Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Kootenaytallboy - how you liking those Schwalbe Big Betty tires? I'm riding the 2010 Prowler XT 2.3 UST in the soft compound on the back and the Muddy Mary 2.35 UST on the front (the triple compound). Both are awesome tires... the Muddy Mary are frigging killer front tires in all conditions we have here. I read the Big Betty isn't so great on the front when it gets a little wet, muddy, or slippery and I'm curious what you think about yours.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenaytallboy
    Still a few changes to make, but thought I'd post anyways to provide an example of an XL carbon nomad.

The thing rides amazingly well. I'm a DHer at heart, and wanted something that could handle going down as well as going up. I have a longer stem as well for those long days in the saddle, but right now I'm running the shorty Thomson because I've been riding trails that are up then down as opposed to rolling. Anyways, the bike pedals well, descends well, and is generally a total blast. As nearly everyone says, the nomad is an exceptional do it all kinda bike.

Build: some of this stuff was new, some I had lying around, and some I got from a buddy. All in all, it worked out pretty well, as I spent less than I would have with a full build from Santa Cruz but got what I wanted.

XL nomad C
    Fox DHX Air on loan, RP23 to come
    Fox Talas 36 1.5 from '09, in white!
    Thomson stem
    Acros headset
    RF Atlas bars, cut to just over 30"
    ODI ruffians
    Juicy 7s with 8" rotors, but going to put smaller ones on once I get them
    X9 shifters
    X9 rear derailleur
    XT front derailleur
    Chris King BB
    Hone cranks 22/36 w/ bash
    1750 wheels
    Schwalbe Big Betty 2.4 freeride casing - soon to go tubeless
    XTR cassette
    SRAM chain
    CB Mallets
    WTB seat
    KS post - arguably the best part of the bike... If you haven't tried one (or something like it) you should.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Ah, I think got my numbers wrong

160mm 36 A2C @ 160mm = 545mm = 67 HA
    160mm 36 A2C @ 140mm = 525mm = 68 HA

180mm 36 A2C @ 180mm = 565mm = 66 HA
    180mm 36 A2C @ 140mm = 565-40mm = 525mm = 68 HA

Sorry, that's one of the perils of trying to fit work into my day when I should be concentrating on bikes

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Curtykills: "yes it works perfect w/out xx crank/fder"

How is this? Crank non issue, but front der? I found that the XX front shifter pulls about half the cable as an XT front shifter. This should result in the XX shifter getting that XTR front derailleur about half the distance it needs to travel to complete a shift. Did you modify the frnt der cable pull? Clamp the cable on the "wrong" side of the pinch bolt?
    If this works, I'd really like to know how. Thanks in advance!!

mtbr member
    I would guess he's using a Shimano shifter or XO.
    "It looks flexy"

Learning to Fly
    Mar 2008
    gticlay, or anyone really.

Don't put velcro on your frame to protect it.
    Find an auto window tint shop that also installs paint chip protection film. Ask if you can by some of the 3M Chip Protection Film from them (I got about a 12" piece of a 30" roll for $25). Then cut pieces to fit wherever you get cable rub or want protection and apply. It's totally clear and cables won't rub through it.

If you get a long enough piece you can run a strip on the down tube to protect from rock spray and shuttle trucks. I'm not a obsessive clean bike guy but I figured this would help keep my frame looking fresh and protect it without being over the top. So far it's worked out great.

mtbr member
    to mavis: 35.5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gticlay
    Why are people putting narrow carbon on their Nomads? I can't imagine anything more narrow than 711mm... most people around here are running 30"+ low pro bars like the Race Face Atlas at almost 31"!!!. I want to try the SIXC bars on my bike - 28.5" (725mm) and only 220g? That's SIC...X.... er something.
    I just picked up some of the SIXC bars, let me tell you, these things are epic. Plenty wide, very light, and they seem to glow in sunlight ! They are well worth the cash and I highly recommend them.

Oh and everyone's carbon nomads, these things are beautiful. Congrats on your great builds
    2013 Medium Santa Cruz Blur Trc in Matte/Silver, full XT kit, 1x10 with 32T wolftooth ring, 25 pounds 7 ounces

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Has anyone confirmed whether or not the forks from Santa Cruz are 2011 Fox Forks? I have a hard time believing that Santa Cruz would build new bikes without the best available product on them. Also don't think that Fox would make a new fork, 36 180mm in two different stanchion material. Just be good to see if anyone has received a complete NomadC with fox forks on the bike and what year model that fork was.

mtbr member
    I believe the kashima coating is only for the 36 and 40 fox forks. The 32 fox forks do not get the kashima coating. With the larger diameter stanchions and contact area it is harder to get the 36 and 40 forks moving which is why they went with the kashima coat.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The kashima coating is only available on aftermarket forks for 2011 and you will have to wait until 2012 for it to filter down to complete bikes. It will come on all 32, 36 and 30mm forks.

fan of maple syrup
    Quote Originally Posted by PeachesN'Cream
    gticlay, or anyone really.

Don't put velcro on your frame to protect it.
    Find an auto window tint shop that also installs paint chip protection film. Ask if you can by some of the 3M Chip Protection Film from them (I got about a 12" piece of a 30" roll for $25). Then cut pieces to fit wherever you get cable rub or want protection and apply. It's totally clear and cables won't rub through it.

If you get a long enough piece you can run a strip on the down tube to protect from rock spray and shuttle trucks. I'm not a obsessive clean bike guy but I figured this would help keep my frame looking fresh and protect it without being over the top. So far it's worked out great.
    Or get this for the whole bike:
    http://www.frameskin.com/product.php?id_product=77
    ... or if that doesn't look like it'll work for NomadC, contact Alan at Frameskin and you'll find he's prob not far off having a template ready for one anyway.

mtbr member
    I'm sort of thinking I should have bought another white bike. I was getting sick of white since my current aluminum one is white, but they look so damn good.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I put a kashima coated fox fork up against a black Nomad C the other day - the gold in the Kashima is a near perfect match for the gold around the SC stickers. The black Nomad C is made for Kashima, looks very sweet and balanced. You'll be right gticlay.

Besides, when you ride the thing, you'll be in a different world to us ordinary bike owners...cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamK
    I put a kashima coated fox fork up against a black Nomad C the other day - the gold in the Kashima is a near perfect match for the gold around the SC stickers. The black Nomad C is made for Kashima, looks very sweet and balanced. You'll be right gticlay.

Besides, when you ride the thing, you'll be in a different world to us ordinary bike owners...cheers
    Sweet. What I'm really hoping is that the stiffness of the Carbon frame will allow me to see what a bike feels to someone that's not so damn fat
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Where's the mediums.......???????????

In a few weeks I'm looking forward to having this big trailbike sitting somewhere around 27lbs in my shed

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Hey Gripo how are you doing mate. Hasn't Tim got a medium. Have you been in to see one - I felt the back end, wow and wow. That is silly stiff. What a very special bike. Cheers

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Hey Gripo how are you doing mate. Hasn't Tim got a medium. Have you been in to see one - I felt the back end, wow and wow. That is silly stiff. What a very special bike. Cheers
    Haven't been in there in person, believe only blacks available atm.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I saw a white one on the display stand, but it might be a L. They have both colours, so it's good to decide on the colour.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I saw a white one on the display stand, but it might be a L. They have both colours, so it's good to decide on the colour.
    Must be a L or it's someone else's...... I have a M White on order, will be a few weeks so they say.....hope not though.....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Re Big Betty tires - to be honest, I can't give a super informed opinion on these tires, as I haven't tried any of their direct competitors. However, I can say that I'm quite impressed thus far. I come from a DH background, and these things compare quite favourably to the DHFs on my big bike. In fact, I originally had DHFs on the Nomad until the BBs came in, and when I switched, I didn't feel like there was a huge difference in traction. To be sure, there was some difference, but it wasn't as big as I expected. My good buddy is a big believer in Muddy Mary tires, and I hummed and hawed for some time before choosing. Ultimately, I figured the Big Bettys would roll just a little better without giving up too much on the downhill, at least in dry conditions. Everything is a compromise I suppose, and that's the one I chose. I'd like to think I'm right, but as I said at the outset, I'm really not too sure. All I know is that I'm happy so far.

Re Velcro - ya, 3M tape or some other vinyl adhesive is great for protecting paint and, to some degree, the actual material of your frame, but it doesn't have some of the other benefits of velcro. Obvoiusly, its not going to be as protective. It also won't last in some areas, particularly those subject to chain slap. On that note, I've used adhesive velcro on my DH bike (around chainstays, etc) for some time now, and I gotta say its pretty damn awesome ripping downhill with nothing but the sounds of your freehub and rubber on dirt. With a long or even middle length rear derailleur, along with the metal surroundings of a front derailleur, its hard to get a 2x9 set up as quiet, but one can still try

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    is there one who have the weight of a nomad c in xl/air damper. sc says there are only 0,06 pounds between the nomad ant the blur in carbon - could that be right?
    Last edited by psisp; 07-07-2010 at 12:39 PM.

Cheesiest
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbjtd
    Wow... nice rigs. However for close to the same price i think i'd go with this.... fun factor 10x ;>)

No shite!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Sorry to contribute but I thought this was the Nomad carbon gallery? More chatter than pictures. Just sayin...

mtbr member

Last edited by gticlay; 08-05-2010 at 12:25 PM.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I'm in the same boat as you, gticlay. I've had the parts kit assembled for weeks now, just need a frame.

Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 ... LastLast