mtbr member

Classic Blur, worth it?

Help motivate me to spend some money. My LBS has a new classic Blur frame left. He will put this years SPX package on it for a total cost of $2400. This includes the Fox 100RLT and the rp3. Its hanging on the wall with the 5th Element but they are going to swap that for me. This purchase may cost me some short term marital stress but nothing catastrophic. What do you think?

Village Dirtbag
    Seems like a good price. The classic is a good bike for its uses. It pedals and handles similar to the XC, but is more durable for the occasional jump or rough terrain.

mtbr member
    A very good deal; something like that would have previously been priced at $3000 and up. Go for it!

mtbr member
    I was thinking about the "Classic" for the durability factor. Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

if you don't mind the steep head angle...

that's whats keeping me from going for a similar deal. Don't forget that an equivalently spec'd Blur LT is only a little bit more money (around $2900), and its the latest, greatest, and you are only going to buy 1 bike, so get what you want, not whats the best deal...

Redwood Dancer

More or less than you need?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogface
    Help motivate me to spend some money. My LBS has a new classic Blur frame left. He will put this years SPX package on it for a total cost of $2400. This includes the Fox 100RLT and the rp3. Its hanging on the wall with the 5th Element but they are going to swap that for me. This purchase may cost me some short term marital stress but nothing catastrophic. What do you think?
    A few good questions might be: What kind or riding do you do and how long do you typically keep a bike? Assuming this a standard Blur, not a 4x or LT, I'd point out that this is no freeride bike, but certainly it is great for agressive singletrack riding with some moderate jumps and ledges thrown in. A friend has a Blur and I haven't tried it in rock gardens, but do have a Fox 130 mm Talas and it has a little trouble at speed plowing through big loose rocks.

While the price is good it's better to get what you need and ignor the 'drool factor'. Ask yourself: Is the bike more or less than I need. Also, leave some healthy room for expansion of your abilities. Be sure you get right size frame... you can change everything else but that!

Once you walk out the door with a new bike the resale value goes way, way down... just like driving off a new car lot. Maybe even more so. Get a bike you can live with for a long time and expand your skills with.

mtbr member
    I ride single track. No racing. The trails here are rough in some areas but no jumping or freeride for me. Large should be the size for me. One of the wrenches has a large he his going to let me use to test fit and evaluate how the geometry works for me. I have a Sugar now;it bobs too much to say its efficient and is too stiff to be plush.

Johnny_Automatic
    With your trail riding prefernces, the only way you can really go wrong is buying the wrong size. Check the SC site for a rule of thumb size chart. Motivated LBS trying to clear stock may not always keep your best interest at heart. There varying preferences for frame fit as well. Some prefer smaller over lager and vice versa. Fortunately my LBS has a few paved hills behind the shop so I could test ride on an uphill climb and hit a few curbs prior to buying.

I recently switched from a Blur Classic to a Blur LT on the crash replacement program. I am Clydesdale and wanted a little more "piece of mind". I ride a variety of trails in Nor Cal all year round. The Classic withstood a number of smaller jumps, drops, ladders etc. The weight difference is 3/4 lbs + fork difference.

I have done a 4 rides on the new LT. It does ride differently. I am enjoying the shorter top tube and increased agility. With increased agility I am more aggressive on the single track. The new frame geometry has me back to more technical trails.

Enjoy.

Redwood Dancer

Fox DHX shock for sugar...

I ride single track. No racing. The trails here are rough in some areas but no jumping or freeride for me. Large should be the size for me. One of the wrenches has a large he his going to let me use to test fit and evaluate how the geometry works for me. I have a Sugar now;it bobs too much to say its efficient and is too stiff to be plush.
    You've probably got your heart set on the Blur but here's an idea. If uphill bobbing is a big problem on the Sugar but you like it otherwise, why not invest in a Stable Platform shock. The big three manufactures all have different versions and I hear they all work between good and great. I like Fox DHX the best just because of the quality plus they last forever.

You don't know what Stable Platform (Pro Pedal is Fox's version) is? In a nutshell it feels like your climbing a ridgid bike until you hit an obstacle like a root. The susp kicks in and gets you over the rough stuff then settles back down to stable platform (read hardtail). Sounds like voodoo and I was extremely skeptical of the marketing hype when I first heard the claims. However... I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO NON PRO-PEDAL OR SPV. I simply love the heck out of it and want to have it's babies.

That said, I don't know what your issues are on the Sugar in regards to shock eyelet to eyelet or whether it will fit in the space available. But possibly, for between 200 and 400 bucks you could have a rapid nimble little climber. Just a thot...
    RAIL OR F*!%#!*^G BAIL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whangen
    That said, I don't know what your issues are on the Sugar in regards to shock eyelet to eyelet or whether it will fit in the space available. But possibly, for between 200 and 400 bucks you could have a rapid nimble little climber. Just a thot...
    I could get the shock PUSHed for $150 which will add a Propedal feature and increase performance. The lbs originally said they would put a rp3 on the new bike but now they are saying they have to leave the 5th Element on. Their suggestion is to sell the Progressive on Ebay and buy a rp3 at cost from them. This plan is more hassle and cash from me. I may be holding off on the Blur if they can't do better on the shock. I will buy it if it is a steal; when you add these additional costs in I can order a new XC or LT Anno with the rp3 for almost the same cost. Any thoughts on the 5th element?

Redwood Dancer

How's the BLT compare with Nomad?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Automatic
    With your trail riding prefernces, the only way you can really go wrong is buying the wrong size. Check the SC site for a rule of thumb size chart. Motivated LBS trying to clear stock may not always keep your best interest at heart. There varying preferences for frame fit as well. Some prefer smaller over lager and vice versa. Fortunately my LBS has a few paved hills behind the shop so I could test ride on an uphill climb and hit a few curbs prior to buying.

I recently switched from a Blur Classic to a Blur LT on the crash replacement program. I am Clydesdale and wanted a little more "piece of mind". I ride a variety of trails in Nor Cal all year round. The Classic withstood a number of smaller jumps, drops, ladders etc. The weight difference is 3/4 lbs + fork difference.

I have done a 4 rides on the new LT. It does ride differently. I am enjoying the shorter top tube and increased agility. With increased agility I am more aggressive on the single track. The new frame geometry has me back to more technical trails.

Enjoy.
    I heard that SC made the head angle slacker (similar to Nomad) therefore upped the wheelbase to balance out the longer rear travel. Don't know if they lengthened the chainstays but that's super important too. Hence the popularity of all the 'swayback seatposts' you see around these days. In detail, how's the bike handle uphill over roots and on fast descents? Is it a mini-Nomad like some are saying?

I haven't had a chance to test one yet. FLAT PARKING LOTS ARE THE WORSE POSSIBLE PLACE TO TEST A BIKE!!! Santa Cruz Bicycles really needs to promote a better 'test ride program' and do it FAST or they're going to piss off a lot people who buy their bikes and get the wrong size, parts etc.
    RAIL OR F*!%#!*^G BAIL

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

5th Element

I could get the shock PUSHed for $150 which will add a Propedal feature and increase performance. The lbs originally said they would put a rp3 on the new bike but now they are saying they have to leave the 5th Element on. Their suggestion is to sell the Progressive on Ebay and buy a rp3 at cost from them. This plan is more hassle and cash from me. I may be holding off on the Blur if they can't do better on the shock. I will buy it if it is a steal; when you add these additional costs in I can order a new XC or LT Anno with the rp3 for almost the same cost. Any thoughts on the 5th element?
    When I bought my Blur it was used and the 5th Element was leaking as well. I was going to replace after researching and seeing so many complaints. Gave a call to Progressive and was very up front with them about my concerns. Didn't want to waste money on a shock rebuild if it was inherently flawed. The service guy convinced me to send it in and they would rebuild to current spec. They were aware of the complaints and knew exactly what was causing some of the field fails (actually a very small percentage). Bottom line they charged me only $50 and returned the shock within 10 days. I have been riding on it for over a year now, fairly agressive XC and I would have to say the shock is fantastic. I haven't even had to put any air in it since originally setting it up. (setup does take some time and attention but when it gets dialed in.. it stays) It sticks on climbs with zero bob and on the descents it gives a truely bottomless plush feel. Out of the saddle hammering the rear end just sticks - no bob. The only time I detect any bob is on fast, flat fire road when I'm in a high gear and high cadence. And how many times are you doing that on a mountain bike?

Anyway that is my experience on the 5th. I did own an RP3 - mounted on a Stumpjumper and thought it a very good shock as well. Don't really know how it might perform on the Blur

mtbr member
    I took it with the RP3 on it. I love the way it rides. I don't think this bike really needs a platform shock. It seems so tight yet so plush. Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member

Classic Blur

Congratulations on your chioce. I love my Classic blur. Any pics of yours yet?