mtbr member
    May 2004

Coil o air shock in a Nomad?

I have an old Bullit with a 5th element that I sent to Avalanche, and I love it. Last year at the end of the season I built a Nomad with a Rocco STS air shock for more like a all mountain type of riding. But maybe I made the wrong choice of shock, the suspension feels a little dead if I compared with my 5th element on the Bullit. Do you ride air or coil shock in your Nomads?

In Armor We Trust
    I have a 1st gen Nomad, which came with the DHX 5.0 Air. I went in the other direction and replacing it with a Float CTD.
    DH/FR: Intense 951
    FG: KHS Flite 100

Slower But Faster
    Nomad C running DHX RC4. Ran a DHX Air in my Reign X before getting the Nomad and the coil wallows less in the mid-stroke (commonly noted attribute for that shock). My choice of air shock for the Nomad would be CCDB air if your wallet can stand that. Failing that, wait for some real world reports to come out on the new Float X.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have been running the CCDB air on mine and would say that it is as plush and about 3/4 pounds lighter than my old DHX 5.0 coil that I had on there. Picked it the DB for about $400 new, so pretty comparable. I also decided that adding the two smaller volume spacers hit the spot for leaving the damper more open for better feel but not using as much travel. Been perfect so far dont miss having any propedal/compression settings since the VPP seems to pedal well without it.

mtbr member

coil

IMHO heavier riders (200lbs and up) benefit from a coil shock on the Nomad.

I also replaced the stock linkage w/ the PUSH version.

Very active suspension now.

PUSH linkage for Nomad 2 and Butcher

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I recently switched from DHX Air to DHX RC4 on my NomadC (stock linkage). Only 200g+ more weight with 350x2.5 RCS ti spring. The biggest difference is that the rear is plusher and tracks ground better. When you press on seat, RC4 requires _much_ less force to get the suspension moving. And I think damping is better, it feels like it is a bit more in control. Would be nice to try Push Link, but I have a feeling that Nomad might be the next bike that Santa Cruz replaces.