Bike to the Bone...

Chameleon fork: Vainilla R vs All Mountain 3...

Hi, I'm deciding on a fork for the Chameleon... Which would be better: Fox Vainilla R vs Marzocchi All Mountain 3? I think both are 130mm, good forks....

Warrior's Society
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Hi, I'm deciding on a fork for the Chameleon... Which would be better: Fox Vainilla R vs Marzocchi All Mountain 3? I think both are 130mm, good forks....
    Depends on what you are looking for. Weight is probably the biggest difference.

My Vanilla RLC weighs in at 4.10 lbs before I cut the steerer. Marzocchi claims that the AM3 weighs in 5 lbs. Fox claims 3.92 lbs for the Vanilla R. So you are looking at 1 lb difference.

I recently upgraded my '01 Z1 MCR to a Fox Vanilla RLC and so far the Fox is definately stiffer than the old MCR that I had.

mtnbikej

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Smile

I run the Van RLC on mine and it is super stiff for its size and weight. It is also buttery smooth. Can't comment on the Marzzochi but I hear good things. I am really happy with the set up of my Chameleon and feel it would ride big stuff well ( haven't tried yet as it had Crossmax SL's on till recently! )

29 some of the time...
    Vanilla R is a far better fork. Lighter and better damping. The SSV damping in the AM3 sucks. Okay for dropping off of stuff, but packs up bad under actual trail riding.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by dscot420
    Vanilla R is a far better fork. Lighter and better damping. The SSV damping in the AM3 sucks. Okay for dropping off of stuff, but packs up bad under actual trail riding.
    I think I'm going for a Vainilla R.... I was also looking at a Pike or Revelation, but I think I will get the Fox.... My Talas has worked flawlessly, so I think I'll stick with Fox..