Ninja Master Powers

Can't get grease into lower link

First sorry for typos or weird words, I'm posting this from my iPad.

About six weeks ago I bought a new AL Nomad with RAM build for my Sons 16th birthday.

Ive been doing some upgrades on amount other things I just put on a Chris King BB and XT crank set. While I was working on the bottom end of the bike I decided I would go ahead and lube the lower link with the same grease I was putting in the CK bottom bracket.

I'm using the same grease and grease gun that came with my Nomad C which I bought late last spring. So it's the "old" grease gun that uses cartridges and the grease that came with that grease gun which is Sta-Lube Marine grease, the blue stuff.
    As I mentioned I've been using this grease gun and grease on both the CK bottom bracket and lower kink on my Nomad C for about a year now with no problem from either the gun or the grease.

The shop where I bought the bike forgot to give me the gun and grease for the new bike when I got it. I frankly forgot about it myself until a week or so ago but I've never gone back for for a couple reasons; one of which I already a "Santa Cruz" grease gun and grease, didn't feel any real need for another sine the one I have works perfectly fine.

Or so I thought…

hetes the problem. I pushed the fitting onto the zero in the link on my sons bike and no grease will go through the zerk into the link. It piles up and makes a mess around the outside of the zerk and all over the link.

The gun worked fine with the CK tool used to grease the bearings on my CK bottom bracket but won't put grease through the zerk/link.

This is the new lower link with the angled zeros by the way. The zeros also look to be screw in rather than press in like my Nomad C; is this correct?

I took a o-ring pick and pushed the ball check valve into the zerk to make sure it was opening.

No luck grease just would not in the link, it just piled up Arendt thezerk and all over the lower link.

Next I used the grease gun on the "older" link on my Nomad C. Attached the gun to zerk pumped and grease went right in with no problem.

Has anyone else had this problem luring the lower link, and, if so how did you fix it. How did you get grease to into the link through the zerk and not pile up around the zerk etc.

someone else has to have experienced this and tree must be a solution.

Thank you in advance for your help.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Do you actually tighten gun after attaching? You know, this knurled cup should be tightened once gun is attached to fittings.
    My nomad (late 2012 but open dropouts) has classic fittings, press then tighten

Ninja Master Powers
    I've never had to loosen the fitting on the gun. The only reason for loosening it was to keep from pulling out one of the press in zerks on the older link.

I figured if I pulled one out I'd just press one back in or tap the hole and use a threaded zerk. I've never had any problem with the older link on my Nomad C, still don't.

But I can't get grease into the angled zerks on the newer link.
    The zerks on the newer link look to be threaded so there shouldn't be a issue with them pulling out.

mtbr member
    Could be the grease nipples are blocked. Happens all the time on my camper trailer and does exactly what you're describing. Just go to an auto parts store and get some new ones, screw out the old ones and replace. Make sure they have the same thread. Easy.

ps.. where i come from we call them "grease nipples", not "zerks". Grease nipples is much more fun to say. ; )

Ninja Master Powers
    Quote Originally Posted by markymark View Post
    Could be the grease nipples are blocked. Happens all the time on my camper trailer and does exactly what you're describing. Just go to an auto parts store and get some new ones, screw out the old ones and replace. Make sure they have the same thread. Easy.

ps.. where i come from we call them "grease nipples", not "zerks". Grease nipples is much more fun to say. ; )
    LOL… grease nipple is better.

I'm calling Santa Cruz tomorrow to find out what size they are. Would be kind of weird being as the bike is a few weeks old and I put "grease nipple" covers on them as soon as I got the bike home but that's what I'm thinking too.

Anyone using the new Santa Cruz grease gun, how does it work.

mtbr member
    Maybe they'll send you some new ones, or even a new lower link??? It's not a big deal though, zerks/nipples clog up all the time, maybe even the ones on your bike were faulty from the factory, who knows?. They are a $1 part so no drama.

mtbr member
    try pulling the axles out of the lower link first and then shooting grease through there. This happens on my Blur LTc and when the axles are out of there, grease flows thru easily. when the axles are on, its really hard to get it to flow. obviously not ideal, but maybe will give you an idea of whether the grease nipples are messed up or not.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I initially had a similar problem with my Tallboy LTc, but I think the majority of the issues associated with greasing the lower links all stem from problems with the gun, not the bikes. In general, I've found that these guns all pretty much suck out of the box. But before I started using my current one (Lubrimatic 30-192), I drizzled Phil's tenacious on/into ALL the threaded surfaces and let each sit overnight. The difference was incredible. Just that one step turned a very poorly manufactured and frustrating device into a helpful tool. After treating with Phil's, I was able to properly loosen and tighten the tip of the gun, meaning I could get it on and off with relative ease, AND I could tighten the tip enough to prevent grease from pouring out of the nipple/gun interface.

Two other observations: I've found it helpful to hold onto the seat tube and push against the gun when pumping grease; and the whole process in general seemed much easier when my frame was stripped of as much weight as possible.

Hope that helps.

b a n n e d
    This is a new frame, right? You know they come prefilled with grease, and you should NOT be forcing grease in there, lest you want to risk blowing the seals. On my Blur, I always reach a point where no more grease will go in. And yes, I know it purges out the sides, but it still fills and won't accept more. I'd ride the frame for a few months and then try to grease the link.

Has SC started including grease guns again with their frames? I know they stopped for a while . . . .
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

Ninja Master Powers
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Has SC started including grease guns again with their frames? I know they stopped for a while . . . .
    I was not aware they stopped, maybe that's why I didn't get one with this bike. I just though the shop forgot to give it to me.

mtbr member
    On a new bike the grease should pump through easily, no chance of "blowing the seals" you should be able to pump through as much grease as you want. It's designed that way, the grease should pump out evenly around the bearing caps. Have been thinking about it though, it might not be blocked nipples, it might be blocked inside, do what sooner said and take the whole thing apart, clean out and try pumping grease through when it's off the bike.