Page 1 of 83 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 2066
  1. #1
    www.AuburnBikeCompany.com
    Reputation: curtykills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    86

    Carbon Nomad Gallery

    2011 Nomad Carbon finally finished after waiting 3 weeks for the fork. 28.4lbs

    lrg w/ dhxair
    talas36 RLCFIT
    king devo tapered
    crossmax sx
    weirwolf 2.3tcs
    xx shifters/rder/1090r/11/36cass
    xtr topswingdual fder
    rface sixc carbon 24/36 crankset
    gravitydropperturbo
    purevteam
    rface nextsl
    thomson xr90
    elixir cr 203/185

    yes it works perfect w/out xx crank/fder

    more to come..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon Nomad Gallery-nomadc4.jpg  

    Carbon Nomad Gallery-nomadc3.jpg  

    Carbon Nomad Gallery-nomadc2.jpg  

    Carbon Nomad Gallery-nomadc1.jpg  


  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    67
    You bastard!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    57
    Perfection!

  4. #4
    Ride Good or Eat Wood
    Reputation: Red PeeKay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    606
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsthubbins
    You bastard!
    What he said ^^ but 2x!
    "Though my life is changing fast,
    My roots are planted in the past,
    Who I am, is who I want to be
    "

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,594
    Little update - my NomadC has arrived at the shop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I should have it Friday
    Update #2 - Have it in my hands now...
    Cool cranks. I want the handlebars they make (SixC) - very wide for their weight.
    Last edited by gticlay; 07-23-2010 at 02:52 PM.
    "It looks flexy"

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    43
    What no Carbon Easton Haven Wheels? you cheap bastard!

    So jealous!

  7. #7
    www.AuburnBikeCompany.com
    Reputation: curtykills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    86
    Sorry, I am building 2 more this coming week so i will keep the pics flowing..
    maybe this gallery will last!

    yea easton haven wheels almost here..along with the groupo...will match this new
    xtr well.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: biketavioumaximus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by aphis
    Perfection!
    Not quite, those cable need tidying up, otherwise I'm going to kick a puppy or punch a kitten!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Fly Rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    162
    Large frame with DHX RC4 w/ Renton ti spring
    Totem Coil
    Chris King headset
    DT 240s with star ratchet upgrade, DT Alpine triple butted spokes, WTB Laser Disc FR rims
    Hammerschmidt AM cranks, set up 24t-38overdrive.
    XO shifters
    X9 rear der
    XT cassette w/ XTR chain
    Formula One brakes
    Gravity Lite Stem and carbon bars
    Joplin 4 seatpost
    Flite saddle
    Maxxis Minion DHF 2.5 tubeless front tire, and High Roller 2.35 rear
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon Nomad Gallery-nomad.jpg  


  10. #10
    Zombie Uprising
    Reputation: tp806's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    643
    Quote Originally Posted by curtykills
    2011 Nomad Carbon finally finished after waiting 3 weeks for the fork. 28.4lbs

    lrg w/ dhxair
    talas36 RLCFIT
    king devo tapered
    crossmax sx
    weirwolf 2.3tcs
    xx shifters/rder/1090r/11/36cass
    xtr topswingdual fder
    rface sixc carbon 24/36 crankset
    gravitydropperturbo
    purevteam
    rface nextsl
    thomson xr90
    elixir cr 203/185

    yes it works perfect w/out xx crank/fder

    more to come..
    Damn nice bike dude!
    By the way, how is the stiction on this new '11 36 TALAS? Tolerances are tight?
    Thinking of replacing my '07 Marz 66 with this one, will it be on par?

    Damn nice bike, did I say this already?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,594
    What grips are those?
    "It looks flexy"

  12. #12
    www.AuburnBikeCompany.com
    Reputation: curtykills's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    86
    The Grips are the Portland Design w/ alloy pressure point. The forks felt smooth but you can tell its not broken in at all..dampning was good but not worn in yet. lockout and new talas was nice..ideal for this bike's setup!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4

    Smile Nice

    Found this one:







    More pics (SC owner gallery): http://www.gocycle.de/

    Ride on,

    neskaffee

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    151
    neskafee, nice pics! trail looks fun as well. is that a blackspire stinger on a stylo crank? if so, how much mod (if any) did it take to mount that on. my chainring bolts rubs against the stinger despite shaving down the stinger bolts. seems to be a problme with the Stylo cranks.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    43
    FLY RIDER whats the weight of your build?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: tboned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    156
    One of the best lookin' nomads I've seen.

    Is that a 180mm fox fork?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,594
    Looks like a 180 in one of these photos: http://shop.shiftycart.de/f.php/shop..._Nomad_Carbon/
    "It looks flexy"

  18. #18
    fan of maple syrup
    Reputation: nuclear_powered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,598
    I'm not a fan of Fox suspension, but the decals on those new 36's combined with black paint and the gold on the stanchions - wow. First NomadC in this thread FTW (curtykills). Love the SixC stuff - would be putting it on my Nomad2 if I could afford it - but for now will settle for my AtlasAM.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,594
    Why are people putting narrow carbon on their Nomads? I can't imagine anything more narrow than 711mm... most people around here are running 30"+ low pro bars like the Race Face Atlas at almost 31"!!!. I want to try the SIXC bars on my bike - 28.5" (725mm) and only 220g? That's SIC...X.... er something.
    "It looks flexy"

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    69
    Still a few changes to make, but thought I'd post anyways to provide an example of an XL carbon nomad.

    The thing rides amazingly well. I'm a DHer at heart, and wanted something that could handle going down as well as going up. I have a longer stem as well for those long days in the saddle, but right now I'm running the shorty Thomson because I've been riding trails that are up then down as opposed to rolling. Anyways, the bike pedals well, descends well, and is generally a total blast. As nearly everyone says, the nomad is an exceptional do it all kinda bike.

    Build: some of this stuff was new, some I had lying around, and some I got from a buddy. All in all, it worked out pretty well, as I spent less than I would have with a full build from Santa Cruz but got what I wanted.

    XL nomad C
    Fox DHX Air on loan, RP23 to come
    Fox Talas 36 1.5 from '09, in white!
    Thomson stem
    Acros headset
    RF Atlas bars, cut to just over 30"
    ODI ruffians
    Juicy 7s with 8" rotors, but going to put smaller ones on once I get them
    X9 shifters
    X9 rear derailleur
    XT front derailleur
    Chris King BB
    Hone cranks 22/36 w/ bash
    1750 wheels
    Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4 freeride casing - soon to go tubeless
    XTR cassette
    SRAM chain
    CB Mallets
    WTB seat
    KS post - arguably the best part of the bike... If you haven't tried one (or something like it) you should.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon Nomad Gallery-0.jpg  

    Carbon Nomad Gallery-nomad-2.jpg  

    Carbon Nomad Gallery-nomad-3.jpg  

    Carbon Nomad Gallery-nomad-4.jpg  

    Carbon Nomad Gallery-nomad-5.jpg  

    Carbon Nomad Gallery-nomad-6.jpg  


  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: daggert's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    98
    Wow... nice rigs. However for close to the same price i think i'd go with this.... fun factor 10x ;>)


  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    28
    OK, so I was about to push the button on a Blur LTc build until I saw that German Nomad with the 180mm 36. That has to be the most amazing Nomad build I've seen yet! It looks insane!

    Some questions on the new Fox forks for those in the know:

    Firstly, do the forks on the complete bikes shipped by SCB have the Kashima coating? The stanchions on the 180s on the bike builder on their site look suspiciously less gold than the ones in the thread here.

    Secondly can anyone point me to A2C measurements for the new 36 160 and 180 TALAS in its different travel settings?

    Thirdly do TALAS forks work the same in each of their travel settings? ie could I run the 180 in its 140mm setting most of the time and still get decent performance out of it? I've heard mixed things about the plushness of TALAS, but apparently they've got it a bit better sorted for 2011. I know a few people running older Floats on Nomads with the travel set to 140 - it would be cool to have that but also the option to pop it out to 180 when it's time to go crazy.

    It has now become my mission to build a Nomadc with a 180mm fork to 27lb

    Cheers!

    Max

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Gough
    OK, so I was about to push the button on a Blur LTc build until I saw that German Nomad with the 180mm 36. That has to be the most amazing Nomad build I've seen yet! It looks insane!

    Some questions on the new Fox forks for those in the know:

    Firstly, do the forks on the complete bikes shipped by SCB have the Kashima coating? The stanchions on the 180s on the bike builder on their site look suspiciously less gold than the ones in the thread here.

    Secondly can anyone point me to A2C measurements for the new 36 160 and 180 TALAS in its different travel settings?

    Thirdly do TALAS forks work the same in each of their travel settings? ie could I run the 180 in its 140mm setting most of the time and still get decent performance out of it? I've heard mixed things about the plushness of TALAS, but apparently they've got it a bit better sorted for 2011. I know a few people running older Floats on Nomads with the travel set to 140 - it would be cool to have that but also the option to pop it out to 180 when it's time to go crazy.

    It has now become my mission to build a Nomadc with a 180mm fork to 27lb

    Cheers!

    Max
    Most OEM forks do not have Kashima Coat. Most articles have said aftermarket only. I think talas feels the same either setting, reports are that they are especially good on the 2011 forks.

    To the motocross bike. Yeah, right... where you gonna ride that thing, on MTB trails? Yeah, I didn't think so!
    "It looks flexy"

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    28
    Re: Kashima - that's a bummer if it's true. Seems like a big thing to miss out on if it makes as big a difference to the plushness of the fork as they're claiming.

    It's not like we're talking about a cheap bike build here, so to end up with second rate fork performance is a bit galling really. Hmmm.

    I emailed Fox earlier to find out a couple of things, so can hopefully shed some more light on various differences between fork specs soon.

    Having stumbled upon an A2C length of 565mm for the 180 in full travel mode, I'm estimating head angles of 66 in 180 and 68 in 140. Essentially the same as running a 160mm Float chassis at 150mm I think??

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gticlay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Gough
    Re: Kashima - that's a bummer if it's true. Seems like a big thing to miss out on if it makes as big a difference to the plushness of the fork as they're claiming.

    It's not like we're talking about a cheap bike build here, so to end up with second rate fork performance is a bit galling really. Hmmm.

    I emailed Fox earlier to find out a couple of things, so can hopefully shed some more light on various differences between fork specs soon.

    Having stumbled upon an A2C length of 565mm for the 180 in full travel mode, I'm estimating head angles of 66 in 180 and 68 in 140. Essentially the same as running a 160mm Float chassis at 150mm I think??
    No, it's 'regular' in that at 180mm, it rides like a 160+20mm. If you limited the fork (which is an option) to 160mm, it would ride like 160mm, not 150mm. At 140mm, it rides like 140mm.
    "It looks flexy"

Page 1 of 83 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •