Thread: convince me

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

convince me

can you convince me to buy a Blur over a stumpjumper. I ride xc and I weigh about 210lbs I race a little, maybe 3-4 times a season. I just want to know the benefits.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    If you ever plan to lower your saddle from full extension to way low for the technical downhills, then you shouldn't get a stump-jumper.

Really, I dont get it. Why does specialized put bend seat tube on their bikes, especially on their all mountain and FR bikes (or even the stumpjumper for that matter).

Is like, how useful is it when you need the full extension to climb to the top, and then you are screaming down this freeride downhill with man made features where you need to drop the seat all the way low. But with the bended seat tube, all you can drop is like 3 inches.

That is the major reason why most any bike but specialized

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's good sometimes to think about the basics, the main differences between expensive mountain bikes today is the rear suspension system, they all come by with drawbacks and advantages (like the issue with the seatposts on the stumpjumpers these last years, and for Santa Cruz VPP the heavy maintenance required before they came up with the BLT2).
    You will find variations around those rear suspension systems, what set specialized or santa cruz apart is that they came up with their own systems that other brands tend to twick around with or license. For me I simply love the feeling of the VPP, especially with the new version found now on the BLT2 and coming forward on the Nomad. However I believe it is a very personal matter on how you like your bike to handle. My point is (and it is the universal point made on the mtbr forums) that you should try. The VPP is really worth a try, however I would not be able and should not convince you it is better, rent one or get your LBS to let you try one and you might like it better than a specialized. or not.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i bought a superlight cuz the 08 is a little stronger, and being over 200 lbs, no harm, it takes it all and then some. I always wanted a Santa Cruz because they would always pass me on the trail, so I thought there might have to be something to it. Bought one online without riding it, and it outhandles everything Ive ever ridden. It climbs amazing, and its better downhill than my previous bike which had up to 6" travel.

For me, I love the way they handle...like Raki said, if you can, go out and ride them both. My bike doesnt even have the VPP, and I couldnt care less, it eats up the climbs and carves the single track because of the geometry. When I get the cash, Ill be getting another Santa Cruz with more travel so I can trash some downhills, and keep this for xc.

Ride them both if you can, every company fits a little different. I cant stand some bikes, just because it doesnt feel right for me, even though I know theyre great bikes. But for everyone here, Santa Cruz was THE best choice.