mtbr member

chain tensioner for heckler

I have been recently thinking about getting a chain tensioner for my heckler. I have been doing a little bit of downhill trail and will probably go to north star before the season is over. I only lost the chain once since I bought my bike, so it has not been a big problem. What do you guys suggest and if I do get one what brand? I want to run dual ring so I can still do XC rides. Input please!!!!
    [SIZE="6"]Abracadabra homes![/SIZE]

mtbr member
    picture of current set up
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    BB mount Blackspire Stinger, around $20 dollars and works great.

mtbr member
    The stinger sounds like the way to go......I was just about to order one. The only thing is that I heard people sometime have problems mounting them with certain cranks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have a stinger on my new heckler with a set of stylo cranks. Not sure if I am going t keep it on. I hate throwing chains, but it squeeks and does not seem to line up right. It rides just on the edge of the ramped roller. This is the third Stinger I have had on bikes. I had one bb mount on my kona (internal bb), one tabbed on my bottle rocket and this latest bb moutt with external bb. So far this is the only one I have really had trouble with. Still playing around with it, but something to think about.

mtbr member
    More expensive, but I run an e13 drs on my Heckler. Works great..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravitythief76
    I have a stinger on my new heckler with a set of stylo cranks. Not sure if I am going t keep it on. I hate throwing chains, but it squeeks and does not seem to line up right. It rides just on the edge of the ramped roller. This is the third Stinger I have had on bikes. I had one bb mount on my kona (internal bb), one tabbed on my bottle rocket and this latest bb moutt with external bb. So far this is the only one I have really had trouble with. Still playing around with it, but something to think about.
    I have read that the stlo cranks with the external BB rubs the plate of the stinger and it does not ride right. I guess the spacing is not quite right with the external BB on the stylo. I was wondering if I would have the same problem with the race face cranks since the also have the external BB.

mtbr member
    the e13 DRS is deffinatley an option and all I have heard is good things about it. The cost is deffinately higher but probably worth it if the stinger does not work right with my BB. The old adage "you get what you pay for".

KEEP ROLLING
    stinger !! cheap and strong

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I would love some feedback from anyone currently riding a heckler with Stylo Cranks and a chain tensioner. e13, LRP, or Blackspire. I am thinking of going the e13 route, but dont want to shell out the cash for the same issues I've been having with the Stinger.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    e13 drs also on my Heckler, worth the extra money works great, just had two weeks thrashing around the Alps no problems with chain :-)

CAN YOU DIG IT??!!??!!!??
    Not on a Heckler, but I've ran an e.13 DRS on a Bullit, VP Free and a Nomad. After gettin' burnt out w/the high price of replacing rollers, (which work very well and are very quiet), I decided to look for an alternative. I settled on the Stinger and I like it so far. Been runnin' it for about a month. It's a bit louder than the e.13 DRS roller, but works great and I can buy a whole Stinger for the price of an e.13 roller. The e.13 is just too cost prohibitive for me at this point, especially when the Stinger works so well at its price. I've always ran these tensioners w/bb mount.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've got a previous gen heckler, shimano hone cranks and run the blackspire stinger, proved to be very solid and reliable so far. Only time I've had the chain come off so far is coming up short on the odd large jump, but a new chain seemed to cure that one! guess it was a bit worn.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    The problem with the Stinger and Stylo cranks is that the stinger is designed to replace the drive-side spacer that is used with 73mm external bb cups....but the Stylo does not use them, so you are putting extra tweak in the chainline.

mtbr member
    Well I installed the stinger and it works great after, I did some adjusting. I removed one spacer as instructed for 68mm BB. But I guess I tightened the crank arm to tight because I got a slight rub against the small chain ring screw. So I backed it off a quarter of a turn and it works great now, hopefully the crank arm does not come flying off.......Northstar here I come!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images