mtbr member
    Dec 2005

chameleon with 4-inch fork?

chameleon owners. is putting a 4-inch fork (e.g. REBA) on the chameleon wasting its freeride abilities? Should I use a 5-inch fork to maximize the frame's versatility? Im not into dirt jumping syndicate style, just a little freeriding and lotsa aggresive xc trails. Is a 4-inch front enough for some little jumps and minor drops? thanks in advance!

Got A Lust for Life...
    Seems like a pike would be more your style. Or...perhaps an all mountain sl that is 110 or 130.
    I am immune to your disdain.

Photog Cyclist.

4 in fork rocks

When I got my Chameleon I put a Talas on it and for the first few months I played with the travel. It really didn't like it to much with the 130mm travel, too much like a chopper and slow turning in the tight single track. At 85mm very fast handling, but not twitchy, great on steep climbs, but not to good in the rough stuff. 100mm was a great balance of climbing, handling, and soaking up the rough stuff. I have since taken off the Talas and put on a Marzocchi SL with 100mm travel and loe it. The Marzocchi is about a pound lighter. The bike weighs 24pounds in it's usual cross country trim!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I was running a minute 1 with 100-130mm adjustable travel on my 05 chameleon.

Id slam it down to 4" for climbing, but always opened it up to 5" for descending.

I think the chameleon handles like a dream with 5". for freeriding or agressive trail riding a hardtail can beat the crap out of you but if run a longer travel fork with a bit more sag it hooks up in corners like the chameleon is so good but it doesnt feel like a truck ran over you after 10 minutes of the roots and rocks.

I would go with the adjustable travel forks, possibly even a Fox 36 talas that would be the sweet spot.

the pike would be nice aswell.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Cool-blue Rhythm Pike

Just go for the Pike Dual Air. It doesn't get much better than that. Low weight and loads of travel.

Bertman

fried stuff with cheese
    I'm running a Pike dual air on my 05. Seems like a good fit for what I use the bike for.
    If I could do over I might get the new U-turn version so I could lower the travel for climbing.
    I think you would be ok with a 100mm fork but keep in mind the frame is designed to handle (I think) up to 150mm travel. The handling my get really twitchy at the ride height of a Reba once set in it's sag.
    Egg

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I ride mine with a Pike and almost always keep the travel at 120mm. I think over 130mm makes it feel choppered out, but I do ride it at 95mm for fast-XC with lots of climbing...IMO- 120mm is about perfect for the lizard. Just my .02

singletrack bound

Fox RLC 100 MM

[size="3"][/size]runnin A 100 MM On My Chameleon SS And It Is Sweet!
    21.5 Lbs

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Thanks!

Hey guys, thanks for all the info on the fork height for the chameleon. All your inputs are appreciated and truly helpful. I guess I'll be studying the PIKE a lot more. One of the factors I also consider is the cost of these forks. Fox tends to be on the higher end of things.

29 some of the time...
    I have owned 4 chameleons since they came onto the market. Great frames that have never let me down. I have run many different forks over the years, but IMO the chameleon handles best with about a 500mm A-C fork. I bring up A-C because fork travel is not directly proportional to the axle to crown measure. With Marzocchi this would be a 4" fork. Fox shox step in an 503mm for their 5" forks. And RockShox is in the middle, biased depending on model either towards FR or XC.

That said, I would really recommend checking out the rockshox offerings. Pike is a great match for a chameleon 95-140mm you decide what feels good and rip it. I just picked up a revelation with air u-turn. It is 100-130mm and a bit more xc weighing in at just a hair under 4lb. The air u-turn feels great and has plenty of tuning. Another positive for RS is that they are coming to market with all the high end features at $200-400 less than the competitors offerings.