Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Carbon disbonding issues....

So i am on my my second TRc frame after my first was warrantied due to the lower pivot attachment came disbonded. After about 100 miles on the new frame I can already tell the same thing in the same place is going to happen and I will require another warrantied frame. I've read the LTc TRc and the XCc all have this same issue in the same exact spot. I've also heard that this might have been fixed on the BronsonC. Anybody have these issues, and if so how many frames have you gone through? At this rate ill be replacing frame and/or rear triangle every 2-3 months!!!! Was this issue actually fixed on the BronsonC as well??? The frame is stronger than anything else I've ever ridden its just this one weak spot that is starting to drive me nuts!

mtbr member
    Sounds like if it is a consistent issue there will probably be a fix in the pipeline from the OEM. A reputable mfg will work to rectify an engineering/production error even if it may take time to show up as a fix. Stay in contact with the company and you may be pleased with the results.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by supersedona View Post
    Sounds like if it is a consistent issue there will probably be a fix in the pipeline from the OEM. A reputable mfg will work to rectify an engineering/production error even if it may take time to show up as a fix. Stay in contact with the company and you may be pleased with the results.
    Oh trust me I am, I love this bike and SC regardless of this issue. I'm just trying to understand how widespread this issue is as I've seen it on every carbon frame from 2010 on. The rest of the frame and carbon is impeccable and I have absolutely no complaints other than this one area.

mtbr member

On my 2nd frame, a 2013 now, starting to get the same circle crack again. Haven't called Willie yet.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hi,

I am on my 3rd TRc swingarm the first was an 135mm (V1?) version, the second was an 142mm. This is in the space of 5/6 months. For my 3rd I was considering asking them for an alu version.

It sucks because I love the bike but clearly there is an issue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    My friends NomadC also had the same circle crack in the rear triangle around the axle threads. Hopefully moving forward with the full carbon V10 and the Bronson it will be a non issue.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NickShepherd View Post
    Hi,

I am on my 3rd TRc swingarm the first was an 135mm (V1?) version, the second was an 142mm. This is in the space of 5/6 months. For my 3rd I was considering asking them for an alu version.

It sucks because I love the bike but clearly there is an issue.
    I love the carbon but I can't keep having a down bike for 2 weeks every 3 months due to this issue. So from what I've read TRc, XCc, LTc, and NomadC all have the same issues? What about the BronsonC, was anything changed on the pivot point?
    Last edited by h20-50; 05-14-2013 at 11:53 PM.

mtbr member
    I'm on my first frame, a new 2012, it has just developed the crack after 6 months.

I too hope that SC update their design here, a 5 year warranty means little when you're dealing with the hassle of changing bikes twice (or more) a year.

It's a shame because the TRc feels absolutely bomber for trail riding, and I love it, but the niggle will always be there until the production is updated.

Can anyone explain how they've changed the manufacturing for the Bronson?
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

taste it
    Any images available of this fault discussed

******ed or Branded??
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks View Post
    Any images available of this fault discussed
    +1.
    .Hoog just texted me and said it's "Surface area to G2 tangential force vector ratio optimization. "

mtbr member
    Plenty of threads if you search here/google for "santa cruz" carbon crack circular/linkage etc
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

mtbr member
    Is the actual place where the frame is cracking an area of great stress?

Does the crack get bigger over the course of time or it just appears??

My question would be: Could you potentially ride the frame for the rest of the season and then swap it when the season is done??

mtbr member

Here's what the crack looks like:

Carbon disbonding issues....-imageuploadedbytapatalk1368459228.009628.jpg

That's from the frame that was warrantied. My 2013 frame isn't that bad yet.
    It's not a structural crack in the carbon layup. It's a dis/unbonding (as the thread title says) of the threaded metal insert for the lower pivot bolt and the carbon of the rear triangle.

As far as the update on the Bronson frame - it's just something that was mentioned in the 4/1 press release. I'll find the quote in just a sec.

Edit:
    Here's the bullet point from the press release:
    Co-molded aluminum hardware on frame pivots: no bonding.

I assumed that meant a fix to this issue.
    I mentioned it in the 4/1 thread and I think that's what people are referring to as the fix.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoro View Post
    Is the actual place where the frame is cracking an area of great stress?

Does the crack get bigger over the course of time or it just appears??

My question would be: Could you potentially ride the frame for the rest of the season and then swap it when the season is done??

Yes the crack does get worse over time. Although, I think you could ride it for quite a while with no adverse effects.

As far as waiting for the end of the season - I'm in northern California and there is no "season". I'm lucky enough to ride all year long.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Here is my crack on my first 2012 frame which was replaced with a 2013 frame

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368459228.009628.jpg 
Views:	1836 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	798665

It's not a structural crack in the carbon layup. It's a dis/unbonding (as the thread title says) of the threaded metal insert for the lower pivot bolt and the carbon of the rear triangle.

As far as the update on the Bronson frame - it's just something that was mentioned in the 4/1 press release. I'll find the quote in just a sec.

Edit:

I mentioned it in the 4/1 thread and I think that's what people are referring to as the fix.
    This is what I was referring to. I hope this fixes the issue and I really hope that the same method is used in the 2014 TRc when they do come out. I have a sneaky suspicion that I will end up with a 2014 frameset one day

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mestapho View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368459228.009628.jpg 
Views:	1836 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	798665

Edit:

What do you suspect would happen if you carried on using the frame after this crack appeared? I've not taken one of these apart but I'm assuming from what you're saying that the metal insert would eventually lose any connection with the frame and it'd be impossible to tighten the bottom link, is that correct?
    Santa Cruz Blur TRc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.E View Post
    What do you suspect would happen if you carried on using the frame after this crack appeared? I've not taken one of these apart but I'm assuming from what you're saying that the metal insert would eventually lose any connection with the frame and it'd be impossible to tighten the bottom link, is that correct?
    That's what I think would happen, the whole thing would just spin freely with no connection to the rear triangle.

mtbr member
    I had no idea this was an issue. Now you all have me worried. Guess I'll keep an eye on that area...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve.E View Post
    I could feel mine going before I even saw the hairline crack. The back end started twisting under heavy effort and felt sloppy. I suspect this is what it would feel like if the pivot hardware was loose. Checked mine, rode it... still felt terrible. Probably about 2 rides later the crack was visible. I think before you got to the point you couldn't tighten it, you'd be pretty disappointed with the lack of stiffness in the lower link. If the insert is not circular, it might not spin, but it will still feel terrible.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by robsetsfire View Post
    I could feel mine going before I even saw the hairline crack. The back end started twisting under heavy effort and felt sloppy. I suspect this is what it would feel like if the pivot hardware was loose. Checked mine, rode it... still felt terrible. Probably about 2 rides later the crack was visible. I think before you got to the point you couldn't tighten it, you'd be pretty disappointed with the lack of stiffness in the lower link. If the insert is not circular, it might not spin, but it will still feel terrible.
    I completely agree with this statement especially if you ride pretty hard and kick the back end out often. If you just XC ride and take time enjoying the trails you should be fine with the crack but it will eventually require a warranty frame and/or rear triangle. But if you bomb the trails it should probably be replaced the first chance you get just in case. The good news is that SC warranty dept is spot on, just email them a photo or two of the crack and a copy of the purchase receipt and they will take care of you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    I had no idea this was an issue. Now you all have me worried. Guess I'll keep an eye on that area...
    I don't think you should be too worried, it won't self destruct on the trail by any means.

GMM
    mtbr member
    I thought this was a TRc issue. Is it also an issue with the TBc and TBLTc? I was hoping one would be my next bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GMM View Post
    I thought this was a TRc issue. Is it also an issue with the TBc and TBLTc? I was hoping one would be my next bike.
    Don't let this thread deter you at all. The frames are rock solid, provide excellent stiffness and can be put through their paces without any hesitation. This issue isn't with the carbon it's with this one little insert and depending on how you ride some people have never had this issue . I ride my bike fairly aggressive and I expect that's why I see this issue, but it wouldn't stop me from buying another SC carbon bike, not for a second!

unpossibles
    I wonder if SC is already working the update into the other models, delaying ship times? My TBLTc is taking a long time to arrive.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast