mtbr member
    May 2007

Cane Creek DB / Nomad

New to this site, so i don't know if this has been posted: i got a Nomad w/ dhx 5 coil: the bike is great, but not when moving real fast through small bumps. i ride places that require a bit of pedaling to get to the fast flowy trails w/ jumps and drops. i have the pro pedal set @ 10 click in out of 15. i feel if i click out i will lose the pedal advantage: so im thinking of a CCDB to resolve this prob. anyone have this ccdb set up and can give imput before i buy.
    see this link for the type of riding we do around here: im the clown toward the end of this vid.
    That's my friend bikezilla on the first portion on this flick. enjoy

http://joybean.com/BeansBikes/Movies...m_5-6-2008.mov

TNC
    noMAD man
    Steve, while I would highly recommend a CCDB...and that's without even riding one personally...I think you're putting too much stake in the Propedal aspect of your DHXC. I have a PUSH'd Fox RC coil that has no pedal platform of any kind, along with a non-SPV Evolver 6 air shock. IMO the Nomad just doesn't need any platform in the rear shock. So, that said, have you actually run your DHXC with the Propedal turned completely off?...Your text in your post sounded like you hadn't done this. And if you're concerned that your DHXC will cause pedal bob without the Propedal engaged, I can say fairly surely that the CCDB will be even more active and be at least as much prone to pedal bob.

The bottom line, however, is that I think you'll find the Nomad to be relatively immune to any problematic pedal bob. Another option since you already have a DHXC is to get it PUSH'd. The positive reports of performance improvement on a Nomad with a PUSH'd DHXC are almost unanimous. That said, if you have plenty of bucks and just want a CCDB, then I can't imagine you'd be disappointed. Maybe the best option would be to get the DHXC PUSH'd, try it out, and if it doesn't totally satisfy all your requirments...keep it as a backup and still get the CCDB. Everyone needs a backup shock anyway IMO.

Some Assembly Required
    1st of all this is on a VP Free, ok that said,
    I would experiment w/the DHX propedal before I spent any coin. The good thing about the CCDB is you can adjust the compression & rebound of the low speed movements & the high speed movements w/o the adjustments affecting any of the others. So you can pretty much dial it in for no bob or any other type of riding, but I would play w/the DHX 1st, then I would entertain the though of gettin' it PUSH'd like TNC said. I also have a PUSH'd DHX for a bk up to my CCDB. If I had gotten the DHX PUSH'd before I bought th' CCDB I would've been satisfied w/the DHX after it came back from PUSH & not bought the CCDB. Let me say that I'm glad I have the CCDB & I think it is the better of the 2 shocks, but I the PUSH'd DHX is a very good shock and you will love it. It's worth every dime it costs & the time it takes to send it & get it back.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

mtbr member
    May 2007
    what would u guys think of this: get the ccdb, put it on and send the fox to push, then if the ccdb ever has any problems i have a backup. the cost to do this doesn't bother me as much as down time waiting for the fox to return. it's summer riding season here in new york, and down time is not an option.

mtbr member
    I had the DHX-C on my Nomad and i used to run it with the PP completely off. The bike didn't bob around or anything but it was still too harsh over small bumps for my liking.

I went for the CCDB with a ti spring and have been really happy with the factory settings. I've tried a few clicks difference either side of the actory settings but i'm now back where i started. This is a brilliant shock and you won't be disappointed in it if you go for it. I was originally a little worried about making changes to the 4 different adjustments (ignoring preload), but there is nothing to worry about. It's not an overly complicated shock to adjust, it just requires a ring spanner and screwdriver so you can't change anything on-the-fly. I never made any on-the-fly adjustments with the DHX-C either so no problems there for me.

The DHX-C is now my backup shock.

Almost forgot... I'm running a 50lb lihter spring on the CCDB compared to te DHX-C, (450 vs 500), but i haven't had any problems with bottoming out. The daping quality of the CCDB is what makes this shock so amazing. It's instantly noticable, for me at least.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au
    I had the DHX-C on my Nomad and i used to run it with the PP completely off. The bike didn't bob around or anything but it was still too harsh over small bumps for my liking.

I went for the CCDB with a ti spring and have been really happy with the factory settings. I've tried a few clicks difference either side of the actory settings but i'm now back where i started. This is a brilliant shock and you won't be disappointed in it if you go for it. I was originally a little worried about making changes to the 4 different adjustments (ignoring preload), but there is nothing to worry about. It's not an overly complicated shock to adjust, it just requires a ring spanner and screwdriver so you can't change anything on-the-fly. I never made any on-the-fly adjustments with the DHX-C either so no problems there for me.

The DHX-C is now my backup shock.

Almost forgot... I'm running a 50lb lihter spring on the CCDB compared to te DHX-C, (450 vs 500), but i haven't had any problems with bottoming out. The daping quality of the CCDB is what makes this shock so amazing. It's instantly noticable, for me at least.
    Great info! I have a CCDB on the way. Just can't decide between putting it on the Nomad or the VP-Free. Kinda leaning to the VP-Free install.
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

Some Assembly Required
    Quote Originally Posted by $teve.00
    what would u guys think of this: get the ccdb, put it on and send the fox to push, then if the ccdb ever has any problems i have a backup. the cost to do this doesn't bother me as much as down time waiting for the fox to return. it's summer riding season here in new york, and down time is not an option.
    That's exactly what I did, except I'm using the CCDB as my primary & the PUSH'd DHX as my bk-up. I like both, but I like the CCDB better. I bought the CCDB & then sent th' DHX to get PUSH'd. My guess is that if you can do with out the DHX for about 3 weeks, get it PUSH'd and then you probably won't even want the CCDB. Just my experience.
    "Why are you willing to take so much & leave others in need...just because you can?"

Lord of the Chainrings
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudd
    Great info! I have a CCDB on the way. Just can't decide between putting it on the Nomad or the VP-Free. Kinda leaning to the VP-Free install.
    It's currently on the VP-Free. Will give it a "whirl" this week!

E-mail from Scott at SC....

We actually have not spent any time with a CCDB, and we don't plan on adding any new OE rear shock options anytime soon. I think the price factors into that decision a bit, and that we don't want to stock a lot of product that may sit on the shelves.
    Let us know how you like it though!

Cheers
    Scott

Scott Turner - Santa Cruz Bicycles
    Santa Cruz, California
    scott@santacruzbicycles.com
    www.santacruzbicycles.com

mtbr member

Steve> How bout the Bottom out?

1st> the problem your describing has less to do with the PP and more to do with your bottom out control AKA the boost valve(e.g. harsh ride). Check your air presure in the bottom out valve to make sure it is at 100psi, then check that your presure is good in the main chamber (see the SC set up manual that came with your Nomad).
    There are 3 lines on the Bottom out Control> I run mine at 1.5 or with 1 line showing above the blue; the more you turn that adjustment in, the more progressive your travel or the more suited for super buff and flowey trail with little jibbs; the more you turn it out, the more lin you will be through the travel or the more suited for big drops or ledge worlds like Porc Rim (use a hex wrnech to help turn it).

For example, I turn mine all the way out for Porc Rim runs where I know it will be non-stop violence for 2 hours! Other wise, I ride with the Bottom out in at 1.5 like I said and I ride in Colorado on techy and buff single track with occasional hits.

Hope that helps

BTW> Cane Creek is junk!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    breckseth.
    i went to check the dhx for what u are saying. correct me if im wrong here. the bottom out shows + to be clockwise and - Counter CW. i have mine all in clockwise which to me should be the most progressive bottom out i can get out of the shock. i also have about 140 psi. and i run a 500 spring.

mtbr member

Correct...

I would guess that may be why you are experiencing a "harsh" ride. Try a 45 minute ride with the bottom out turned counterclockwise to the half way setting and see if that helps. Your pressure may be OK, I had for gotten that it was a coil and not air. I can check my set up manual later when I get home for you and let you know the correct pressure.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by man w/ one hand
    That's exactly what I did, except I'm using the CCDB as my primary & the PUSH'd DHX as my bk-up. I like both, but I like the CCDB better. I bought the CCDB & then sent th' DHX to get PUSH'd. My guess is that if you can do with out the DHX for about 3 weeks, get it PUSH'd and then you probably won't even want the CCDB. Just my experience.
    Agreed, I use the same set up on my 6 inch bike ... the CCDB rocks.
    Simple | Proven | Reliable

http://chumbaracing.blogspot.com/

Lord of the Chainrings
    This shock ROCKS!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    May 2007
    So u fellas r saying i should get 1.

Some Assembly Required
    This shock ROCKS!
    Awesome ain't it. Lovin' mine too. To the OP "YES, GET ONE"!!!!!

Lord of the Chainrings
    Call Mark:

"We got Cane Creek to build it for the Nomad and can get you a CCDB for your Nomad. Mark 678-571-8825"

not so super...
    Steve - Even though my bike resembles a smaller version of Zilla's here is my .02

Get the CCDB. I had a CCDB - got a Factory Race Push DHX - getting another CCDB.

You just can't beat the adjustability and control the CCDB gives.
    Nothing to see here.

Members who have read this thread: 0