mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Carbon and a big guy....

So, I have been thinking of buying a new bike. I have been looking at the Tallboy LT both alum. and carbon. Along with waiting for the Bronson to come in for a demo to our shop. I have been told by the Santacruz employee's that me being 275lbs wouldn't matter if I were to purchase a carbon bike. Since carbon was getting more and more popular, I've always stayed away since I always thought it wasn't something a person my size rode. SC assured me that I wouldn't have a problem.

What do you guys think? My gut is telling me to try it, my head is telling me its probably not a good idea. I don't know which way to go with it.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Drew.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I currently weight 250 bare naked, and probably 265 geared up. I have been riding carbon Santa Cruz bikes since 2010. I have not had a single issue with the durability of their frames. I don't think you will have a problem, especially if Santa Cruz themselves are telling you that you will be fine. They have a 5 year warranty on their frames now, so I say go for it. You will not regret it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks for such a swift response. I just figured having the carbon fibres inside my body would suck. I guess the engineering of carbon has made strides in the past few years.

mtbr member
    There's a famous vid of a carbon frame getting the crap beat out of it at santa cruz. Watch that and all your concerns will be gone. Carbon is way stronger than alu.

mtbr member

Ninja Master Powers
    I'm 235 geared up been riding a Nomad C for over a year no. Just bought my son a AL Nomad a month ago and rode that a few times.

The difference in frame stiffness is huge. The carbon Nomad does not flex, or at least does not flex enough that its noticeable. I can feel the AL Nomad flex.

I've also put Enve's on mt Nomad C they make immediate and very noticeable difference in the ride. Between the wheels and the frame the Nomad C is extremely stiff under my weight.

rox
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    the carbon is stiffer and stronger. I would be more worried about having an issue with aluminum flexing

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I weigh 310. Been on a heckler since 06. Busted spokes from little drops but the frame is tough as nails. With that said my next will be carbon tallboy lt or Bronson.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thanks everyone. I guess the answer is in the material. Carbon it is! now i'm pumped! the next question is which groupo to buy lol