Page 4 of 83 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast
    Shut up and RIDE!
    nice! i guess your black nomad c is the first one i saw that doesn't have gold accents
    Santa Cruz Nomad Carbon
    Intense M9

mtbr member
    And the very first Bike on MTBR (at least that I see here!) to sport the new XTR! Very Nice!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Nice mate! Looks amazing. Where do you get the 980?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I got the 980 from the box of bits under the bench in my shop! Seriously though, I have most of the XC range available now, Trail will be a few more weeks, XT and SLX 10sp next week. Runs better than XX in as far as it shifts better and is quieter, and besides it matches the bike!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Posted some pics a while back - now have it with all the parts I wanted on it. Been riding it like I stole it - and it loves it! It is not as pretty as some of the other bikes here though!
    Weighs 28lb 4 oz.
    Nomad parts list:
    Race Face Sixc carbon bar – full length
    Avid Elixer R brakes – 6 in rotors front n rear
    XT front and rear shifters
    XT front and rear deraillers
    Gravity Dropper Post
    XTR crankset
    XTR rear cassette 11/34
    Edge all mountain carbon wheel set/DT swiss 240 hubs, 32 spokes-bladed
    2011 fox 36 160 talas fork 1.5-1.125 tapered steer tube
    Specialized Eskar S works tires – Tubeless with Stans sealant
    KMC chain
    Specialized, Henge saddle
    Wellgo Magnesium pedals
    Cane creek head set
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon Nomad Gallery-nomadc-009.jpg  

Carbon Nomad Gallery-nomadc-010.jpg  

2008 SC V10, 2009 IBIS MOJO, 2009 SC V10, 2008 INTENSE 6.6, 2008 Intense Socom,2010 Nomad carbon.

super gearhead
    Jul 2009
    Interesting choice on the XTR cranks with XT shifting. If anything I would have done the inverse.

Also I'm sure those rims are nice, but the graphics on them kinda ruin the flow of the bike. Now if you could get your hands on some custom gold lamé stickers...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbeef523
    Interesting choice on the XTR cranks with XT shifting. If anything I would have done the inverse.

Also I'm sure those rims are nice, but the graphics on them kinda ruin the flow of the bike. Now if you could get your hands on some custom gold lamé stickers...

Yea, I would have gone with XT over XTR cranks too....and what were you thinking putting those ugly Edge composites on your bike

On a serious note....your Nomad C is probably one of the best looking so far. Bling has no place on a mountain bike in my humble opinion.

super gearhead
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by davidsthubbins
    Yea, I would have gone with XT over XTR cranks too....and what were you thinking putting those ugly Edge composites on your bike

On a serious note....your Nomad C is probably one of the best looking so far. Bling has no place on a mountain bike in my humble opinion.
    Your "bling" statement is hilarious. I laughed pretty hard at that one. You're pretty disillusioned.

What I was saying about the XT vs XTR thing is that I would have spent the extra buck on XTR shifters and derailleurs and run XT cranks instead of the other way around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Is everyone whose opinion differs from yours "disillusioned"?

mtbr member
    yes, because he doesn't see it your way.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Okay - I will give you my reasoning, however lame it may be! Rotating weight means a lot more to me than stationary weight. XTR shifters and derailers cost more and the weight savings is minimal and it does nothing to reduce the amount of weight you are cranking around and around as you climb the mountain! You are probably going to laugh at me for scrimping a little on the brakes and XT parts and then spending the ridiculous amount of money for the edge wheelset as well! But I have blown up a few rear derailers over the years on rocks and logs, so I have a hard time convincing myself to spend extra money on somthing that I know there is a good chance I will trash. I have never destoyed a wheel set - dinged a rim or two, knocked them out of true, but they were always still trueable/usable. It will be interesting to see how the Edge wheels hold up - I can tell you I am not giving them any mercy at the present time! Pick the rockiest line and launch off every rock I can! I love what some of these guys have done color coordinating there bikes - but I am too impatient too wait for all the parts too make everything look perfect color wise - I like too ride these babies! My only current thing I am thinking of changing on this bike is doing a 2x9 setup with a bash/chain guide as i have lost the chain a couple times - and one time it got wound under the ISGC tabs - thought I was going to have to remove the cranks to get it out! not a pretty picture when it is still 5 miles to the trail head.
    2008 SC V10, 2009 IBIS MOJO, 2009 SC V10, 2008 INTENSE 6.6, 2008 Intense Socom,2010 Nomad carbon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BATM
    Okay - I will give you my reasoning, however lame it may be! Rotating weight means a lot more to me than stationary weight. XTR shifters and derailers cost more and the weight savings is minimal and it does nothing to reduce the amount of weight you are cranking around and around as you climb the mountain! You are probably going to laugh at me for scrimping a little on the brakes and XT parts and then spending the ridiculous amount of money for the edge wheelset as well! But I have blown up a few rear derailers over the years on rocks and logs, so I have a hard time convincing myself to spend extra money on somthing that I know there is a good chance I will trash. I have never destoyed a wheel set - dinged a rim or two, knocked them out of true, but they were always still trueable/usable. It will be interesting to see how the Edge wheels hold up - I can tell you I am not giving them any mercy at the present time! Pick the rockiest line and launch off every rock I can! I love what some of these guys have done color coordinating there bikes - but I am too impatient too wait for all the parts too make everything look perfect color wise - I like too ride these babies! My only current thing I am thinking of changing on this bike is doing a 2x9 setup with a bash/chain guide as i have lost the chain a couple times - and one time it got wound under the ISGC tabs - thought I was going to have to remove the cranks to get it out! not a pretty picture when it is still 5 miles to the trail head.
    Yeah, get yourself an ISCG stinger asap. Don't want to thrash your frame and pivot mounts. I like your thinking. Rotating mass affects your ride much more than a couple of grams on the rear derailleur or shifter pods. Yeah the XTR looks fickin' rad but big deal when you are trying to clear something tough.

MY bike is 90% built..... but I have XT 10 speed on the way right this second. Should be here by Monday or Tuesday.... was planning on riding my new Carbon Nomad Sunday but now I'm thinking of waiting till the 10 speed stuff arrives. I'm going 1x10 after all.... I have NO idea what my bike will weigh, but here is what my build will be:

2010 white Carbon Nomad
    Either a 2011 RP23, a Pushed FloatR, an RC4, or a DHX-air. I have all those shocks because my Firebird uses the same shock size
    XT wheelset, 203mm CL rotors
    Saint 4-pot brakes
    XT 10 speed setup
    Straitline "no moving parts" chainguide
    e.13 32t front ring
    Easton Monkeylite DH bars
    Weirwolf 2.3 UST tires
    Masterpiece seatpost
    Vigo seat (I think that's what it's called.....)
    Fox 36 Float 160mm, RC2.
    "It looks flexy"

super gearhead
    Jul 2009
    Is everyone whose opinion differs from yours "disillusioned"?
    No, only those whose comeback insults are thinly veiled.

mtbr member
    I went the same way BATM did, XT RD/FD and shifters are pretty tough and performance-wise they are pretty much the same as the XTR. Now, the precision of the XTR drivetrain is outstanding. Went with XTR cranks, cassette and chain on my Pitch. Plus the XTR cranks are nice and strong. Brakeset is Elixir too, but the CR carbon version though. Anyway, nice spec all the way. Love those EDGE rims. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    No, only those whose comeback insults are thinly veiled.

So....since my opinion on the appearance of a bicycle is different than yours, I'm "disillusioned".....but only because my comeback insults are thinly veiled. Otherwise I would be entitled to my opinion?

Ouch, my head is hurting.

Not sure what you're taking offense to.....If it's the sarcasm from my original post, I apologize. I just didn't like the fact that after the numerous compliments on your bike another guy posts his and you proceed to tell him whats wrong with it. If you're taking offense to the fact that I like his build better than yours then screw you....it's my opinion and I can think what I like. You have a sweet bike, I'm just not a fan of blinged out mountain bikes. You obviously are and that's great.

super gearhead
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Black RONIN
    I went the same way BATM did, XT RD/FD and shifters are pretty tough and performance-wise they are pretty much the same as the XTR. Now, the precision of the XTR drivetrain is outstanding. Went with XTR cranks, cassette and chain on my Pitch. Plus the XTR cranks are nice and strong. Brakeset is Elixir too, but the CR carbon version though. Anyway, nice spec all the way. Love those EDGE rims. Enjoy!

XT cranks are just as strong as XTR, if not a tad stronger, and the XTR shadow derailleur with XTR triggers is a more precise shift than the XT, which I have always felt was way too clunky. Also with the XTR shifter you get multi-release for upshifting, which is nice for the descents.

super gearhead
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    How can you run a 2.2 tire on back? I blew out my Prowler Mx 2.3 and had to put my UST Mtn King 2.4 and it looks like a 1999 2.1 tire. So skinny!
    The 2.2 works fine for where I ride, plus it's ridiculously light.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hi here is my baby nomad carbon....just done my setup yesterday..
    Love it n enjoyed it alot...

total weight w pedals 27.5lbs
    frame: M size w Dhx air
    Fox talas 36 RLC Fit
    Cris King HS
    RaceFace Next SL crankset, Handlebar, seatpost, stem, grip
    Nuke Proof Ti pedals
    Sram X0 shifters, RD
    XTR FD, cassette
    Hope Race X2 brake
    Selle Italia carbon saddle
    Crank Brothers Iodine wheelset
    Maxxis Ardent 2.25 f/r
    KMC lightweight gold chain
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon Nomad Gallery-1.jpg  

Carbon Nomad Gallery-2.jpg  

Carbon Nomad Gallery-3.jpg  

Carbon Nomad Gallery-4.jpg  

super gearhead
    Jul 2009

So....since my opinion on the appearance of a bicycle is different than yours, I'm "disillusioned".....but only because my comeback insults are thinly veiled. Otherwise I would be entitled to my opinion?

Ouch, my head is hurting.

Not sure what you're taking offense to.....If it's the sarcasm from my original post, I apologize. I just didn't like the fact that after the numerous compliments on your bike another guy posts his and you proceed to tell him whats wrong with it. If you're taking offense to the fact that I like his build better than yours then screw you....it's my opinion and I can think what I like. You have a sweet bike, I'm just not a fan of blinged out mountain bikes. You obviously are and that's great.

tl, dr

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004

27lbs

Here's mine.

Weighs in a hair under 27lbs.

You can check out more pics here:
    http://bikedrd.pinkbike.com/album/Carbon-Nomad/

The Build
    Medium Frame, RP23
    EX1750 Wheels
    Maxxis 2.35 High Rollers
    Stans Kit
    XX 11-36 Cassette
    X0 Rear Deraileur and shifter
    XTR Cranks, 34t ring
    XTR pedals
    MRP Lopes guide
    Formula One Brakes with Ti Bolts and R1 two-piece rotors
    KS i900r seatpost with crankbrothers lever
    Carbon railed saddle
    Cane Creek headset, flush upper (way lighter than King)
    2011 Float RLC 36, Kashima
    Thomson 70mm stem
    Edge riser bars
    Racers edge grips
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon Nomad Gallery-gopr0095-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I want to see that weight hanging on a bike scale! seems very light for the parts you have on it. If it is that light I am going to be looking at changing some parts! Good looking bike! I love the white bikes, makes me want to change colors!

mtbr member
    Here you go. First ride last night!

Darren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon Nomad Gallery-nomad-iso.jpg  

Carbon Nomad Gallery-nomad-iso2.jpg  

super gearhead
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikedrd
    Here's mine.

Weighs in a hair under 27lbs.

You can check out more pics here:
    http://bikedrd.pinkbike.com/album/Carbon-Nomad/

The Build
    Medium Frame, RP23
    EX1750 Wheels
    Maxxis 2.35 High Rollers
    Stans Kit
    XX 11-36 Cassette
    X0 Rear Deraileur and shifter
    XTR Cranks, 34t ring
    XTR pedals
    MRP Lopes guide
    Formula One Brakes with Ti Bolts and R1 two-piece rotors
    KS i900r seatpost with crankbrothers lever
    Carbon railed saddle
    Cane Creek headset, flush upper (way lighter than King)
    2011 Float RLC 36, Kashima
    Thomson 70mm stem
    Edge riser bars
    Racers edge grips

Parts-wise your bike is nice, but aesthetically it looks like all the rest. White frame, white fork, white wheels. It's becoming a new trend these days, and few can escape it.

mtbr member
    Parts-wise your bike is nice, but aesthetically it looks like all the rest. White frame, white fork, white wheels. It's becoming a new trend these days, and few can escape it.
    Not much different than going black on black on black now is it?
    "It looks flexy"

Armchair Product Manager
    Jul 2004
    I know. Not really a trend following decision so much as lack of choices, a bit. My only choice was the grips, which was "might as well" decision.

Page 4 of 83 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast