I don't huck.
    Jun 2005

Coming from a Tracer to a Heckler?

Well, my 6 year old Intense Tracer is broken (seat mast) and will eventually be parts for someone else's Tracer.

I am poking around the net looking at options and I had a few questions for the Heckler/SC riders if that is OK. I ride the typical So Cal stuff, lots of fireroads, a fair amount of pavement to connect it all and bits of single track here and there. No real big hucks or drops, just the typical 1"+ stuff that is part of rough trails. Also, lots of long climbs and I value that 'sit and climb' response. I have been riding for more years than I can add up, so I have been around a while.

I want to move to 5" of travel cuz...well, why not? Seems like I can get that without paying too much of a penalty and at 6' 2" and nearly 200 lbs, I can use the cush.

Stage set I hope.

I have read a lot about single pivot bikes and I have always admired the Heckler. So simple and time proven. I don't know if this is very easy to answer (but I can't find a local dealer and I don't know anyone personally who rides one to try), but coming from the FSR Tracer, what kind of differences will I notice in the Hecklers design? I am hoping for a certain feel that I never got from the Tracer...hard to put into words. It climbed OK, but I really never felt groovy (now there is a word) when it got going in the rough, twisty stuff.

I know about the brake squat and I have heard that there are certain shocks that work better with the Heck to keep it from blowing through its travel. Is having a stock shock from the frame Pushed the answer to that?

Are there significant differences from year to year? Likely I will be shopping for a 05/06 bike, used, unless I can find a good deal on a frameset. Any tips or year models that are better than others, breakage issues, etc? The Heckler seems to be one of the few frames my research has never showed breakage issues with, but maybe I missed it.

Finally sizing. As I said, 6' 2", long legs, etc. I need at least a 24" TT and when I look at the sizing chart, I am in the blend between a LG and an XL. Not sure what to think of that.

Oh, one other thing. I have never weighed my Tracer, but it seems like the Hecklers build up kinda heavy, most at 30+. Now I know parts selection make a big difference, but still. I am built for solid XC with bigger tires, strong wheels and a pretty heavy Zoke fork and I bet I am under 28lbs. I guess part of that extra weight is getting to the 5" travel range. I sure would like to stay under 30#s.

I need to see if there is a shop that carries them semi-local to catch a ride. I hate to burn a bunch of shop time from someone with ton's of questions when I will likely not be buying new from them....kinda bothers my conscience, so the more I can figure out ahead of time the better I feel.

Thanks for any advice you have. Sorry if I have asked questions that are hard to answer.

Registered Dietitian
    Mine is one of the new Hecklers- 150mm travel, not 5". Just be aware.

It has the stock RP23, which I may send to Push eventually- but for now, it works great stock. I do prefer it with the ProPedal set to the "1" setting for less squatting on climbs, while my Blur LT needed no ProPedal for the same effect. This appears to have little to no effect on small bump absorption, as far as I can tell (though any ProPedal used on the BLT lessened small bump compliance).

Through-axle, coil=sprung, 150mm fork, big tires, big brake rotors- 30.5 lbs. Could easily be 27.5 if I cared. Frame weight with shock is virtually identical to BLT.

You probably need an XL. I'm 5'10", and I ride a large with a 100mm stem.

By the way, the bike is freaking awesome. handles like a champ.
    Registered Dietitian, Cycling Coach, Ascend Nutrition and Coaching

www.ascendthepeak.com

www.facebook.com/ascendthepeak

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tommyrod74
    Mine is one of the new Hecklers- 150mm travel, not 5". Just be aware.

It has the stock RP23, which I may send to Push eventually- but for now, it works great stock. I do prefer it with the ProPedal set to the "1" setting for less squatting on climbs, while my Blur LT needed no ProPedal for the same effect. This appears to have little to no effect on small bump absorption, as far as I can tell (though any ProPedal used on the BLT lessened small bump compliance).

Through-axle, coil=sprung, 150mm fork, big tires, big brake rotors- 30.5 lbs. Could easily be 27.5 if I cared. Frame weight with shock is virtually identical to BLT.

You probably need an XL. I'm 5'10", and I ride a large with a 100mm stem.

By the way, the bike is freaking awesome. handles like a champ.
    150MM...really? Am I mistaken with the 5" stuff? Or are the newer ones just getting longer? If so, when did they make the jump?

TJT
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The previous Heckler actually had 143mm travel. The new one has 150mm. These are 5.6" and 5.9" respectively.

Having said this, there are a wide variety of builds on the Heckler. Some people build it up with a longer fork (eg. Fox 36) and burlier bits so it comes out in the same league as the Nomad. Some people build it with more of an XC build (eg. Fox 32mm) and it comes out more like a Blur LT. I guess this is a good indication of the versatility of the frame.

never ender
    "Groovy" is a pretty good word for the Heckler. Compared to your Tracer, it's longer and slacker but probably not that much taller in the BB, which means it carves singletrack like nobody's business. The Heckler's geometry lends itself to a more upright riding position than you'd get on a pure XC bike, slacker angles and all that, but you can run a long stem and jack up your seatpost for a pretty XC feel if you want. As to sizing, you'll really have to test-ride a couple to figure things out. I'm 6'4" and I run a 40mm DH stem on my XL Heckler (older model). Most tall guys run longer stems on Hecklers, but I like the relaxed position, and I actually feel like it climbs better with the stubby stem than a longer one.The new ones are slightly shorter in the TT, and my guess is that you'd be okay on an L with a 90-110mm stem or an XL with something shorter than 80. You can build the Heckler plenty light for all-day epics, although with a L or XL frame you'll probably be slightly over 30lbs no matter what you do.

Members who have read this thread: 0