mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Carbon durability when ridden by a 200lber

Im planning to go carbon and very interested in the Bronson. My average commitment with a frame is 3-4 years. Question to carbon riders: will it last that long? I know carbons are tougher than alloy when brand new. I dont know if it would last overtime. Im 200lbs so would that make thing more complicated?

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm 200 and I wouldn't think twice. That's also why I prefer the overbuilt Nomadc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Exactly... I was around 200 lbs with gear when I rode my old NomadC (a 2011) and I had no issues at all.

Warrior's Society
    IF you are committed to a frame for 3-4 years......SC runs a 5 year warranty on their carbon frames.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Is it hard to resell 3yr old carbon frames compared to alloy frames?

mtbr member
    not really. In my experience a good carbon frame is always desired. Who knows if that will change in years to come though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm between 200-210 depending on the time of year and my TBc has been fine.
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LGavin View Post
    Im planning to go carbon and very interested in the Bronson. My average commitment with a frame is 3-4 years. Question to carbon riders: will it last that long? I know carbons are tougher than alloy when brand new. I dont know if it would last overtime. Im 200lbs so would that make thing more complicated?
    Carbon isn't tougher than alloy when new. If by tougher you mean it won't break.

It has different material properties. It will be stiffer and lighter which you will likely enjoy.

However carbon doesn't suffer point loading happily so if you crash it into rocks you could well break a carbon frame where an alloy frame would just get a harmless dent.

I also keep my frames a long time and I ride someplace rocky. So it's an issue that concerns me as well.

I'm not a carbon hater or fanboi.

What it comes down to is both the AL and carbon frames from SC are excellent, but they are different. I don't see a clear winner. It just depends what you value most and what issues concern you the most.

Read up on SC's warranty and No Fault Replacement program so you understand what the longterm support considerations are.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    209 Lbs plus gear. Talboy LTC. Before that Mojo, before that SJ Pro Carbon. I ride the poop out of my bikes and maintain them well. Would trust carbon over Al any day of the week and twice on sunday. The parts will wear out long before your frame ever does.

Stronger, lighter, stiffer, and more flexible which means better ride quality. For me the only down sides to Carbon are price, and noise. They seem to amplify noises like the Bleeps, the sweeps, and the creeps...

I Ride for Donuts
    Quote Originally Posted by SJDude View Post
    . They seem to amplify noises like the Bleeps, the sweeps, and the creeps...
    You have no excuse for driving to work
    (unless you don't have studded tires)
    (no excuse for that either)

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    carbon nomad here, 200+ lb rider with no issues. Actually, I have one mark that might be a crak on the seat stay from rock contact. I'm planning a full tear down soon and close inspection of the frame. I'm at 1.5 years with the bike and it has been great. I'm sure an AL one would be great as well though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SJDude View Post
    209 Lbs plus gear. Talboy LTC. Before that Mojo, before that SJ Pro Carbon. I ride the poop out of my bikes and maintain them well. Would trust carbon over Al any day of the week and twice on sunday. The parts will wear out long before your frame ever does.

Stronger, lighter, stiffer, and more flexible which means better ride quality. For me the only down sides to Carbon are price, and noise. They seem to amplify noises like the Bleeps, the sweeps, and the creeps...
    Interesting you find this - I am running my TRC 1x10 with a clutched (XT) rear der. Its no noisier than any of the guys I ride with on any other material, in fact, now I have put the new RD on I'd say its one of the quietest. Guess it depends on setup.

To digress briefly however, anyone remember the tioga disk wheels from the 90's - they were LOUD!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've been using my NomadC as a DH bike and XC bike for 3 years and it has seen a lot of abuse. Other than some scratches it's as good as new. Watch this video: Pinkbike Visits The Santa Cruz Test Lab Video - Pinkbike
    It is tougher than aluminum by about 40%.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I ride the rockiest trails the Phoenix area has to offer. I weight 200-215 lately. I ride a carbon Bronson. I came off a Tallboy carbon. The carbon bikes do weigh a little less. The real improvement is in the ride. I will never ride anything else but carbon. In my opinion the people that hate on carbon do so because they don't understand it, haven't ridden it, or just can't afford it.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm 185 + gear, I have been on carbon bikes for many years & like them a lot.

I like how stiff & smooth they ride.

1 thing I don't like about the carbon movement is the want/need to just go lighter & lighter.

I myself would like to see them just make them tuffer & stiffer.

Myself I have never broken a carbon frame but some I the people I ride with I wouldn't trust them with a Hammer let alone a carbon bike.

So you need to have a good idea of were you fit in the gear wrecker range & be honest with yourself.

Also there is budget to take into acc, If you have to take money out of the build kit to buy the carbon frame, That may not be smart.

I own & ride Rip9 RDO & love it ( a lot ) but would maybe let my carbon frame go before my Pike fork & carbon wheels.

So if I had to choose it would be tuff & I'm glad I don't have to.

I have friends that I have talked into building up the Alloy version of the frame & put XX1 group set & Pike fork Carbon wheels.

I think they end up with a better bike that is better for there budget than if they had spent the same money on a carbon frame bike.

Good luck with what you choose.

mtbr member
    This is a non-issue.
    I'll be along... eventually.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    6' 3" and 235 lbs with gear. I can't attest to carbon's durability, but I do have experience with aluminum's durability:

Blur LT2: second broken swing arm

Check out this video on carbon v. aluminum:

Pinkbike Visits The Santa Cruz Test Lab Video - YouTube

It's pretty impressive when those pinkbike guys wallop a carbon frame against the edge of a concrete block.

I know carbons are tougher than alloy when brand new. I dont know if it would last overtime.
    It's my understanding that aluminum bikes have to be overbuilt because every time you ride an aluminum bike, it gets weaker. Not so with carbon. After riding a carbon bike, if you don't crack it, it is just as strong as when you began your ride. Check out this article on different frame materials:

http://calfeedesign.com/tech-papers/...l-white-paper/

Just keep in mind that they are talking about road frames, so mtb bikes with their suspension forks, shocks, and fat tires make the harsh feel of certain frame materials irrelevant.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    6'2", 230 lbs without gear. I ride my Blur TRc aggressively and have zero concerns about the durability of carbon. I've been running Easton Havoc DH bars as well with zero issues. My only recommendation for us bigger guys would be to look at components built for riding 1 step more aggressive than you usually ride, ie if you ride XC, maybe get AM bars/wheels. If you ride AM, might want to look at a DH carbon bar and wheels on the burlier side.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bnorthro View Post
    6'2", 230 lbs without gear. I ride my Blur TRc aggressively and have zero concerns about the durability of carbon. I've been running Easton Havoc DH bars as well with zero issues. My only recommendation for us bigger guys would be to look at components built for riding 1 step more aggressive than you usually ride, ie if you ride XC, maybe get AM bars/wheels. If you ride AM, might want to look at a DH carbon bar and wheels on the burlier side.
    Exactly what he said!
    Australia didn't drift away over thousands of years - Chuck Norris roundhouse kicked it in the face.