mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Chameleon setup question

I know the chameleon can work with a fork from 100-160 but has anyone tried putting a 29 wheel on the front and making a 69er platform? Im sure a 29 wheel wont fit in the back. Im thinking about making my chameleon a 69er but i dont know how it would affect the geometry or what size fork to use to try and keep the geometry similar to a 26.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    no ideas anyone?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I am certainly no expert (I just ordered my Chameleon myself ), however it seems as if you stay within the 100-160 mm shock range things should be okay. Meaning that you might not have the best geometry with the 29 inch wheel with a 160 mm fork but okay with a 100 or 140. The Chameleon seems pretty adjustable to any situation.

190lbs of climber
    I tried this with a Pace carbon 29er fork. The 450ish A-to-C combined with the 29er wheel rakes out the front too much for my taste, and results in a terrible push through corners. I swapped the carbon rigid fork for a Dimension steel rigid fork, 410 A-to-C and just enough clearance for a stan's crow or similar tire (about 5mm to spare?). It added 300ish grams to the bike, but the geometry is spot on at around a 71* HA.
    THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hmmm ok.ya i was going to try and plug all the numbers and try to keep the head angle the same. i know with gary fishers they have a 51mm offset on the fork thats supposed to keep the handling tight