mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Closeout Blur LTc or Heckler 275

Been on VPP (Intense 5.5) for 5 years now and am looking to upgrade. Had a large 2012 BLTc and just sold it cause it was too small. Should I go with an xl BLTc or give the new Heckler 275 a try. Will I miss VPP? Will I miss the carbon goodness (stiff and lightweight)? Cost is clearly a consideration or I'd be buying a carbon Bronson or Carbine.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I just built up a 2012 BLTc and absolutely love it, I really thought I wasn't going to like it this much but I do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The new Heckler has my vote! I've always ridden single pivot (V5 Heckler and just recently went to APP with my SC Nickel) and the simplicity is unmatched. With modern platform shocks, bob is approaching a non-issue and the new 650b size looks great. I would love to upgrade, but love my Nickel too much to shell out the coin for a new bike.

I cannot offer any insight to the C/A issue. Carbon has always been too rich for my blood :P

Good luck with your build!

mtbr member
    if it was me, carbon + VPP would be more important to me than slightly bigger wheels, considering the bigger wheels come with a heavier, aluminum frame and an old, single pivot design. Id go BLTc.

then again, i dunno what kind of trails you ride and your style of riding.

mtbr member
    I don't think just having 650b wheels outweigh the benefits of a lighter frame and VPP. Also, there's not a lot of choices for wheels and tires for 650b yet either.. I think give it another year and all the manufacturers will have many 650b options, instead of just 1 or 2. But until that point, unless you've got lots of money to drop on a wheelset and fork, the 26" Blur LTc makes more sense.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Re: Closeout Blur LTc or Heckler 275

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. My typical riding is New England trail riding. I went with the BLTc and will likely build it up 1x10 with a Float 36 shimmed to 150. I demod a carbine a couple of weeks ago and the 275 wheels are a noticeable improvement. I may mess around with a conversion but will likely just wait a couple of years then buy a purpose built 275.

Ride-on fellow MTBR'ers.

mtbr member
    Nice...you're going to love it. My advice is not to shim the 160 at first. Ride it and decide if the front end wanders too much on the climbs. The LTc has a 68 degree head tube angle, and with the 160 only takes it back to 67-67.5. Perfect for most riding unless you have some really steep technical climbs. Post pics when that bad boy is built!
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    ^^+1^^