Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Is Colorado or Utah the Mecca?

1K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  happyriding 
#1 ·
Im an aussie road bike rider (180 miles per week), never MTB before.
But this friend of mine invited me to a 10 day mtb trip in Colorado/Utah next April.

So I accepted and didnt want to look like a spaz before I got there, so I ended up buying a tbltc. I only got it a few weeks ago, its awesome fun, I dont know why I never got into mtb before. Suspect it was the motorbike/enduro (and beers) that made it a bit tougher.

So, Im coming over in April. Will spend 4 weeks there.
I have heard that both Utah and Colorado are the mecca of mtb-ing.
I dont know, I have never been to that part of the states before.
Given my limited (so far) experience, where should I hang out, doing a few day trips.
Should I base myself in Utah or Colorado? (or somewhere else).
I will mostly be alone (but will hire a car). YES, Im bringing the tbltc with me.

Cheers

#2 ·
Basing yourself in Moab, UT should work well. April should be a good time of year there and you'd also be close to Fruita and Grand Junction, CO. Colorado's high alpine riding will most likely still be under snow. People say Southern Utah has some great riding and April should be a good time of year to hit Sedona, AZ too.

You might want to try posting in the UT or CO forums. Try and hook up with some locals.

#4 ·
Just make sure to check the planned events in Moab in April if I remember correctly the jeep jamboree is in April and that brings a ton of people to Moab, may want to plan on being in fruits or better yet head south west and hit up gooseberry Mesa and all the great trails there. Moab in April can still be a bit chilly in the morning and late evenings so prepare for the worst and even snow.

#5 ·
If I had (4) weeks in April, I'd make sure to hit Moab (UT), St George (UT) which has Gooseberry, Little Creek and the JEM Trail (google/youtube them) and Fruita (CO). Fruita has the fat Tire Festival the last week of April which is always a great time. I'll be there.

Sedona is also a great choice and if it wasn't for all teh snow that will surely be around, Park City would be a must do. I haven't been everywhere by any means but Park City may be the best place I've ever ridden but I'm partial to riding in the alpine forests on fast, flowy trails.

#6 ·
Tough call

I lived in that part of the country for several years.

In my opinion both states should share the role as a MTB mecca.

Both states have a lot to offer. One one trip I rode the Kokopelli trail system in Fruita CO and rode Slick Rock at Moab UT in the same day. I also loved Cheyenna Canyon in Colorado Springs, Rainbow trail in Salida CO, Gooseberry Messa in UT. The list goes on-and-on. Both states have prime riding destinations.

#9 ·
wrong "thread" for this question brah. I would start a new thread containing your question and/or the search function. :thumbsup:

#11 ·
White rim trail is awesome. It's double track jeep road so don't be expecting any singletrack, but the solitude and the views are amazing. It will take a good 3 days to cover the entire loop if you're going to do that, so you'll need a support vehicle to bring food, water and camping supplies along with you. You can arrange for a guided and supported tour if you don't have the vehicle to follow along. The Moab Jeep safari is the last week in March for 2013 so you shouldn't have to worry about huge crowds of jeeps. There are lots of day rides on awesome trails out of Moab if you have time or if you don't end up doing the entire White Rim trail.

Check out utahmountainbiking.com for some great trail advice...go to the "trails" section. It'll really make you drool.

Utah Mountain Bike Trail Index Page

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.