mtbr member

Cheapest Heckler build kit...

I'm looking to get a Heckler this year, probably not for a few months. I know Hecklers are considered relatively cheap compared to the rest of SCs lineup and other brands, but I'm still going to be looking to save all the cash I can--I'm a student. I'd rather not buy used as I'd like to continue to support my LBS. (Been great with servicing my current bike and advice on various things- free lifetime tuneups aint bad either.)
    I'm looking at getting the Heckler with the D AM kit, fox float r and a rock shox tora 302 coil fork. Anybody have this setup? At $1600 for the complete bike, it really sounds awesome. The component spec is already much better than my current bike (an old '99 GT aggresor hardtail with mostly deore components) and I'm not a weight weenie so I really can't justify much of the stuff that comes in the higher end kits. I'm really just concerned about the suspension. I know it will be a big step up from my current bike (pretty much useless judy tt) but I'm wondering if a better fork/shock combo would be worth it. I can't find any user experiences with the tora because it's new.
    Oh quick question about the float r also--will I be taking advantage of the frame's full travel with that shock? All those rear shock travel measurements have me confused. (X.XX" x X.XX)
    So any comments?
    Any owners with a similar setup?

mtbr member
    DO IT!

its what i did when i bought my 03 heckler. the cheapest build they had back then was the Freeride R Kit. 125 RLC, 5th coil rear (2.00 stroke), avid ball bearing disk brakes, some nice and heavy freeride components. that build was $2499 i think. the current D AM kit is a lot less. but the freeride R did have some nice components. i don't know much about that current build for $1600, but it looks like a good value. you really won't be able to build up that bike for less unless you really take some time to find stuff on clearance and used. just upgrade things as you wear things out or break things. for my personal preference i'd upgrade the headset from the beginning and put in a chris king, thats just me though.

if you have some cash, go to your LBS and put in the order. it'll take a couple to a few months to get the bike in anyways. i waited about 2 months.

i think the float r is a 2.00 stroke. you need a 2.25" stroke to get the 5.6" or whatever of travel. my 5th coil was a 2.00" and i upgraded to the DHX coil 2.25. felt better but i can't really feel that extra .6".
    Last edited by jr711; 02-04-2006 at 07:19 PM. Reason: forgot about shock

mtbr member
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah, I figure I can always upgrade the float r if I really dislike it, but I'm no clyde anyway, so I'm sure it'll be fine- and a balanced match to the 130mm travel of the tora. Somewhere along the line maybe I'll upgrade to a pike and dhx air, but to order those with the bike would cost almost an extra grand! That $1600 package is really a sweet deal.
    Here's the components included, if anyone was curious:
    REAR DER Shimano M751 SGS (XT)
    FRONT DER Shimano M580 (LX)
    SHIFTERS Shimano M511 (Deore)
    CRANKSET Shimano M530 22/32/44 (Deore)
    BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano ES30 (Deore)
    CASSETTE Shimano HG 50, 11-34 (Deore)
    CHAIN Shimano HG 53 (LX)
    BRAKES Shimano M535 w/ 180mm front & 160mm rear rotors (Deore)
    BRAKE LEVERS Shimano M535
    BARS TruVativ XR riserbar
    STEM TruVativ XR 3D, 31.8mm
    GRIPS Lizard Skin Logo
    HEADSET Dia Compe HS0218
    SEAT POST TruVativ XR double clamp
    SADDLE WTB Pure V Comp
    WHEELS Mavic XM 317 disc rims laced to Shimano M535 hubs (Deore) w/ DT 15 guage spokes, brass nipples
    TIRES Kenda Nevegal 2.35 wire
    TUBES Kenda Freeride

Anyone have the deore hydros? They get good reviews here on MTBR.

And yes I think it would be impossible to build up a Heckler for less--hell, I was looking into building a Chameleon to save a bit of cash but really couldn't get it too much below $1600! They don't offer any complete specials on the Chameleon right now, so ordering it with the same parts kit and the tora would still cost $1430. I definitely think the Heckler is worth the extra $170. (Although it'd be nice to have a Chameleon in the garage as well as a SS.)

mtbr member
    i've upgraded my heckler over the last 2 years. and i'm really bad at selling things. so i have a lot of left over parts just sitting around. i almost have enough for another bike. so i'm planning on putting my spare parts into a chameleon(or similar frame). i'd like to look for a used one if possible but people still want $300+ for a used one or people are just selling complete bikes. and theres not many i see in the classifieds or on ebay. so i'll probably order a new one closer to summer.

i too bought mine when i was a student

i'm kinda bummed they don't offer apple green, rootbeer, or trans gold anymore...i wanted a chameleon in one of those colors....maybe the chrome black now

Warrior's Society
    Save some more money and upgrade the RS Tora fork. Buy something used if you have to. Tora is not a great fork, and will not compliment the Heckler at all. The Fox Float rear is fine. IF you don't like it, at a later date you can send it to PUSH and have them work on it.

mtnbikej

Quote Originally Posted by hiccup
    Thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah, I figure I can always upgrade the float r if I really dislike it, but I'm no clyde anyway, so I'm sure it'll be fine- and a balanced match to the 130mm travel of the tora. Somewhere along the line maybe I'll upgrade to a pike and dhx air, but to order those with the bike would cost almost an extra grand! That $1600 package is really a sweet deal.
    Here's the components included, if anyone was curious:
    REAR DER Shimano M751 SGS (XT)
    FRONT DER Shimano M580 (LX)
    SHIFTERS Shimano M511 (Deore)
    CRANKSET Shimano M530 22/32/44 (Deore)
    BOTTOM BRACKET Shimano ES30 (Deore)
    CASSETTE Shimano HG 50, 11-34 (Deore)
    CHAIN Shimano HG 53 (LX)
    BRAKES Shimano M535 w/ 180mm front & 160mm rear rotors (Deore)
    BRAKE LEVERS Shimano M535
    BARS TruVativ XR riserbar
    STEM TruVativ XR 3D, 31.8mm
    GRIPS Lizard Skin Logo
    HEADSET Dia Compe HS0218
    SEAT POST TruVativ XR double clamp
    SADDLE WTB Pure V Comp
    WHEELS Mavic XM 317 disc rims laced to Shimano M535 hubs (Deore) w/ DT 15 guage spokes, brass nipples
    TIRES Kenda Nevegal 2.35 wire
    TUBES Kenda Freeride

Anyone have the deore hydros? They get good reviews here on MTBR.

And yes I think it would be impossible to build up a Heckler for less--hell, I was looking into building a Chameleon to save a bit of cash but really couldn't get it too much below $1600! They don't offer any complete specials on the Chameleon right now, so ordering it with the same parts kit and the tora would still cost $1430. I definitely think the Heckler is worth the extra $170. (Although it'd be nice to have a Chameleon in the garage as well as a SS.)

mtbr member
    Have you ridden the tora? What makes it worse than say, a Pike? I need to ask my bike shop if they'd sell the $1600 complete bike for a bit less without the tora. If I have to order a Heckler with a different fork, the cost would be too high--I'd be better off buying the cheap deal, selling the tora, (or slapping it on my current bike, if it doesn't slacken the HA too much...) and getting something used. What's a good, economical match for the Heckler if I go that route? And how much can I expect to pay for it used? Thanks for all the advice guys!
    Last edited by hiccup; 02-05-2006 at 04:47 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    A good economical swap would be a Pike which can be had on eBay in the 350-375 range or a Minute for 200-250.

USB Rep'n
    Quote Originally Posted by jr711
    i've upgraded my heckler over the last 2 years. and i'm really bad at selling things. so i have a lot of left over parts just sitting around. i almost have enough for another bike. so i'm planning on putting my spare parts into a chameleon(or similar frame). i'd like to look for a used one if possible but people still want $300+ for a used one or people are just selling complete bikes. and theres not many i see in the classifieds or on ebay. so i'll probably order a new one closer to summer.

i too bought mine when i was a student

i'm kinda bummed they don't offer apple green, rootbeer, or trans gold anymore...i wanted a chameleon in one of those colors....maybe the chrome black now
    check yer pm's.......
    though hope is frail, it must prevail - Taj Weekes

betam eh-wud-eh-HA-lehu y
    eh-nay Ityopia!