bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Cancelled my 2007 Superlight Order Today!

Well, I hate to say it and I hated even more to do it but I cancelled my 2007 Superlight frame order today. I've always been a SC fan and have bought and ridden 5 different SC bikes for many years but I'll probably be cancelling Santa Cruz from any of my wishlists for many years to come.

I know we've all heard this before with Santa Cruz and I can deal with wait times and a few delays here and there as long as the company I'm dealing with tries to be honest and up front with me.

Here's the story, I put in an order for an XL SL slate ano RP23 frame in early March. I new it would be a 2+ month wait and was prepared for that when I ordered the frame. I contacted SC after placing the order and asked for a leadtime on the frame (my LBS is way too gunshy to promise SC delivery dates nowadays) and they came back with "you'll get it before June for sure, I'll make it happen!". I followed up late April and got the it's "shipping this week!". I waited around for a couple of weeks wondering how long a shipment from Santa Cruz to Surrey, BC takes (just across the border from Wa state) and decided to follow up with SC again. Apparently they had my order "picked" and ready to go but something went wrong and it didn't happen. Now the next possibly shipment date was May 21st but again it was a no go. SC offered to find some other color options so I asked them to tell me what they have but never heard back from them again. One more follow up resulted in no reply again so I finally gave up and asked them what was going on but again - no reply. I was professional throughout the whole thing and finally e-mailed them to tell them that I was cancelling my order if I couldn't get some sort of idea if I'd ever get my frame.

I was just tired of the lies and excuses so I've decided to take my money and go with a company that'll stand behind their promises. I've always been happy with Giant and Cannondale, maybe they'll get my business for the next 10 years!

banned
    Nice work. I love a good cancel.

ntj
    guidedbybicycles
    I did the same thing on the weekend, I felt the same way, and I heard the same stories. I'm going into summer now and the trails all grow over and become infested with spiders. If it arrived now I'd have a nice new frame sitting round till the end of the year when I could start riding. Bummer, I was really looking forward to that frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    You could have just ordered one off the shelf like my friend did from Colorado Cyclist and had it in 3 days.

ntj
    guidedbybicycles
    I might have, if importing it to another country didn't involve hassles (getting the shop to send it to a friend in the US and having them it sent on) and voiding the warranty.

SS Pusher Man
    Quote Originally Posted by bog
    Well, I hate to say it and I hated even more to do it but I cancelled my 2007 Superlight frame order today. I've always been a SC fan and have bought and ridden 5 different SC bikes for many years but I'll probably be cancelling Santa Cruz from any of my wishlists for many years to come.

I know we've all heard this before with Santa Cruz and I can deal with wait times and a few delays here and there as long as the company I'm dealing with tries to be honest and up front with me.

Here's the story, I put in an order for an XL SL slate ano RP23 frame in early March. I new it would be a 2+ month wait and was prepared for that when I ordered the frame. I contacted SC after placing the order and asked for a leadtime on the frame (my LBS is way too gunshy to promise SC delivery dates nowadays) and they came back with "you'll get it before June for sure, I'll make it happen!". I followed up late April and got the it's "shipping this week!". I waited around for a couple of weeks wondering how long a shipment from Santa Cruz to Surrey, BC takes (just across the border from Wa state) and decided to follow up with SC again. Apparently they had my order "picked" and ready to go but something went wrong and it didn't happen. Now the next possibly shipment date was May 21st but again it was a no go. SC offered to find some other color options so I asked them to tell me what they have but never heard back from them again. One more follow up resulted in no reply again so I finally gave up and asked them what was going on but again - no reply. I was professional throughout the whole thing and finally e-mailed them to tell them that I was cancelling my order if I couldn't get some sort of idea if I'd ever get my frame.

I was just tired of the lies and excuses so I've decided to take my money and go with a company that'll stand behind their promises. I've always been happy with Giant and Cannondale, maybe they'll get my business for the next 10 years!

Let me know.....we have a XL Ano Slate Superlight haning in our shop.

mtnbikej

Trying a little
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Colossus
    Nice work. I love a good cancel.
    yet another 29Collossus nugget / Keep it up!

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogie Man
    You could have just ordered one off the shelf like my friend did from Colorado Cyclist and had it in 3 days.
    I tried Cambria and Colorado Cyclist. Even though I live 2 minutes from the border and could have picked it up at a US address they wouldn't send one to me because of my Canadian billing address. How lame is that??
    Last edited by bog; 06-04-2007 at 07:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Man that sux! I have a Ano black Bullit on order and i live in Australia, i can just see that the wait has only just begun All i seem to hear is that SC cant get it together on ETA's. It sux to see a customer waiting for a particular frame when theres one sitting on a shelf "homeless" in a store just waiting to be purchased.
    Santa cruz need to smarten up there act, they need a system that will serve the waiting customer before filling up store shelves. Basically for someone like me it looks like im going to have to wait til all the stores are filled with frames then maybe ill get mine? Or so it seems.

mtbr member
    shops order bikes for stock, they get in early. how can sc tell if its a bike for stock or a bike for a customer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Yeh man i realize that, it seems to be the problem. Im always talking to my SC guys over here in OZ and they know me and what im waiting for, i hope they think of me before a store!

MTB B'dos
    Personally I couldn't blame you with that much BS being handed out from SC, good for you. So now instead of having a SuperFlex you can maybe get the new '08 Trance which is "supposed" to drop almost a full 1.5lbs frame weight for the new incarnation or go for a nice Anthem They both pedal better anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by bog
    Well, I hate to say it and I hated even more to do it but I cancelled my 2007 Superlight frame order today. ......................... I've always been happy with Giant and Cannondale, maybe they'll get my business for the next 10 years!
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member

Well...

I can't say I blame you, but you made some, as yet to be un-named rider, very happy as his bike will be available that much sooner. That person will be the one who says, "I called and asked for an 07 Superlight and they said they had one right here...."

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

You can put 29Collossus on your ignore list

Quote Originally Posted by dusthuffer
    yet another 29Collossus nugget / Keep it up!
    I did. It's great when he posts and I don't even know what he said.

banned
    Apr 2004

I give three or four color choices

and get my shet right away.

banned
    Dec 2006

Any SC employees......

SC should and probably could with not too much effort, track what make. Track to where the frames go shop wise. Like the one hanging in a shop on this thread.

SC could use their inventory site that bike shops use and maybe reverse the flow of info. Their site has SC inventory, why not also show bike shop stock. So when a shop sells a frame log in to a customer area and show the frame as unavailible. When a person orders, SC could dive into the system and locate the frame and either work with the LBS or put a hold on the frame adn redirect the customer to the shop.

Then, they know where a frame is when a customer orders it, if they don't have one on hand. Talk about a little work to improve a sliding customer service image......

I might be assumeing too much, but hey its a start and off the shelf systems work this well.

mtbr member
    Once SC sell the bike to the shop, its the bikes property not SC's. All SC could do is refer a shop to another shop and that just isnt going to happen. The first shop wants their margin!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by al_bullit
    Once SC sell the bike to the shop, its the bikes property not SC's. All SC could do is refer a shop to another shop and that just isnt going to happen. The first shop wants their margin!
    Just chiming in here, while the above is true, there is no reason that Santa Cruz couldn't point someone that calls in to shops that are likely to have them in stock. I know when I wanted the recently discontinued Titus Drop-U frame, Titus gave me the names of the two dealers that had bought a lot of them, and guess what, one had what I was looking for.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

Lord of the Chainrings
    Have you tried Cambria Bikes?...

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?ID=40150
    "Hesitation is the Mother of Failure!"

~~ 951 for Dirt & Roadster for Asphalt ~~

mtbr member

Good for you !

Now you can get a Turner

banned
    Dec 2006
    Didn't know Cambria carried SC.....

I think my course of action later this year after I have the cash. The nomad is a cash only bike No plastic.....

I will get a frame that fits adn paint it. And build it up with close out deasl at the end of the season/ year....... Thanks everyone. BUT soem of you have brought up interesting alternative I had never considered. The Banshee Rune looks interesting. I need to look at it more. Intense 6.6 and the El Guapo. Turners are nice as well. Good thing I have some time!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

I think it's funny

that you cancelled your order because it didn't arrive BEFORE they told it would in the first place.

bog
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by El Train
    that you cancelled your order because it didn't arrive BEFORE they told it would in the first place.
    Maybe you should check when I posted this, unless SC could have magically faxed or e-mailed the frame to me there was a 100% chance that I would not get it before June as I stated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

I am waiting too....

for a Heckler. ordered on April 16, tomorrow will be 7 weeks, and they told me six. I am not worried. It will come, and last me another 7 years like my 2000 heckler has. Worth the wait for sure.

Members who have read this thread: 0