Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Carbon Nomad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a rumor that S/C will be showing off a carbon Nomad at Sea Otter....... can't wait to see her!

mtbr member
    When you have that many !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'s, you had better have a picture to back up your rumor.
    "It looks flexy"

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    ^ x2! LOL

I respectfully submit that you consider this thread utterly worthless without pictures.

But goddam that would be sick.

mtbr member
    Well, it might be worthless until Friday, when Sea Otter's going on. I doubt they'd do a debut for SO though, as they just came out with the new blur...

abnormally aspirated
    Jun 2005
    winkie was implied BTW.

TNC
    noMAD man
    If true, I wonder what that thing would cost?...Ouch!

www.AuburnBikeCompany.com
    i started a rumor of question...no facts...it wouldnt be a wise bizness choice if they dont even have anodized nomads avaible for all fill in backorders.

i bet its carbon blur lt or something completely different..

maybe carbon xc hardtail or who knows...v10?

all Kirt told me was that it was "something brand new never before seen"

Bomber
    Santa cruz is a bit unorthodox though. It'll be interesting to see what comes out.
    "To crush your enemies, see them driven before, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

mtbr member
    Awesome! Now you get to pay 2x as much for minimal performance benefits! * high five *

Its not like the Nomad is really in need of a carbon model, so what would be the point exactly?
    Stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dropmachine.com
    Awesome! Now you get to pay 2x as much for minimal performance benefits! * high five *

Its not like the Nomad is really in need of a carbon model, so what would be the point exactly?
    Actually, I think the nomad above all other long travel AM bikes needs carbon. Think of how many coffee drinking old men who ride them for XC and to the coffee shop there are, it fits the bill for a 6.5 inch travel carbon bike perfectly!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=curtykills]i started a rumor of question...no facts...it wouldnt be a wise bizness choice if they dont even have anodized nomads avaible for all fill in backorders.

The Carbon units are produced by another outside vendor specializing in the carbon technology so the availability factor would vary from the current alloy production runs. As far as business decision goes I think it is wise. The target market is different due to the price point. By still offering single pivot, VPP and now carbon they have broadened their market. During this economic down turn I'm sure SC was able to negotiate a good contract with the vendor. Keep in mind many folk simply can't afford the carbon versions as they become available. As much as I'd love to own a LT2 or Nomad carbon unit I'd have to wait for sloppy seconds as I did for my LT2.

mtbr member
    Something never seen before from SC : Like a 29er carbon hardtail ?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    Actually, I think the nomad above all other long travel AM bikes needs carbon. Think of how many coffee drinking old men who ride them for XC and to the coffee shop there are, it fits the bill for a 6.5 inch travel carbon bike perfectly!
    Well, I know of one group that does that right now

Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    If true, I wonder what that thing would cost?...Ouch!
    Have we hit the $10,000 plateau in mtb yet? I have seen Spec getting dangerously close enough to the point where the numbers are no longer even and hover just under the 10k mark.

TNC
    noMAD man
    Hey...where and how I ride my carbon Nomad will be absolutely none of your business.

banned
    Unless you ride it with an arm made of titanium and an RP3 for an elbow, you're a sissy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    How about a carbon Heckler? for 2010 keeping the single pivot in the space age

based around a 160 fork

TNC
    noMAD man
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffus
    How about a carbon Heckler? for 2010 keeping the single pivot in the space age

based around a 160 fork
    Seems like it would defeat the whole motive and purpose of the Heckler...simplicity, value, durability. And no...I'm not spoiling for a carbon vs. aluminum durability debate.

mtbr member
    Seems like it would defeat the whole motive and purpose of the Heckler...simplicity, value, durability. And no...I'm not spoiling for a carbon vs. aluminum durability debate.
    There was another thread that discussed this... maybe a carbon rear swingarm with the standard Heckler5 front? Even if it was merely optional... For those with $$$ to burn, they could do a Ti front triangle too.
    "It looks flexy"

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I get your point TNC , I suppose it would be a £2000 carbon frame (£1200 alloy) instead of £3000 Carbon Nomad (£2000 alloy) Blur Xc is £2300 and going up.

It would be nice simple and light

mtbr member
    I'm betting on a carbon 29er hardtail. Totally uncharted waters for Santa Cruz on both territories.

Bring on the Funk!
    Mar 2007
    The super-secret California way (think Apple) does not always serve them well. I purchased a Titus Racer X Carbon a week before the news was official. Had I known the Blur XC Carbon was about to sproing into the market I would have waited. The double wammy is that I really like the Titus and might buy another in the future. It's one thing to create anticipation, but at what cost to your own business?

Hmmmm

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Why would SC make a new Nomad, the Nomad 2 has been around for how many months? like 6? I would bet on a 4X, they took it off ther site, it was also the last bike to be the older generation of vpp.

Neg reppers r my biatches
    wow...that is poetry and i am jealous i did not write that! very well said

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I am liking the sound of a carbon chameleon.

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    I'm not buying a DH/FR bike until they come out with the carbon V-10.

I'll also be holding my breath until it ships. Starting now.
    Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte

TNC
    noMAD man

Hey!...did you hear that?

Quote Originally Posted by Frs1661
    I'm not buying a DH/FR bike until they come out with the carbon V-10.

I'll also be holding my breath until it ships. Starting now.
    It sounded like Frs1661 hitting the floor from oxygen deprivation.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    08 xl ano slate nomad frame for sale pm me. need to sell fast
    64,999,987 firearms owners killed no one yesterday.

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    It sounded like Frs1661 hitting the floor from oxygen deprivation.
    Luckily my roommate found me in time to resuscitate me... I'll just have to come to terms with my shamefully metallic bicycles for the time being.

Someday I'll be able to ride through airport security without setting off the metal detector. Until then my dream to wheelie drop off a 787 onto one of those stair-cars will have to wait.
    Rigid Surly 1x1 650b--------Fixed CrossCheck--------Surly Pacer-------Salsa Ala Carte

mtbr member
    . . . yes and when are they shipping these suckers out, Im ashamed to park my alloy Nomad at the cafe cause all the other "old men" have carbon long-travel two wheel couches.

Once aron a time when you got old you purchased one of those Brooks saddles with big springs built in so one could travel in relative comfort deapite the hemorrhoids and now we buy 160mm travel carbon AM bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2008

Carbon Blur LT

I'm betting on a Carbon Blur LT.
    Look at this : http://www.santacruzmtb.com/blurlt_carbon/
    It's the only page which asks you a password. Perhaps would it be unlocked during the Sea Otter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rami
    It's the only page which asks you a password. Perhaps would it be unlocked during the Sea Otter.
    Any hackers out there.

Its all getting a bit X files isn't it

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rami
    *Raises an eyebrow*

Interesting find.

mtbr member
    The associated images are up.. http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/gra...rbonheader.gif

Indeed, hers a pic of it - http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/gra..._carbon_tr.jpg

Go forth and, err, yeah.

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    Neat. I guess people will be getting deals on the Alloy Blur LT's now too!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Holy god damn, I was just contemplating getting an LT2, looks like I'll just have to save for that dream build instead of the R AM kit after all, now it seems a carbon frame is on my list

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Well, I know of one group that does that right now

Have we hit the $10,000 plateau in mtb yet? I have seen Spec getting dangerously close enough to the point where the numbers are no longer even and hover just under the 10k mark.
    Hey JC,

I think the Scott Genious LTD has surpassed the $10,000.00 mark.

Happy in Happy Valley
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by winerdiner29er
    Hey JC,

I think the Scott Genious LTD has surpassed the $10,000.00 mark.
    Good lord:
    http://www.feedthehabit.com/mountain...mountain-bike/

$13,224.99 MSRP (USD)

And it weighs barely under 23lbs...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by al_bullit
    The associated images are up..

Holy sh1t! Way to break a story. I should be ready for a new bike around the time I get enough money saved up for one of these.
    Ride it like you stole it!

190lbs of climber
    Teh Hackzors FTW!
    ye' old trailblog: www.most-excellent-adventures.com THE BAY AREA... WHERE IF IT'S FUN, IT'S ILLEGAL

mtbr member
    double post

nerfherder
    Nice job website haxors.

I'm confused as to why you guys think the Alu BLT2 will go down in price? It just came out. Couldn't this be positioned as a higher end version of the BLT2 and priced accordingly? There seems to be room in the pricing for that. I guess I'm saying I wouldn't hold my breath for a price drop on the Au BLT2 but if it happens that'll be a nice thing for the consumer. Used ones, however, that's another story... upgrade time for BLT owners!

Oh, and I think that the BLT2C is mighty fine looking. I'd ride one if I were made of money.

mtbr member
    Man those decals blow on the carbon frames. Pretty bike, though. Well, looks like I'll be trying to get my hands on a used blt2, now. Hey hey!

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy_Steve
    Man those decals blow on the carbon frames. Pretty bike, though. Well, looks like I'll be trying to get my hands on a used blt2, now. Hey hey!
    I gotta agree. Not a fan of the decals on this or the BXCC.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scruffylooking
    Nice job website haxors.

I'm confused as to why you guys think the Alu BLT2 will go down in price? It just came out. Couldn't this be positioned as a higher end version of the BLT2 and priced accordingly? There seems to be room in the pricing for that. I guess I'm saying I wouldn't hold my breath for a price drop on the Au BLT2 but if it happens that'll be a nice thing for the consumer. Used ones, however, that's another story... upgrade time for BLT owners!

Oh, and I think that the BLT2C is mighty fine looking. I'd ride one if I were made of money.
    Basic product economics scruffy. Have you seen prices of nomad mk1s lately? Especially the frames with a 1.25" headtube. How about blur xc aluminum builds? You can pick one up @ backcountry for $1800 shipped, rp23, reba sl fork, deore/xt build, ect... How much did those aluminum frames retail for in 2008? I forget the exact number, but it wasn't much less than this build going on @ backcountry.

There will always be people who need the latest and greatest. Even though no-one has wholly admitted to "I'm calling my LBS to put down a deposit" on this forum, I bet there are tons of lurkers who are doing it right now. S*hit, the xc carbon just came out what, 2 months ago, and there are already quite a few threads on it.

Granted, the blt2c is different from the blt2 is respects to it being carbon, and looks like it's going more along the line of competition to say:

stumpjumper fsr expert
    stumpjumper fsr expert carbon
    blt2 - xt build
    blt2-c - xt build

It's not a replacement like the blt2 did to the blt1, or the bxc-c to the bxc, so the pricing won't be as drastic as the blt1s and bcxs dropped. However, there will still be a drop of prices, especially on used frames. Santa Cruz & the LBS might not accept the fact that the aluminum frames are worth less now, but with a boutique manufacturer like Santa Cruz and very limited production/availability, I think it will. People want boutiqe, they want the best, and now this blt2-c is the ultimate trail bike! Looks like I'll be watching ebay for the next year or so...

Got A Lust for Life...
    Order for XC carbon canceled. Order for carbon LT placed...
    I am immune to your disdain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25
    Order for XC carbon canceled. Order for carbon LT placed...
    well, that was quick, and one on the board. Indyfab, what size is your blt2? Hahahahaha.

Got A Lust for Life...
    well, that was quick, and one on the board. Indyfab, what size is your blt2? Hahahahaha.
    Large...and I'll be selling it pretty cheap as I got a great price on it. Justa waiting on ETA for that thing.
    I am immune to your disdain.

nerfherder
    Basic product economics scruffy. Have you seen prices of nomad mk1s lately? Especially the frames with a 1.25" headtube. How about blur xc aluminum builds? You can pick one up @ backcountry for $1800 shipped, rp23, reba sl fork, deore/xt build, ect... How much did those aluminum frames retail for in 2008? I forget the exact number, but it wasn't much less than this build going on @ backcountry.

There will always be people who need the latest and greatest. Even though no-one has wholly admitted to "I'm calling my LBS to put down a deposit" on this forum, I bet there are tons of lurkers who are doing it right now. S*hit, the xc carbon just came out what, 2 months ago, and there are already quite a few threads on it.

Granted, the blt2c is different from the blt2 is respects to it being carbon, and looks like it's going more along the line of competition to say:

stumpjumper fsr expert
    stumpjumper fsr expert carbon
    blt2 - xt build
    blt2-c - xt build

It's not a replacement like the blt2 did to the blt1, or the bxc-c to the bxc, so the pricing won't be as drastic as the blt1s and bcxs dropped. However, there will still be a drop of prices, especially on used frames. Santa Cruz & the LBS might not accept the fact that the aluminum frames are worth less now, but with a boutique manufacturer like Santa Cruz and very limited production/availability, I think it will. People want boutiqe, they want the best, and now this blt2-c is the ultimate trail bike! Looks like I'll be watching ebay for the next year or so...
    Oh, I totally agree with you on the used bike front. BLT2s should be showing up. Any. Second. Now.

Just wondering if it'll change the pricing of new AL BLT2s. I like your Stumpy analogy, Stumpy. That's what my mind first jumped to. BLT2 frame geo in two flavors: AL and Carbon. Priced accordingly. That said, Speedgoat just put BLT2s on sale. What perfect timing.

Everything else SCB seems to be on sale, too.

And yes, I've been following the resale market on Nomad 1s with 1 1/8th. I'm about to list mine. Cue sad trombone.

Indy - You bike pimp. Didn't you JUST get a BLT2 in AL?

nerfherder
    Quote Originally Posted by indyfab25
    Large...and I'll be selling it pretty cheap as I got a great price on it. Justa waiting on ETA for that thing.
    See? Any. Second. Just. Passed...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 5H0CK3R
    Holy sh1t! Way to break a story. I should be ready for a new bike around the time I get enough money saved up for one of these.

WOW. Very tempting. Wonder how many people will actually be able to afford this guy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast