Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    27

    Cane Creek DB Air on Heckler?

    I am looking to replace my horrid Float r shock. I live in NJ and ride just about all terrains on my heckler. I love grinding out long climbs and hitting some XC, but nothing gets me more excited then hitting some fast gnarly downhills and tech stuff (hitting fruita and moab this summer too). I have been looking at all the different options for replacing my current shock and am torn. I keep reading the coil is the route to go and it may be, but will it slow me down a lot with the weight penalty in the climbs. My bike is already a hefty 33lbs. How is the DB air. It sounds like an awesome shock and was wondering how it mates up with the single pivot design of the heckler? Any other opinions or suggestions would be well appreciated... WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!???

    Thanks guys!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: jaymo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    64
    I would like to know also. I just got the 13 Heckler and love it, but think a sprung rear shock would handle the rocks I see daily.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 11053's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,470
    You'll get great results from a 2013 RP23 on the Heckler.
    Low volume air can + the ability to tune in low speed compression in trail mode for the climbs is what you need.
    Open it up for the descents and you'll love it.
    RS Monarchs are good too.
    Depending on the year of Float R it's likely you are blowing through travel on big hits and don't have the low speed compression dialed in for the climbs and body movement/weight shifts. It's a good shock, but not very tuneable in stock form.
    CCDBA is an awesome shock, but you don't need it for the Heckler.
    You can certainly get the CCDBA dialed in on that bike, but you would also see a big improvement from the latest RP23 Factory model.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: woahey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,290
    I've got the Monarch Plus on my Heckler, upgraded from the Float R. It like it a lot. A lot of my local trails are similar in feel to Fruita and Moab and it handles the chunky stuff well. Also, it's good for the days when I wind up climbing for a couple of hours before bombing back down the trail.
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,500
    Low volume with no ProPedal is the way to go on the Heckler. I have had a Fox DHX5.0 coil, Fox Float R standard can, and Rockshox Monarch RT3 HV and standard cans. The Monarch RT3 standard volume can feels as good as the DHX5.0 coil did, although I miss the easy bottom out adjustment. As long as it's not a high volume canister, the Cane Creek Double Air should be amazing on your bike. Just make sure to take the time to dial it in!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    366
    If I remember correctly, the heckler uses an 8.5 x 2.5 shock, so you have a few options. I ran the marzocchi Roco Air WC piggyback shock on my butcher and liked it quite a bit. The shock was a huge step up from the float and the bike finally felt like it had 150mm of travel. The shock had no pro pedal or platform, but never felt like it wallowed through travel like the float. On downhill sections it soaked up chatter and had enough bottom out resistance for the bigger drops along the way.

    Either way, I think your on the right track buying a CCDB or piggyback for use on a single pivot.

    My 2c

    Mountain at Tree Fort Bikes

    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    27
    Does the dbair actually fit the heckler? Or are there clearance issues with that big air canister which i know is bigger then the coil.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    27
    Ordered the dbair for my heckler

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    366
    Good choice!

    Post a few pics and give a ride report once you get it dialed in
    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    27
    I dont have much experience with tuning suspension, hopefully I get the hang of dialing this puppy in quickly. Im leaving on my road trip out west in 2 weeks!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    27
    Ill definitely leave a report on how it feels on the single pivot design for sure.

  12. #12
    Creepy tooth fairy
    Reputation: HELLBELLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    557
    I have had Double Barrels on 3 different SC bikes. A Heckler (2.0), a Nomad (1.0) and now my Butcher (DB Air). They are the best shock on the market for Enduro/AM/Freeride/DH or whatever the hell you wanna call your aggressive riding. While I think the DB is great on all of those bikes, the differences are more pronounced on single pivot bikes. I will be very surprised if you don't love it. Cane Creek provides fantastic customer support too. You will be ripping it up in no time.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    27
    Thats very encouraging to hear! You had the coil on your heckler? Hopefully the air works out well with it.

  14. #14
    Creepy tooth fairy
    Reputation: HELLBELLY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    557
    Quote Originally Posted by Baller30 View Post
    Thats very encouraging to hear! You had the coil on your heckler? Hopefully the air works out well with it.

    Yeah the Schmeckler had a DB coil. The DB Air feels very similar. I had a Pushed Fox on my Butcher for a year and a half and it was decent especially considering that I scored of eBay for $120. However, the DB Air is at another level entirely. You'll see.
    the going won't get good 'til I'm good and gone

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    27
    So my Heckler has transformed in the past couple weeks. Finally got my DBair mounted on in place of my float r. Swapped out my avid juicy 3 brakes for Shimano xt's with 180 icetech rotors front and back. New continental tires all around and converted to tubeless. Blackspire stinger installed. And a KS dropper post. Hopefully she is all set to take on the likes of Moab, Fruita, Monarch Crest, Sun Valley etc.. On my 1 month road trip out west next week.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ATXZJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by Baller30 View Post
    So my Heckler has transformed in the past couple weeks. Finally got my DBair mounted on in place of my float r. Swapped out my avid juicy 3 brakes for Shimano xt's with 180 icetech rotors front and back. New continental tires all around and converted to tubeless. Blackspire stinger installed. And a KS dropper post. Hopefully she is all set to take on the likes of Moab, Fruita, Monarch Crest, Sun Valley etc.. On my 1 month road trip out west next week.

    Good to hear! Now post some pics........














    SC:12' Butcher (sold)
    SC:12' Superlight 29er (sold)
    SC:12' Juliana (wife's)
    SC:12' TBLT

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    324
    Pics! Pics! Pics!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Baller30 View Post
    I am looking to replace my horrid Float r shock. I live in NJ and ride just about all terrains on my heckler. I love grinding out long climbs and hitting some XC, but nothing gets me more excited then hitting some fast gnarly downhills and tech stuff (hitting fruita and moab this summer too). I have been looking at all the different options for replacing my current shock and am torn. I keep reading the coil is the route to go and it may be, but will it slow me down a lot with the weight penalty in the climbs. My bike is already a hefty 33lbs. How is the DB air. It sounds like an awesome shock and was wondering how it mates up with the single pivot design of the heckler? Any other opinions or suggestions would be well appreciated... WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!???

    Thanks guys!
    The ccdb air Santa Cruz heckler combo works like a dream. The shock fits easily into the frame. The ride is improved exponentially

  19. #19
    eb5
    eb5 is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eb5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    94
    Here's what mine looks like I'm still dialing it in, but so far its been an improvement to the Float I blew out.

    Cane Creek DB Air on Heckler?-heckler.jpg

Similar Threads

  1. Cane Creek 110/40
    By kragu in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2012, 07:47 AM
  2. Anybody use a Cane Creek Angleset on their Heckler?
    By Lowkey1505 in forum Santa Cruz
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-21-2012, 04:49 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-29-2011, 06:32 PM
  4. Cane Creek DB Air Can
    By Karve in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-04-2011, 03:52 PM
  5. Cane Creek AER
    By TheRedMantra in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-28-2011, 07:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •