mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Classic Blur rear shock

RP3 push? or 5th Element? I just got a Classic Blur frame (2003) with a leaking 5th element shock. Which works the best with vpp? And where can I buy a 5th element shock on line if it's better?

Johnny_Automatic
    Purchased my Blur 3 years ago (when there was only one model) and have only run the 5th Element. The first two failed on their maiden voyages. LBS exchanged both. Since then, I have had only positive experiences with shock. For a Classic Blur, the 5th is lightweight, adjustable and has taken pounding without recurring issues.
    J

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have 2.5 years on the original 5th element on my Blur. I run only 25-30 psi in the IFP pressure though because it seems to lose small bump sensitivity with higher pressures. The VPP design does not need much in the way of stable platform from the shock.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

I use RP3

I agree that the VPP does not need much stabile platform. I have tried the stabile platform setting on the RP3 and it makes the suspension too hard for my likeing. I keep it in the plush setting and like it fine.
    Kindacreeky,
    Tennessee Singletrac Sculpter

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Get Progressive to rebuilt it.

When I bought my Blur it was used and the 5th Element was leaking as well. I was going to replace after researching and seeing so many complaints. Gave a call to Progressive and was very up front with them about my concerns. Didn't want to waste money on a shock rebuild if it was inherently flawed. The service guy convinced me to send it in and they would rebuild to current spec. They were aware of the complaints and knew exactly what was causing some of the field fails (actually a very small percentage). Bottom line they charged me only $50 and returned the shock within 10 days. I have been riding on it for over a year now, fairly agressive XC and I would have to say the shock is fantastic. I haven't even had to put any air in it since originally setting it up. (setup does take some time and attention but when it gets dialed in.. it stays) It sticks on climbs with zero bob and on the descents it gives a truely bottomless plush feel. Out of the saddle hammering the rear end just sticks - no bob. The only time I detect any bob is on fast, flat fire road when I'm in a high gear and high cadence. And how many times are you doing that on a mountain bike?

Anyway that is my experience on the 5th. I did own an RP3 - mounted on a Stumpjumper and thought it a very good shock as well. Don't really know how it might perform on the Blur.