree that the sale frames have been discontinued or upgraded.
    Using 1 calendar year of history, this is untrue. As I said before, last year all the Blurs eventually hit the SC parking lot sale. So did the Highball. This was 2012 models. Those bikes all continued as 2013 models without any changes.

So far this year, yes, the sale has been discontinued models. But I am betting it will contain unsold 2013 inventory of all types very soon.

Also of note, when the Santa Cruz parking lot sale hits, Backcountry/Competitive Cyclist changes to the same price on any frames they have in stock of the same type. Blur XCs and LTs, Tallboys, they were available at CC for the same price but have almost entirely sold out. It's not a stretch of the imagination to think that Competitive Cyclist sees way more traffic than SC's VPLS. SC doesn't even advertise it, whereas CC will definitely blast out an email telling the world that they've got stuff on sale.

And CC has Blur TRs right now.

mtbr member

Re: Convince me not to buy a Blur TR frame when SC puts them in the sale.

Do not buy no stinky old 26er... You have not heard? It is dead!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    Do not buy no stinky old 26er... You have not heard? It is dead!
    I miss the smilie in your answer

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Convince me not to buy a Blur TR frame when SC puts them in the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Using 1 calendar year of history, this is untrue. As I said before, last year all the Blurs eventually hit the SC parking lot sale. So did the Highball. This was 2012 models. Those bikes all continued as 2013 models without any changes.

So far this year, yes, the sale has been discontinued models. But I am betting it will contain unsold 2013 inventory of all types very soon.

Also of note, when the Santa Cruz parking lot sale hits, Backcountry/Competitive Cyclist changes to the same price on any frames they have in stock of the same type. Blur XCs and LTs, Tallboys, they were available at CC for the same price but have almost entirely sold out. It's not a stretch of the imagination to think that Competitive Cyclist sees way more traffic than SC's VPLS. SC doesn't even advertise it, whereas CC will definitely blast out an email telling the world that they've got stuff on sale.

And CC has Blur TRs right now.
    I don't think that is true. The first time the blurs went on chainlove was because the new frames had the tapered headtube vs straight headtube. The second time the frames went on sale because they changed to the 142mm TA rear instead of 135mm rear.
    New frames this year has a hole in the seat tube for the stealth reverb but not sure if that is a big enough change for the old frames to be put on sale.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pwu_1 View Post
    I don't think that is true. The first time the blurs went on chainlove was because the new frames had the tapered headtube vs straight headtube. The second time the frames went on sale because they changed to the 142mm TA rear instead of 135mm rear.
    New frames this year has a hole in the seat tube for the stealth reverb but not sure if that is a big enough change for the old frames to be put on sale.
    I have a 2013 TRc and it doesn't have a hole in it. Did they add the hole for the 2013 model mid-production?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Convince me not to buy a Blur TR frame when SC puts them in the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by LowLow View Post
    I have a 2013 TRc and it doesn't have a hole in it. Did they add the hole for the 2013 model mid-production?
    The ones with the reverb stealth hole are just coming out now. I guess it could be considered a 2014 model? The color is the same as last/current year(matte carbon and white) but the decals look a bit different.
    If you look at the website it shows the reverb hole.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast